Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Re: North Evo 2010

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:49 pm

I have very limited experience on the 2010 9m and 12m Evo, but just to cash in my .02...

In terms of power, the Evo feels pretty similar to last year. The kite has a slightly more "C" feel, and it's amazing unhooked, which may be why they narrowed the suggested wind range from last year's Evo. In my opinion the '09 and '10 seem to have similar windranges per size.

In general, when choosing a kite size last year, my go-to method of comparing the kites (Evo vs Rebel vs Vegas) was to take the correct Rebel size and add a sq meter for the correct Vegas size or subtract one for the Evo size: If the conditions looked right for an 8m Rebel, they were probably right for a 7m Evo or a 9m Vegas. The same broad generalization seems to be similarly applicable for the '10 kites. That method is NOT perfect (for example a 9m Rebel would have more power than a 9m Vegas, but it also has more high end if the wind picks up), but seems generally right at picking out the sweet spot of the kites.

The Fuse seems to have a similar sweetspot as the Rebel and a similar top end, but has a touch more bottom end power.

Lex123-
As to differences flying the Evo on 4 vs. 5 lines: the 5th line is not loaded, so it should have no effect on the flying performance of the kite... It is just there for safety. Same thing with the Fuse. I personally can't tell the difference when it's on a 5 or a 4 line bar. But that's been the theory for years, and there are people on this forum who swear the kite flies differently on the 4 vs 5 line bar. Maybe it has something to do with where the front lines "Y" out.

WndRdr
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby WndRdr » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:37 am

Thanks everyone for the comments.

It seems that it is 2 Evo's and 5m2 Rebel to get me covered next.

I had 10m2 Rebel 08 as my biggest kite. With winds in 10-11 knots it was absolutely in it's low end and to really get going to any air it required a knot more. 2009 Rebel 11 was just perfect for that low end without feeling a big kite as I felt the 12 already was (maybe riding too much with below 10m2 kites ;-). After Dan's comment and even the Evo has more low end I am still wondefing if I need to go to 12 instead of 10 to get enough low end to get close 10 knots with 65kg's with a twintip that was ok with Rebel 10m2 -08 in 11 knots?

Is the 12 Evo the first size feeling big?

flipper231
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flipper231 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:28 pm

Here is my history with North kites... 2008 14m and 10m, 2008 Rhino 12 and 9, 2008 Evo 15m, the 2009 rebel 12 and 9m and to finish 2010 Rebel 14, 12 and 9m. I weight 190 lbs and i sail in crappy gusty wind that goes from 5-25 in seconds and drops just as fast. I tried the 09 11m and that kite was less powerful than the 12m than what just 1m size difference would explain. So if the 11m gets you going in or near 10knots then you are all set since the top end of the 11 was much higher also. If this is kept for 2010 I would go for 11 because of your wight. My no1 kite is the 12, very crisp, no fat cow for sure but still not the same as the 9 which of course is more responsive especially if you leave it on the wide bar. The 12m will get you going in 10 knots no worries, especially if you have a big board (I get going upwind in 10 knots on a 150x48 TT, it keeps me up throught the lulls in 6-8 knots, but the kite has to move around). So at 165lbs, 11m is quite a good choice, the 12m would garantee a better ride in the low-end but you would need to pack it around 23knots (depends on your abilities here). I find the 2010 to have more grunt than the 2008 (and flies much better overall, the kite hardly back stalls and does not nose dive) but the same or a tad more high end. High end is a mtter of personal preferences, I like to sail the bar close to me so I do pull the depower quite fast and change kite as soon as I need to start reaching for the bar when riding... At that point there is still plenty of depower on the bar left to handle gusts... I may switch to Fuze when they come out for the low-end, unless I change completely since I prefer 4 line kites with split fronts over a high ''Y'' like the EVO. Although I love my EVO and this is my ultimate low-wind machine, I still ride it with 5 lines since I hate its safety system, the 08 does not flip on its back.
My 2 cents.

lbatbeach
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby lbatbeach » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:08 pm

This may be a little late but I just got my 2010 Evo 8m. I weigh 160lbs (72kg or so). I ride at a down the line wave spot mostly side shore conditions with steady wind. I have had 3 sessions on the Evo 8m. The first strapless on a 5'5 fish in about 17knts. The second, strapped on a 5'8 Stretch quad in about 20 knots. The last again on the quad but in about 23 knots. Each session the waves were waist to head high. Have not touched the depower strap yet. I think 20-25 is the perfect zone for me for the 8.

Bottom line....this kite is MONEY! I had been riding 08 Rebels. The rebels feel lively and are quick turning. As is well documented, they can back stall when sheeting in. I have ridden them for 2 seasons so really know how to avoid the issues on those kites and have enjoyed them very much. But I must say, after 5 minutes on the Evo 8, I was sold. This kite is always where it is supposed to be. Flies fast, stable, will not drop out of the sky even under powered if you run underneath. Does not go upwind as high as rebel but definitely better than RPM as there are a lot of those at my spot. Bar pressure is perfect and power delivery is very linear, not on and off like a lot of delta kites.

I was concerned about the reputation of the kite being grunty. I hate a tractor puller. I did not expect that from the 8 but I did not expect it to be completely comfortable at my weight either. I can not drive the 8 to the window like I could my rebels, but just sheet out and all is good. I think in surf if you are a follow the kite rider with side or side on conditions, highly efficient kites like rebel do surge forward when you edge away from the kite to set up your bottom turn. This creates a longer distance for the kite to travel across the window to set up your next turn. With Evo, because it sits back in the window a bit further its easier to keep it where you want it.

I had not ridden the 08s or 09s but in at least the 8m size, North nailed it. I have a 6 and 10m on order. Post some feedback on those sizes if you have ridden them. :thumb:

www.kite-surf.com
Frequent Poster

Postby www.kite-surf.com » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:53 pm

The 8 is truelly a fantastic kite. I rode the 6 in hell-like conditions. Even windsurfer did not go out anymore. Probably up to 45 knots. No problems at all.

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:21 pm

Can anyone tell me the difference on the 2010 Evo 7m & 6m for top and bottom end for riding with surfboards?
just wondering if the 6 gets going almost as early but holds more wind or if the 7 works earlier and holds as much?
any magic sizes for waves? sounds like the 8 is good, how about the 10, 9, 7,6
cheers
lee

www.kite-surf.com
Frequent Poster

Postby www.kite-surf.com » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:15 pm

The 7 and 9 have a more wakestyle oriented design with more low end. I rode the 7 for 2 days some time ago and if I remember correctly, I'd say that I can hold my 8 as long as the 7.

The 6 is a high-wind oriented kite with low profile.

I'm pretty sure for your riding a 10, 8, 6 or Fuse 10, Evo 8, 6 range would be the best.

I'm no wave rider though...

Robin

lbatbeach
Medium Poster

Postby lbatbeach » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:41 am

Havent gotten my 6 yet, but wondering what the last comment about the 7/9 is based on? Seems like the goal would be to make all kites in a line have similar characteristics, at least as much as possible given contraints associated with larger vs smaller kites.

www.kite-surf.com
Frequent Poster

Postby www.kite-surf.com » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:39 am

I rode the 7 and 8 myself and a friend of mine talked to the designer. Don't think too much, try them.

Don Lester
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Is.
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Is. Ca.
Los Barriles, Mx
Style: All
Gear: TT, Surf, Foil

Postby Don Lester » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:07 am

I don't understand all this talk about the differences between a 6m or 7m or an 8m or an 9m. I know it's fun to talk on a Forum like this about your experiences, but really, EVERYBODY is different in what they like as far as power is concerned. Some people like just enough to get going while others like to be " lit " and what you want for power changes depending on the type of riding your doing. Wave riding = less power, jumping = max power.

Just go buy all the kites your credit cards will allow, because what size you like in the beginning of the year will probably change by the end of the year anyway. Just be glad North offers all the pertinent sizes for us to choose from..........For a medium size person I think a 6,8,10m would be a great quiver, however that being said, I don't see how anyone could not have a 7m .............. Go figure............ Don

Return to “Kitesurfing”