Light Wind - Best Bang for Your Buck

forum for kitesurfers

njrider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Brand Affiliation: None

Light Wind - Best Bang for Your Buck

Postby njrider » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:25 am

Here's my dilemma - my favorite kite (Ozone Catalyst 2012 14m) just gave up the ghost. I'm somewhat heartbroken and have been crying into my keyboard. I have a LF NRG 10M & 12M so buying a new 14 seems unnecessary. However, I hate to not have a lighter wind kite for that day when ikitesurf calls for 18kts winds and when you arrive you discover that it's only gusting 10Kts.

So...here are the kites I'm consider. At this point, I'm leaning towards the Switch kites due to price. Anyhow, I'm interested in everyone's advice....

1 - 2015 LF NRG 14M
2 - Ocean Rodeo - Flite v4 14.5
3 - Switch nitro - 14
4 - Switch Helium - 15

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Re: Light Wind - Best Bang for Your Buck

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:32 am

Pansh

and by a large margin.

njrider
Medium Poster

Postby njrider » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:40 am

I was thinking of including that Pansh A15 on the list - I notice they now sell ultralight material. I just have never owned a foil kite and have some hesitation.

rofer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: None :(
Gear: Anything I can get my hands on.
Kites include fixed bridles, nasa wings, closed foils, and arcs.
I've got a snowboard, mountainboard, and two kiteboards.

Postby rofer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:52 am

Pansh is an amazing value and probably unbeatable if you're buying new (and you use their half off sale), but I've never ridden them myself.

However, I absolutely loved my 17.5m Flite and without question I would recommend one. Unless you're really light though I'd go up to a 17m, especially if you're actually trying to get out in 10kt. By the time it was getting to be too much kite I could comfortably switch down to my 12.

njrider
Medium Poster

Postby njrider » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:59 am

Also what bar would your recommend using with the A15?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:00 am

I would lean towards the Aurora2-22m in ultralight, the Aurora1-22m is so fucking powerful. The A15 looks better for surfing, Aurora will be more fun jumping and flat water. If you have gusty wind I think the A15 will be easier. Aurora2 is still a bit of an unknown though, EricSanders hasn't even flown his yet. All up it does look a lot better than the Aurora1 but different than the A15, it has a thinner profile, a bit higher AR and a different bridle layout.

As to foil kites, the bigger ones are the easiest to fly, just don't be expecting to turn them fast at all! Who wants to pump kites especially big ones? You'll get on the water much faster and with out so much annoyance if the wind changes and you need to switch kites too. They can be really fun, and fly and go when no other kites do. Riding in lightwind on glass water is well unique and special too, something that must be tried.

On my A15-18m I use a 63cm bar, rear line to rear line measurement. On my Aurora1-22 I was using the pansh bar which is 60cm rear to rear(maybe the 65cm one on their site), I am now using a 65cm rear to rear, which gives it slightly better turning. You could use a 50cm bar with any of them but the turning would be quite slow. If modified to be a 2 to 1 pulley bar like Kiter_from_Germany did on his A18, it would be faster than any of my large bars.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, Switchblades, 14m Velocity . Cabrinha Ace, Shinn Monk, Litewave DV8

Postby matth » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:22 am

Forget about Nitro, great kite but not for light wind.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:31 am

I was thinking the same thing.

Lazy kiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Seattle
Favorite Beaches: Windy beaches
Style: On a board
Gear: What ever works

Postby Lazy kiter » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:47 am

I had a 12M NRG and found both the 15M TS and the 15.5 solo to be a good low end quiver filler. The 15.5 solo definitely had more low end out of the two.

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: sandy hook
Gear: gin 2011 zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo 2015 17m, 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace

Postby flyingcamel » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:56 am

i use the 17m flite and start having fun at 13 kts on a 165 door. i get upwind at 10kts and go smaller when it picks up to 17 wits gusts of 21. im 200 lbs so the 14.5 would be fine for you if you're lighter than 170. it turns very fast even with the bar out and likes to ride toward the edge of the window. its a great tool to learn new tricks in lighter wind so its not as painful but still feels like you are flying a smaller kite only you have to compensate for the longer travel time. not as much power through the loop though which could be a plus or minus depending on your preference. light bar pressure.

Return to “Kitesurfing”