forum for kitesurfers

catflap
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Brand Affiliation: None

cabrinha XBow 2010 - 11mSelf launch?

Postby catflap » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:23 am

Hi

Just got this kite and took it out for the first time. Couldn't believe it 13-16mph and i was fine going upwind. I'm 183lb so cannot believe the power in that kite. Really impressed. (Only 2 other people out both on Cabrinha 14m and 15m)Great kite

The only thing that confused me was the kite when you land it gently in the water would not sit on its side at the edge of the window it just dropped down and went downwind upside down everytime. It was fine to relaunch by pulling on the line but it would not just sit at the edge of the window..

Also to self launch. i usually have attach the kite to a tree with a rope and stand it upright at the edge of the window of your guys. (theres not many kiters around here.) My old kite always just sat upright at the edge of the window while i attached myself and launched/landed. Again this kite just dropped upside down and tried to float downwind.

What have i done wrong?

thanks for your help and advice. APart from this LOVED IT. Such an improvement on my last kite. Major upgrade. So smooth light and easy to fly.

Thanks for any advice.

Richie RIch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grand Cayman - I kite out the back of my beach house :)
Style: I kind of make it up as I go along!
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: So-Chlo - Island Skate and Surf Wear

Re: cabrinha XBow 2010 - 11mSelf launch?

Postby Richie RIch » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:13 am

Before you go to launch, bring the bar towards the chicken loop, (maybe a third of the way down to begin with) and keep it in place with the adjustable bar-stop. This will put tension on the rear lines and help hold the kite up.

Position the kite at the edge of the window for self-launch and it should now stay vertical - it may bob up and down slightly

As you trot back towards the bar, keep your hand on the upper rear grey line (you'll have to jump high to get it!) to aid control of the kite position if the additional bar tension on the lines is not quite enough.

As you get to know the kite, you'll learn where on the plastic tube your bar and adjustable stopper needs to be.

On launch, be aware that the bar is already tensioned and that the adjustable bar-stop, may now not be so slidable. This may affect the amount you can depower. It depends how tight you squeezed the locking mechanism. I err on the side of caution and squeeze it up "medium" :)

Hope this helps

Richie

catflap
Rare Poster

Postby catflap » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:20 am

Hi Richie

perfect that helps a lot. Will try tomorrow. I think that will sort it.

Thanx for you help.

Richie RIch
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grand Cayman - I kite out the back of my beach house :)
Style: I kind of make it up as I go along!
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: So-Chlo - Island Skate and Surf Wear

Postby Richie RIch » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:30 am

Good stuff!

Let us know how you get on

R

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:30 pm

Richie RIch wrote:
As you trot back towards the bar, keep your hand on the upper rear grey line (you'll have to jump high to get it!) to aid control of the kite position if the additional bar tension on the lines is not quite enough.

Richie

Whoa...don't you mean the FRONT line?

Won't grabbing the rear line tend to make the kite fall over backwards and attempt to hot launch?

catflap
Rare Poster

Postby catflap » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Launched and landed perfectly..
(twice)

:)
Thanks for all your help.

JN
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby JN » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:34 pm

IWB2
Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:44 pm

Catflap,
The Cabrinha Crossbows have tons of depower, therefore if the bar is sheeted all the way out and if the winds are light as you mentioned, the kite will fall down on the leading edge rather than sitting on the edge of the wind. In higher winds the Xbow will sit at the edge of the window no problem.
Self launching....., set the kite, slightly deeper in the window, so to let the kite pin the bottom edge of the leading edge on the ground. The kite will be leaning slightly forward however will not fall flat on the leading edge.
Be careful pulling in the adjustable stopper too far towards the chicken loop as the kite could power up too much and start flying upwards (and to the other side of the window) if there is a slight imbalance in the lines. Then again if your lines are new this really should be an issue.

Return to “Kitesurfing”