Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Digital SLR for Kiteboarding

Forum for kitesurfers
adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Digital SLR for Kiteboarding

Postby adamj2281 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:51 pm

I'm getting my wife a Nikon D3000 w/18-55 mm Lens Digital SLR camera for Christmas. It's an entry-level SLR, and she is just wanting an upgrade from a regular point and shoot. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some info on how well I can shoot Kiteboarding action pics with this camera. It's 3 FPS, and I might spend some cash to get an used lens if I can get some good shots.

I'm not trying to publish them or anything, just get some couple action shots locally, will this camera be sufficient?

switch313
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: none i travel.
Favorite Beaches: el medano, sotovento, pounta beach greece, , portland uk, some dominican spots, anywhere flat
Style: wakestyle, power,big air sometimes
Gear: c kites
Brand Affiliation: not really
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Digital SLR for Kiteboarding

Postby switch313 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:15 pm

i am a camera enthusiast myself, i have not used the nikon d3000 model though i do have an d80 and a d3 however and im sure this model will be prefect for what you are using it for, nikon are super high quality and produce awesome clarity- also the resale value is good if you want to upgrade with nikons, people trust the quality. just get it on the pre set sports mode and im sure it will be perfect.

BrianMaiden
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Guincho, Kingfisher, Fuerte, Tarifa, Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Gwithian
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BrianMaiden » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:38 pm

I bought a Nikon D40 for the same reason. I wanted an entry level DSLR to shoot kiteboarding and the quality is amazing compared to a point and shoot. I'm no expert but i think the camera you're getting will be perfect. Wish i'd got a wide angle rather than zoom lens though.

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:05 pm

unless the extra $ are an issue go for the D5000 so you can have HD movie mode. It is really fun for kiteboarding and all around use. You end shooting way more movies than with a dedicated video cam because whenever you bring the slr the option to shoot movies is there..no lugging a seperate video cam.

here is a movie we shot the other day with a d5000:
http://ptraykovski.smugmug.com/Kiting/H ... 4536_ypmn6

or on youtube (bes sure to click HD on)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JufeFycSFCw

my wife gets lots of camera equipment for xmas also!! but she uses it more than me to take baby/kid pics....I sure like to "borrow" the stuff for kiting though

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam 7,12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
5'2" North Whip CSC
5'4" Tomo Hydroshort
Nobile 2HD
Slingshot H4 Batwing foil
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:57 am

ptraykovski wrote:unless the extra $ are an issue go for the D5000 so you can have HD movie mode. It is really fun for kiteboarding and all around use. You end shooting way more movies than with a dedicated video cam because whenever you bring the slr the option to shoot movies is there..no lugging a seperate video cam.

here is a movie we shot the other day with a d5000:
http://ptraykovski.smugmug.com/Kiting/H ... 4536_ypmn6

or on youtube (bes sure to click HD on)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JufeFycSFCw

my wife gets lots of camera equipment for xmas also!! but she uses it more than me to take baby/kid pics....I sure like to "borrow" the stuff for kiting though

Yeah my wife actually got me a really nice Sony HD Camcorder with 80 GB Flash for my wedding present, gotta love it. I have some video from Maui off it that looks great, I'm looking forward to using it more this spring/summer. I looked at the D5000 especially considering it has a live view LCD with tilt, but I think the Guide Mode on the D3000 will be helpful to both of us.

I can always upgrade the base down the road.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:24 am

My experience is that you need a camera that can take many shots in succession, you need the ability to change lenses from wide to zoom, and video would be nice. We just purchased the Nikon D60 with an 18 - 55 lens and a 55 - 200 lens, we are seriously handicapped without a wide angle lens, and we can only take 4 photos in succession and you cannot see the picture on the screen while you are taking it you must look through the view finder. Honestly I think this helps take more good photos but it can be a pain in the as.s from time to time...

Pete

ptraykovski
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ptraykovski » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:11 am

adamj2281 wrote:[

Yeah my wife actually got me a really nice Sony HD Camcorder with 80 GB Flash for my wedding present, gotta love it. I have some video from Maui off it that looks great, I'm looking forward to using it more this spring/summer. I looked at the D5000 especially considering it has a live view LCD with tilt, but I think the Guide Mode on the D3000 will be helpful to both of us.

I can always upgrade the base down the road.
If you have a good vid camera then you are all set. Putting the $s toward good lenses would be more usefull. We got a D50 a few years ago then got a nice 18-200 zoom, then upgraded to the D5000. It is a one lens does it all, so doesn't do anything perfectly (but really pretty good expect at the exteme zoom and wide angle), but very handy to have one lens for travel and always have the right one on. Switching is a pain unless you are really dedicated. The lens upgrade made far more difference to our shot quality than the new body..though movies are fun.

Uride2
Medium Poster

Postby Uride2 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:40 am

Adam, no photographer, but really like to get "snapshoots" of our group of kiters. Currently using a 200mm lens and just added a 1.4 extension, for an effective lens of 280mm. This works really well for the shots closer to the beach.

Lately I'm finding that I want a longer lens for when the action is not so close to the beach. Would really like a 400mm or 500mm lens, but holy cow things start getting expensive at those lengths. So will be sticking with the 200mm.

I'm thinking your going to want/need a longer lens. Shot below was at 200mm fairly close to the beach. With your 18-55 lens, your going to get some great closeup shots, but unless your standing in the water, may be hard to get the shots a little ways off the beach.

Experiment with your first lens and just like kites, borrow and demo some other lenses and see what you like.
adamj2281 wrote:I'm getting my wife a Nikon D3000 w/18-55 mm Lens Digital SLR camera for Christmas.
Any suggestions where to find an inexpensive lens for a Canon 400 or 500mm?

Here is a shot close to the beach at 200mm, then heavily cropped on a cam with lots of pixels, would be nice to not have to crop so much, things get fuzzy. At 55mm the shot would be too far away.

FredMurphy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredMurphy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:41 am

I got a Canon EOS 500D (called a Rebel T1i in the US, I think) and I'm very happy with it. Once again it was the HD video that tipped the balance over slightly cheaper models. Video is good other than the fact that it won't continually autofocus on a moving object. Then again, if you really want that - you probably want to get a real camcorder.

MikeYQM
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Darkside Kites - Dealer for Slingshot, Cabrinha, NP Surf & JP Australia

Postby MikeYQM » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:56 pm

I use a Canon Rebel XTi with an 18-200 IS Sigma lens. It's an entry level camera, 3.5 FPS, 10.1 MP etc. The combo allows for decent wide ange to telephoto range. With a good fast CF card, I can shoot a long stream of burst in the jighest jpeg mode. Shooting in RAW format, the burst decreases in length.

It's works great for me for shooting anything from macro to sports. Your best bet: get a good camera body (entry level should be fine) and the best (read: $) lens you can afford. The difference is in the glass. An external speedlight helps lighting your shots outdoors and is a good investment as well.

here's some of my work: http://www.mccarthyimaging.ca

Cheers,

Mike
Darkside Kites
www.darksidekites.ca
Cabrinha | NPX | Ronix

Return to “Kitesurfing”