Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Two very different types of kiters.

Forum for kitesurfers
alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Re: Two very different types of KITES

Postby alexrider » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:32 pm

Pump me up wrote: ......Fred made the choice to choose less safe equipment (ram airs - for self rescue) - it's his problem ...
99% of troubles arise from poor judgement. According to PMU's cold logic :jump: that's a good enough reason not to help 99% of the guys who find themselves in trouble. What a charming personality that PMU ! He is definitely not a seaman. A sick man, yes.

Unless PMU has got statistical evidence that ram air are less safe than tubes, he should refrain from posting silly claims. PMU :dumbo: is full of hot air.

E^Ri
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Two very different types of kiters.

Postby E^Ri » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:03 pm

You guys have no right to call out others for not helping you. you are responsible for yourself, if you can't take care of yourself ride with a buddy (i think we learned the buddy system in like 1st grade) or stay the f*** out of the water. Obviously you were able to swim in fine so the only reason you're bitching is because others would not inconvenience themselves to convenience you. You gotta pay your dues to play, if you don't want to swim in hire a fucking lifeguard you lazy shit.

fishy
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fishy » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:24 am

E^Ri wrote:You guys have no right to call out others for not helping you. you are responsible for yourself, if you can't take care of yourself ride with a buddy (i think we learned the buddy system in like 1st grade) or stay the f*** out of the water. Obviously you were able to swim in fine so the only reason you're bitching is because others would not inconvenience themselves to convenience you. You gotta pay your dues to play, if you don't want to swim in hire a fucking lifeguard you lazy shit.
Well for as long as I have known, if somebody on the water is in trouble, then, if you can, you help them, end of story. It's an unwritten code for anybody on the sea.

If it's dangerous to help or if it could make matters worse, then you have to assess that for yourself at the time - but you should not be on the water with that kind of attitude.

Aummm
Medium Poster
Style: Old
Gear: Cabrinha, Ozone Kites, NO STRUTLESS!

Postby Aummm » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:30 am

E^Ri wrote:You guys have no right to call out others for not helping you. you are responsible for yourself, if you can't take care of yourself ride with a buddy (i think we learned the buddy system in like 1st grade) or stay the f*** out of the water. Obviously you were able to swim in fine so the only reason you're bitching is because others would not inconvenience themselves to convenience you. You gotta pay your dues to play, if you don't want to swim in hire a fucking lifeguard you lazy shit.
Did a Pit Bull offend you with his flashing teeth or what, to be so mean & chime in like that :?:

If you don’t like to help people to people on the water and motivated by passion,
then you are just plain greedy and don't deserve to be part of this sport.
Sharing is caring, o wait, you’re a spoiled loser. :baby:
Because with your nasty arrogance the consequence will be, closure at the beach,
as mentioned by somebody else also. :angryfire:

Dip shite :!: shame yourself :!: ... man, dream on :!:

E^Ri
Medium Poster

Postby E^Ri » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:25 am

for the record I have helped every person I have come across, I even pulled in a windsurfer then went back out and got his gear. I think I was averaging almost 6 rescues a day in Maui every time a big swell rolled through. My point is that it is not my responsibility nor a requirement and if I choose not to help you have no right to call me out.

If it is really a life or death situation I'm sure anyone would try to help out, but you guys are just bitching about having to swim all the way in.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:45 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster

Postby flyingweasel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:50 am

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:05 am

kitezilla wrote:Fred,

Did you sense that because you were on a ram air kite rather than an inflatable, that this fact played a role in the 2 kiter's refusal to help you?

For instance:

(1) Did prejudice between "pumpers" and "twin-skins" play a role?
(2) Fear of the filamentous bridle lines, by the potential rescuers?
(3) Worry by the rescuers, of tearing up your kite and the liability for damage, while trying to tow it in.

Those of us who know you through your participation on this forum, know that you are a stand-up, non-confrontational, forgiving kind of guy, but did your potential rescuers know these things about you? It would be interesting to know what they were thinking at the time. If you get to talk to them, let us know what they have to say about the incident.
No none of the above.
No risk of tangling etc. The kite was on the 5th line and the broken line was already wrapped on the bar.
The rescuer only needed to drag me in. The kite would have been safely downwind.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Two very different types of KITES

Postby FredBGG » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:19 am

Pump me up wrote:
FredBGG wrote:The other day I had a front line fail.
Wind was slightly off shore...
I really needed a tow to the beach.
I had the kite safely on the 5th line folded in half (flysurfer Foil)
I waved down two kiters.... both expert judging by their riding.
Both refused to help.
One even yelled if you can't relaunch it's your problem.
Anyway after a difficult ordeal in the surf and current I got back to the beach.
I had to rest a bit but my board was still out there.
The problem here isn't with the other kiters, it's with Fred's choice of kite. If Fred had an inflatable, he would have been able to "self-rescue" by grabbing the tips and "sailing" to shore. The other kiters refusing to help is understandable: Fred made the choice to choose less safe equipment (ram airs - for self rescue) - it's his problem and he shouldn't impose on others to make up for the deficiencies in his equipment. Also, towing a Flysurfer to shore is like towing a sleeping bag full of water - horrible.

Ignore the lies. Ignore the exaggerations. Ram airs are inferior compared to inflatables in wind dropouts and gear failures.
Pump Me Up had to come and take a crap in this thread too......

This had nothing to do with the type of kite.
Swimming close to the kite be it a LEI or a foil would have been potentially deadly in this case.
Only safe thing to do was flag out the kite.

Pump Me Up is so full of shit that he recommends LEI as an emergency floatation device.
Anyone that has seen or had a burst leading edge knows very well that you CANNOT consider the floatation of the LEI as a life saver. For that you need a life vest/impact vest.
Having a floatation device with the drag of a kite in the water with lines to get tanglesd on is plain stupid partisan bull shit.

speedreef
Medium Poster

Postby speedreef » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:29 am

Fred, those dudes are pricks. I go out in sketchy places by myself alot. I had a close call a few years ago so now i have my cell phone in a dry bag in a fanny pack. Yeah, I know, I will only get to use it once, right? The CG will probably charge me for the first rescue and double the second? Anyway, I have self rescued from the limit that top hat mentions and having the phone gave me comfort that I was not alone. It also comes in handy when i go on a impromptu downwinder and call the wife to come get me on the other end.
One other thing, I rescued a guy from too far out once whose inflato had popped and deflated, I know you wear a impact vest, so I gave this dude my impact vest (he did not have one) and instructed him to bundle his kite, lines and bar inside the vest, zip it, and buckle the strap. I got to check him out good too in case he might be panicky and try to drown the rescuer (me). I know you had current/rock issues in your case but this may help in the future.

Return to “Kitesurfing”