Twin Tip Hydrofoil

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Twin Tip Hydrofoil

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:18 pm

I like the sweep in the sea-jump.

The lower wing should just have been mounted so it did not go forward of the horisontal fin/wing.

The reason I like it is, that sea weed and sea grass must be a :evil: :evil: :evil: with these boards...

Exactly as with windsurfers - where a session was totally ruined, even with just a little bit of weed (and a wave fin as I used - racing or slalom even worse...)

Seagrass is not your friend with these boards as I see it :o

Would still love to ride one :D

:thumb: Peter

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:42 am

I'm pretty ignorant on foils, but hoping to get some answers. I see why the TT won't work all that well because wings are directional. But on the directionals like the 'Fino, why only one foil? Wouldn't two (front and back) or three (tripod style) improve balance? Did anyone try this and find the drag was too high? Also, why must the foil be so far below the board? Chop?

This one has the tripod style:
Attachments
PHM-1.jpg

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:31 pm

I think the foil has to be pretty far under the water so that it doesn't suck in air from the surface. That's called ventilating.

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:09 pm

The strapless riding is due to the fact we are trying a lot of different wings, then the location of feet change as a function of the wing. This is why I ride strapless. For contests when I'll validate a wing, maybe I'll restrap (for more control)
Additionnaly, strapless is more safe at high speed (this is not real high speed, but with a foil board is not too bad).

The carafino board is perfect to learn the foilriding but the performance is not high.
Actually on the French tour (don't have time to do other ones) 4-5 people use foils. 100% of the riders have customized wings.

With the carafino wings, I'm able to ride at a max of 18knots speed.
With my current wings, I can ride at 24-25knots speed gaining in upwind ability too.
We are at the starting of the development, wait and see next season!
But love the feeling, love to ride strapless, but I miss jumps with a foil, which is super funny (specially front and back loops)

I recommend for all of you foil lovers,to take a look at : All aboard the crazy train DVD

There's a chapter of Laird Hamilton and Dave Kalama towed into Peahi on foilboards.They seem to be attached to the board into snowboard boots/bindings,and they achieve a good speed riding down the line.

Pretty stuff from the strapped crew :D :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:43 pm

mikelet wrote:
The strapless riding is due to the fact we are trying a lot of different wings, then the location of feet change as a function of the wing. This is why I ride strapless. For contests when I'll validate a wing, maybe I'll restrap (for more control)
Additionnaly, strapless is more safe at high speed (this is not real high speed, but with a foil board is not too bad).

The carafino board is perfect to learn the foilriding but the performance is not high.
Actually on the French tour (don't have time to do other ones) 4-5 people use foils. 100% of the riders have customized wings.

With my current wings, I can ride at 24-25knots speed gaining in upwind ability too.
But love the feeling, love to ride strapless, but I miss jumps with a foil, which is super funny (specially front and back loops)

I recommend for all of you foil lovers,to take a look at : All aboard the crazy train DVD

There's a chapter of Laird Hamilton and Dave Kalama towed into Peahi on foilboards.They seem to be attached to the board into snowboard boots/bindings,and they achieve a good speed riding down the line.

So true - great "being some of the first explorers" footage on that DVD - got it here from a friend visiting Maui :thumb:

8) Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
mikelet wrote:

So true - great "being some of the first explorers" footage on that DVD - got it here from a friend visiting Maui :thumb:

8) Peter
I think the speed issue is why it is much harder to ride the board they ride. It is super sensitive, like any foilboard it get more sensitive as the speed increases, but I am guessing that board can handle more speed than my carafino...which reminds me..gotta go fix the foil :-)

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:32 pm

So true - great "being some of the first explorers" footage on that DVD - got it here from a friend visiting Maui

Peter
Heli tow-in so insane also..................... :o :o

Xapo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kervel beach - France
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windsurfoil evolution- shark concept

Postby Xapo » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:57 pm

Interesting document filmed by the french TV about Bruno Andre, AHD developper.
A speed race between a windsurf on foils (plane-shaped hydrofoil) and a Moth with T-Foils.

If you do not speak French, images speak for themselves.
http://vimeo.com/8202004

marshall10488
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Flyboards

Postby marshall10488 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:08 pm

TT foil would work if it wasn't a low speed foil. noot put much thought into it but im sure a high speed foil should work.

Xapo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kervel beach - France

Postby Xapo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:32 pm

marshall10488 wrote:... im sure a high speed foil should work.
To which profiles/sections are you thinking about ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”