Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Black Marks Off Cabrinha Depower Line?

forum for kitesurfers

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Black Marks Off Cabrinha Depower Line?

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:55 am

The black plastic depower line on my Cabrinha kites wears a little and I get black marks on my hands and the red half of the bar is almost completely black and gungy. After a good session it looks like I have been working on a car engine or down in a coal mine.

Anybody else getting this? Any solutions? It's only a minor cosmetic problem. It happened on my 2006 and 2007 kites but it seems worse on my new ones.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Re: Black Marks Off Cabrinha Depower Line?

Postby Nico » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:39 am

Sounds like you got into contact with some kind of solvent.
Maybe even the sun cream you are useing ?
Never heard of this problem before.
Nico.

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby yomotha » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:47 am

Yeah, I had this happen bad to me after I got "stuck" on a sandbar where a lot of birds had been before, so there was a lot of bird shit. Once I got everything back in order I noticed a lot of this black "grease" on my hands... which came from the depower line, which was caused by whatever harsh chemicals are in bird crap. So yeah, I would have to say you were in contact with something that "ate" at the plastics or coating on the line.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:57 am

Thanks for the tip about the sunscreen. I've been using Banana Boat Ultra for several years (about as long as I've been getting the black marks. :-? )

colokiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby colokiter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:32 pm

I've noticed it also, on both bars. I do not think its sunscreen, I actually think its the plastic sleeve on the center line that is wearing from the friction as it slides through the bar. It seems like the plastic is almost melting, creating the "grease". Looking at my center line I can definitely see wear on the plastic.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:45 pm

I used a different sun screen and washed my hands thoroughly before kiting and got no black marks yesterday. I also sprayed some silcone lubricant on the plastic. I will keep an eye on things and see what happens.

The only time I have seen visible wear on the plastic was from a bar with a damaged centre hole. My old kite had 200 hundred hours and there was no sign of wear on the plastic even though there was lots of black gunk on the yellow rubber on the bar.

dejavu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Favorite Beaches: Melbourne Australia
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Protec, Rip Curl

Postby dejavu » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:42 am

I am really perplexed about this Depower line black grime issue. I have had 2012 Cabrinha bars leach this black stuff on my hands, then my 2014 and my 2015 bars did the same. I upgraded to 2017 bars and all was good for nearly a year now and now I have my 2017 52 bar leaching this black grime. I have had this issue in two different countries so its not the water. I have eliminated sunscreen. I don't use any other chemicals. I don't leave my gear lying around the beach. I set up, kite, pack up. I wash my gear after each session in fresh water and dry naturally out of sunlight. WHAT IS GOING ON!

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Clew In » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 pm

I have the same thing going on with my 2016 bar. Looks like I was working on a greasy engine bar was black and hands smeared with black smudge.
Don't remember my older Cabrinha bar doing this (2007).
Maybe it is sunscreen compatibility; however, my sunscreen came out of a plastic bottle and the color did not deteriorate when I touched the bottle

Clew In

dejavu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Favorite Beaches: Melbourne Australia
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Protec, Rip Curl

Postby dejavu » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:08 pm

No. Definitely not sunscreen. I have eliminated this.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:48 pm

Happened to me a lot too with my cab bars. The friction theory sounds plausible, especially because the conditions I ride in are pretty warm to begin with.

Return to “Kitesurfing”