Two very different types of kiters.

Forum for kitesurfers
FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Two very different types of kiters.

Postby FredBGG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:58 am

speedreef wrote:Fred, those dudes are pricks. I go out in sketchy places by myself alot. I had a close call a few years ago so now i have my cell phone in a dry bag in a fanny pack. Yeah, I know, I will only get to use it once, right? The CG will probably charge me for the first rescue and double the second? Anyway, I have self rescued from the limit that top hat mentions and having the phone gave me comfort that I was not alone. It also comes in handy when i go on a impromptu downwinder and call the wife to come get me on the other end.
One other thing, I rescued a guy from too far out once whose inflato had popped and deflated, I know you wear a impact vest, so I gave this dude my impact vest (he did not have one) and instructed him to bundle his kite, lines and bar inside the vest, zip it, and buckle the strap. I got to check him out good too in case he might be panicky and try to drown the rescuer (me). I know you had current/rock issues in your case but this may help in the future.
Even better than using the impact vest to bundle up a packed down kite it's better to carry a good piece of vercro strapping.
I keep one with me tucked into the sleeve of my wetsuit.
It's come in handy several times. I have used it myself a couple of times when the wind suddenly vanished and I've handed it to people I've assisted.

kitester
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitester » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:44 am

You have to expect all types as the aport grows. Its important for all trainers out there to instill a code of conduct in new students that enhances the sport.

In our neck of the woods kiters rescue each other all the time. The spirit of the sport is important but there is a practical side as well. Every time a kiter has trouble that involves rescue services there is another black mark upon our reputation. In popular spots enough calls to the Coast Guard might result in bans on the sport. It almost happened at Tybee Island Georgia

Kiters on our beach not only rescue other kiters but we have been responsible for the rescue of non kiters too. I have brought back lots of kids and adults that have been stranded on sandbars or caught in tidal currents. I would bet that there have been over 50 serious rescues performed by kiters in our area. Kiters I know will risk a lot to save someone in trouble. In one instance we found and saved a man who was a mile out in 65 degree water without a wet suit. He was trying to swim back from a jet ski that had run out of gas. Wind that day was dead offshore and gusty and while we could not bring him back ourselves I was able to spot him for my friend who arrived with a long board. The guy was so cold he could not even get up on the board. So while flying his kite, controlling the long board, and keeping his own board with him my friend helped the hypothermic swimmer get on the long board. I made two very long tacks back to the beach to call and spot for rescue services. They brought back the swimmer and the long board and then went back out and brought my friend back. By the time the swimmer was back on the beach he had been in the water for almost an hour and according to EMS close to passing out. The very next day my friend rescued a couple in a small boat caught in the surf. Rescue boats were unable to reach them because of the waves. He sailed over to the boat. got in and used his kite to pull them out of the surf to the rescue boats. He saved the boat and the people too. Those are just two examples of how our kiting community regularly rescues anyone having trouble in the water.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:39 pm

FredBGG wrote:The other day I had a front line fail.

With out going into too much detail.....
Wind was slightly off shore...
Pretty strong current...

I really needed a tow to the beach.
I had the kite safely on the 5th line folded in half (flysurfer Foil)
I had the broken line safely wrapped around the bar.

I waved down two kiters.... both expert judging by their riding.
Both refused to help.
One even yelled if you can't relaunch it's your problem.

Anyway after a difficult ordeal in the surf and current I got back to the beach.
I had to rest a bit but my board was still out there.
At that point another kitesurfer had just arrived... he threw on his wetsuit and asked me to
spot for my surfboard while he swam out through the surf and current to get it.

So two very different types of kitesurfers.
The type you ask for help and they refuse and the ones you don't even ask for help and they go way oput of their way to help.

Big thanks to Rich of www.malibukitesurfing.com for retrieving my board!

To the other two kiters...... If your in distress don't worry I will help you out regardless..... because I'm just that kind of kiter.
Hey maybe you just met PMU and FlyingWeasel?

Seriously, glad you're ok ... good people around here, if a little slow on the uptake ...

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:43 pm

Glad you made it in ok Fred and thanks to Richard for his help. We need to look out for one another on the water. Guys have died while riders in the area have been unaware. At still other times, aware riders acted to bring kiters in distress back to shore. We can't be all seeing and knowing but it goes with the sport to try to be aware and act within our abilities to help fellow kiters. It should be a source of pride like being able to ride well, not something to ignore in a childish, naive fashion.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:11 pm

RickI wrote:Glad you made it in ok Fred and thanks to Richard for his help. We need to look out for one another on the water. Guys have died while riders in the area have been unaware. At still other times, aware riders acted to bring kiters in distress back to shore. We can't be all seeing and knowing but it goes with the sport to try to be aware and act within our abilities to help fellow kiters. It should be a source of pride like being able to ride well, not something to ignore in a childish, naive fashion.
It is truly amazing to see some of the brash opinions being expressed here. I wonder if some of those individuals would say the same in the presence of their mates or families, or post those messages with their real names attached to it...seriously, some of these attitudes are in need of mending and a little more thought on their part.

As for Ricks suggestion that we "try to be aware"...yes, for sure...and I think it goes well beyond that. I impart to my students that it is their duty to be aware of what is going on with others on the water, whether it be kiters, swimmers, surfers, kayakers, power boaters, etc.. Obviously we cannot see everything and we cannot always help everyone...but we can often call others in for assistance. I just do not know how someone can in good conscience ignore this responsibility.

I will agree that one needs to temper rescue efforts with their own abilities to help, the conditions, etc...And yes, we individually need to know how to help ourselves and try to avoid certain situations...but even the best get caught in bad circumstances in even the most innocuous conditions.

It is amazing to me when I see a guy down in the water and nobody knows if he has a problem and they just act like they don't see him and keep riding like nothing happened and/or that it's not their problem. I've seen this more times than I care to recall. That is totally unacceptable and total BS IMO. To the novices reading this, please understand that most of the kiters I know are helpful people, and try not to follow the few brazen attitudes you might read about here.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Fred

glad you're ok. those equipment failures suck.

how about some names?

especially the guy who actually talked to you. people like that won't change unless some peer pressure is used, and everyone needs to know who it was so the problem can be addressed.

there is a small town nearby where i live that does this: if someone who lives there gets a DUI, the local newspaper puts it on the front page with a picture.

we should do the same for something like this.

marshall10488
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Flyboards

Postby marshall10488 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:49 pm

forgot to say but had a session couple weeks ago in sideshore and wind died when i was way out. i had the 12m Speed 3 so had to pack down and swim in. i was about 1.5-2.5km out and one guy, even after swimming in with his own kit swam out to help me once i was a couple hundred meters from shore. he said since he was a water polo player swiming didnt bother him at all so didnt mind dragging a heavy flysurfer in for me. now this is the right attitude.
and then today (not that i am looking for any kind of credit) sat in the water with my kite at 12 for 10mins explaining to a guy how to get his kite back off the water, i didnt say "its your problem if you can't re-launch your kite" this is the attitude we should all have and i hope people will have the same with me when i get into trouble.

ScottM
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ScottM » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:45 pm

hmmm....

I think to see someone in serious trouble and not assisting if it's safe to do so is pretty poor form. I don't think you always need to, if they are cool and okay with a long swim. I've certainly appreciated it and sacrificed a few good sessions dragging someone in.

That said, going out in the water you certainly can't expect anyone to help you, so going out further than you can swim is a bad idea. I see guys going miles out and I hope nothing breaks down cause I sure couldn't swim that far!!

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:36 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!

Postby Aummm » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:06 am

flyingweasel wrote: Isn`t there a dyke somewhere that needs your finger in it sunshine? :naughty:
:rollgrin:
That's only the name of the island & I don't like them, Haahaahaa... :lol:
Smells like you're a brown wing general :naughty:

By the way in my Holly Islands everybody likes to help each other and rescue if needed to,
regardles of orientation, brands or type of kites.
Inflatables are not safer per say :nono:
but more user friendly since the Renaissance of Kiteboarding I think. :argue:

Return to “Kitesurfing”