Gear: Kites- Flexifoil Hadlow Pro - Fuel
Board- Aggression - RRD
Mystic
Brand Affiliation: Getkiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Two very different types of kiters.

Postby JumpinJoe » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:09 am

There are always going to be ass holes out there that only care about them selves. It is always sad to hear. Some times I wish you guys would not post these types of stories because it reminds me that we are not all in the "always take care of your fellow kiter" group that I thought we were part of! WTF is wrong with you guys that don't care. :(

I go out on the water everyday thinking we are all in the same club and if one of us needs help then we should always help that person. But for other I have figured out that is not the case.

Fred thanks for the story and nice to know that you would still help the guy that screwed you that says how classy of a person you are :thumb:

You guys can't we all be friends and not judge someone on how they ride and who cares what style someone is riding old school, new school, wake, straps and strapless. Lets all take care of each other and just enjoy that we all love to hang on to a kite.

philmb
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton beach, Pinnaroo point.
Style: All
Gear: RPM, RALLY, NOBILE NHP
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby philmb » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:38 am

Jeez, what a couple of c-ck smockers. New to kiteing and was just saying the other day how everyone seems so freindly and glad to help you out. Obviously not always the case then =/

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:33 am

I know I'm out of the mainstream most of the time but I say this isn't about what kind of kiter someone is, but rather what kind of human someone is. I know most of us feel a brotherhood among fellow kiters, but I'm sure most kiters would help someone in need even if they were kayaking, swimming, windsurfing, surfing, fishing or even flying some kind of kite that they don't like (such as those funny foils that Fred and a few of us use). What kind of human wouldn't help a fellow human in need? I'm glad someone was cool enough to eventually help Fred and glad almost all the kiters I know are also the kind that would help out a friend (or even a stranger) in need.

John

TopHat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Localism is a Social Problem.
Style: Unknown to you...
Gear: A SURFBOARD
A FIXED PULLEY BAR
A C-KITE From a Company that Mocks Me
Brand Affiliation: No Brands or Tattoos
I BUY MY OWN...

Postby TopHat » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:01 am

:shout: The Golden Rule: Never go out farther than you want to swim in. :thumb:
It takes a fairly talented kiter to rescue someone. :naughty:
If other riders are unfamiliar with your gear they usually will not know how to assist you. :)
For example, I still can not figure out how to drag in one of those Naish terradactyl Shapes. :duh:
If you have to swim it is good excercise. :strong:
If someone assists you Bonus, Buy them some beer, They deserve it... :beer:

Aloha, Ride Safe, have Fun... :hut:

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:32 am

Fred,
you got it right.
If the other guy is a ......... , doesn't mean you have to be one.
Keep the stoke
Nico

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:07 am

I agree with jwoodlv - pay it forward when you can and with loco - you must help any person in the water in distress. But the key thing and this is even in basic lifeguard instruction is the "When you can" part of it. It is fair for a rescuer to recognize their own personal limitations especially when it comes to rescuing gear.

I have rescued a number of kites and boards, and have had received a number of rescues too. But I can't say I would be able or willing to pull somebody else's kite in through shore-break in offshore conditions especially if I thought there was a risk of getting tangled. Also, a broken line in offshore winds is the classic example where self rescue on a tube kite is much safer. I fly both and you have to be familiar with this limitation in your gear. Bottom line, you have to be fit to swim in and you have to be willing to ditch the kite if your life really was in danger. But it does come down to language regarding these kiters action. "Your problem" = uncool, "I can't rescue your kite but I can pull you in or call for help if you need it" = better. I would not expect any more from a life guard, boater or coast guard.

Glad you are safe Fred and Strong Work Richard M.

Jake

ced1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cannon Rocks
Favorite Beaches: Cannon Rocks, Flag Beach, Anse la Raie, Witsands, Dolphin beach
Style: Big air, wave riding
Gear: Airush, Underwave

Postby ced1 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:01 am

Very sad... Unfortunately I have witness it myself a few times in Cape Town.
But on my remote home spot, we all help each other. Small community without the poser crew. From beginners to advanced... And when the swell cranks with howling winds, everyone is really glad to have someone to help. The guys that refused to help you are probably egocentric idiots who if in trouble would leave all their gear and swim out... Go to the nearest kite shop, kick some beggar in the teeth, burn a red light, speed in their bran new yup car and buy a brand new rig with their platinum gold plated credit card...
They'll never get it ...

Ced

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:58 am

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

While there are these "two kinds of kiters" the vast majority are the ones that would help out everytime. :thumb:

tungsten222

Postby tungsten222 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:59 am

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Sed in urna et enim porttitor ullamcorper ac non ipsum. Proin eleifend orci quis ligula convallis et viverra metus porta. Fusce commodo eros ut sapien euismod venenatis. Proin suscipit auctor laoreet. Phasellus scelerisque viverra nisi eu malesuada. Etiam malesuada tellus non neque fermentum at molestie mi condimentum. Vestibulum gravida enim sit amet nisi mattis pulvinar. Suspendisse hendrerit ipsum id neque sodales ut tincidunt felis dignissim. Suspendisse potenti. Phasellus venenatis pharetra consectetur. Curabitur tempus lacinia dui. Nunc semper arcu id leo lacinia porta. Proin commodo adipiscing egestas. Suspendisse adipiscing enim turpis, sed.
Last edited by tungsten222 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:19 pm

despite i ride in pretty much any condition, i don t think i d be able to rescue someone with an offshore wind and its kite (kite can be packed down in the water so i don t count it much)especially with a current ( offshore current?)
i ve already rescued some kites, kiters, boards but the wind was side or side on or onshore.
if i can t help somone, i still go near him, explaining why or may be he can explain how to help him (even if he has to control my kite to go back to shore) or i go get some help.

anyway, i m happy it ended fine for u.

in france, if u don t help (without putting yourself in danger, of course) someone that is obviously in difficulty tant can lead to possible death or harm, u can get it by the law.

Return to “Kitesurfing”