Twin Tip Hydrofoil

Forum for kitesurfers
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Twin Tip Hydrofoil

Postby ed257 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Twin tip hyrdrofoil kitesboads seem like a good idea, but is anyone riding these?

http://www.synapsekitesurfing.co.uk/products_hf.htm

Ed
Attachments
Hyrdofoil kiteboard Barney-Townsend.jpg
Hyrdofoil kiteboard Barney-Townsend.jpg (19.87 KiB) Viewed 6553 times

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Re: Twin Tip Hydrofoil

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:57 pm

The one shop they list as carrying it doesn't seem to have it on their web site at - http://www.s2as.com/

I did find another picture of it -

http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/esbe/research/humaninteract.shtml

Kirok
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lynæs, Denmark
Nivå, Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Gudmindrup, Denmark
Ishøj, Denmark
Hvide Sande, Denmark
Style: Freeride
Gear: Mako Classic, Mako King, Core Fusion 139 cm
Core Free 9M
Core XR6 12
Flysurfer Speed3 21 M
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kirok » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:22 pm

I can think of many disadvantages of a foil board but have problems thinking of any advantages. Are they good for swells and open sea? Course racing?

Kirk

ed257
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ed257 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:29 pm

Kirok wrote:I can think of many disadvantages of a foil board but have problems thinking of any advantages. Are they good for swells and open sea? Course racing?

Kirk
I have not ridden one, but from what I understand, they reduce drag significantly - so your low end planning improves a lot. Less drag also means a lot more speed and better top speed too.

Also, because you are up off the water, it really smooths out the shop.

I am not sure if you can jump with them though.

Ed

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:07 am

I too have not ridden a foilboard but I would love to try one.

There are a number of guys with hydrofoil Moth sailboats near where we ride. Those things rock in light to moderate winds. I would love to be able to do that.

The Carafino boards are very expensive and I would not buy one without trying it first. I organised a demo board over a year ago but it never showed up. I am concerned about the bulk of the thing. Maybe the twintip board might lead to something more user friendly.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:31 pm

OzBungy wrote:I too have not ridden a foilboard but I would love to try one.

There are a number of guys with hydrofoil Moth sailboats near where we ride. Those things rock in light to moderate winds. I would love to be able to do that.

The Carafino boards are very expensive and I would not buy one without trying it first. I organised a demo board over a year ago but it never showed up. I am concerned about the bulk of the thing. Maybe the twintip board might lead to something more user friendly.
The hydrofoilboards like the Carafino (AirChair principle) are excellent in light winds it seems, and small chop.
But like you, because of the "bulk" I dont think it will really catch on...
The reason I love my new raceboard in light wind f.ex - is that I can ride in spots impossible with a windsurfer (with a 73cm fin most likely in light wind) :thumb:
No way I could ever do that with the Carafino :(

Would still love to try an AirChair type foílboard though - fascinating :D
Especially the strapless ones I saw some french guys using for racing, anyone who has more info about these ? (or these guys ?)

8) Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:57 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
The hydrofoilboards like the Carafino (AirChair principle) are excellent in light winds it seems, and small chop.
But like you, because of the "bulk" I dont think it will really catch on...
The reason I love my new raceboard in light wind f.ex - is that I can ride in spots impossible with a windsurfer (with a 73cm fin most likely in light wind) :thumb:
No way I could ever do that with the Carafino :(

Would still love to try an AirChair type foílboard though - fascinating :D
Especially the strapless ones I saw some french guys using for racing, anyone who has more info about these ? (or these guys ?)

8) Peter
yup they are...the funny thing I think is how small waves they are actually able to ride..it makes sense when you think about it, but it did take me by surprise. It is definitely not a shallow water board...and I am very careful to not hit the coralheads or anything else when I ride it, it can go in enough wind to get you out of the water. It is definitely not a board that lay in my car, but a fun alternative. It's a very very different perspective. Super smooth, but more painful to fall.

tripman
Medium Poster
Local Beach: North Sea, Channel, Brittany
Style: Surfkiting + HF + wing
Gear: Noremana 5'2 95L
Gong Hipe pro 5'1
BRM W2 4m, 5.5m
Foil Allure 1300 + 1000
KETOS 1200 + stab Karver S
Pocket KETOS 107
Board Riding Maui Cloud E 2.8, E 3.7, E 4.8, E 6.2, D 8, D 10.4
Stallion V1 TDZ 5'2''

Postby tripman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:13 pm

[/quote]
8) Peter[/quote]

You can have a look at that video to see those 3 guys on long distance.
http://www.tropheesaintclair.com/
Their performances upwind tend to make some think that they should be in a separate category (always first on the upwing buoyant), but raceboards seem better downwind (quite logical wich such "a fin").

le zee
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier, France
Favorite Beaches: Montpellier, France
Style: wakestyle
Gear: mine
Brand Affiliation: mine
Been thanked: 0

Postby le zee » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi all,

I'm Nicolas Caillou (we know together Peter!!!) and one of the guy riding the foil strapless.

I finished 2nd of 2 racing contest in France (overal of the year 4th), and the French racing Champion is a foil riding: Mac Blanc, we fighted hardly on the contests all the year long, but he is really good.

Foil riding is awesome in light wind, specially because you don't have to force to use the board and the feeling is the same as a "flying carpet".
You cannot describe the feeling if you don't know it.

here a small video about the contest in france
http://www.vimeo.com/6980941

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:31 am

Hi Nicholas
I have been riding my Carafion hydrofoil strapless ever since I saw a video of you in that race. You inspired me.

I found strapless is not too difficult and it offers a very free ride feeling just like riding a directional kiteboard strapless is more fun than with straps. I do find the strapless waterstart difficult though. And I have never even attempted your jump foot-switch to toeside, but you make it look easy.

As far as course racing goes, I tried my Carafino once in a race and did poorly. I usually do much better on a race board or even Spleene type twin tip. I think it takes a lot more skill to use a hydrofoil in a race successfully.

Overall my hydrofoil is a lot of fun and provides an incredibly smooth ride. I am most happy with mine.

Chris Glazier
Vancouver

(This picture was taken when I was using straps)

Return to “Kitesurfing”