Mystic Brand wetsuit review

Forum for kitesurfers
gator1
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Mystic Brand wetsuit review

Postby gator1 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:49 am

Anyone have any experience with Mystic "Brand" wetsuit (not Star or Marshall line)? How does this compare to surf brands?

Are the sizes pretty much the same as the other brands? I dont have the opportunity to try them.
These users thanked the author gator1 for the post:
Leon van Bergen (Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:46 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Vinda
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: Rest Bay & Aberavon Wales, UK
Favorite Beaches: Broughton Bay, Wales
Style: Useless Freeride
Gear: F-One Bandit and Bandit S Kites.
North Orbit and Reach Kites
Naish Monarch TT
North Chase Surfboard
North Sonar Foil
Nobile Skim

Re: Mystic Brand wetsuit review

Postby Vinda » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:32 pm

I've been a small in Oneal and Ripcurl for years. I now have a 3/2 and a 5/4/3 from Mystic that fit me perfectly.

I had no opportunity to try one on but would have been able to send back OK I guess. Really nice suits and the ankle drains are a pretty good idea. My Mystic impact vest is also small and that is a bit snug

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:47 pm

gator1 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:49 am
Anyone have any experience with Mystic "Brand" wetsuit (not Star or Marshall line)? How does this compare to surf brands?

Are the sizes pretty much the same as the other brands? I dont have the opportunity to try them.
I use a Brand Longarm Short Leg 3/2mm in L (https://www.mysticboarding.com/products ... -32#000000)

It is the same size as the Xcel XZip Long Arm short leg in L I used to wear.

--
Gunnar

Vinda
Rare Poster
Naish Monarch TT
North Chase Surfboard
North Sonar Foil
Nobile Skim

Postby Vinda » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:01 pm

gator1 wrote:
Sorry I didn't realise you actually meant a particular wetsuit. I have the Voltt and the Marshall. They both fit pretty much exactly the same despite being very different suits. I'm guessing all their sizes would have the same fit. The material is very flexible

mattaiken MYS NKB
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:15 pm

gator1 wrote:

Hi Gator. The Brand series suits from Mystic are the entry level (lowest) price point.
From bottom to top there is:
Brand
Star
Marshall
Majestic
Voltt

As you go from lower to higher you'll go from what's called Flatlock seam construction on the Brands, to various higher levels of waterproofed seams. As you go higher you'll typically get more areas of the suits with lining, which will make them warmer. You'll also get higher end neoprene so a more stretchy suit.

Every brand has a slightly different fit, and there can be some difference of fit between different models within a brand. There's a variety of reasons for this, but hopefully your retailer can guide you through and find the right fit for you.

Within Mystic, the brand suits will typically fit a little bit bigger than the top end Majestic and Voltt suits. This is quite common for brands to have a more "sporty" fit in the higher end suits and a more "relaxed" fit in the lower end suits.

I hope this helps.
These users thanked the author mattaiken MYS NKB for the post:
Javig84 (Fri May 20, 2022 9:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:51 am

So anyone actually use a Voltt? How about durability? They look nice but the zipper is small and reminds me off the small ripcurl zippers that blew out all the time. Do they have warantee on the suits?

mattaiken MYS NKB
Medium Poster

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:57 am

atomic-chomik wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:51 am
So anyone actually use a Voltt? How about durability? They look nice but the zipper is small and reminds me off the small ripcurl zippers that blew out all the time. Do they have warantee on the suits?
Hi, this suit has now been on the market for a year. I can say we have had no issues/warranties, etc with the zippers in the USA. There's a 1 year warranty on workmanship.

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:01 am

mattaiken MYS NKB wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:57 am
atomic-chomik wrote:
Hi, this suit has now been on the market for a year. I can say we have had no issues/warranties, etc with the zippers in the USA. There's a 1 year warranty on workmanship.
So what is the procedure with the warantee? Workmanship would include the zipper and seams correct? Lots of questions but its a costly and unproven suit as far as i know. Looks promising though so im willing to give it a shot if there is proper product suppport.

mattaiken MYS NKB
Medium Poster

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:54 am

atomic-chomik wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:01 am
mattaiken MYS NKB wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:57 am
atomic-chomik wrote:
So what is the procedure with the warantee? Workmanship would include the zipper and seams correct? Lots of questions but its a costly and unproven suit as far as i know. Looks promising though so im willing to give it a shot if there is proper product suppport.
Your retailer would submit a claim with photos and proof of purchase.

In my experience if there's a manufacturing flaw in a suit (like a seam issue for example) they show up very quickly. The zippers on these suits are the same zippers used on a lot of suits in the line (all Majestic and Diva suits) and have been in use for I believe at least the past 3 seasons so are well proven.

This is a high end suit with a high end price tag. It's thicker, and in particular if you're looking at the 6mm hooded version, it will be more technical to get in and out of than the suit the original poster was asking about. It also has a lot of high end, high stretch fabric and a full lining, which will want a higher level of care than a more basic suit. Be a bit more careful getting in and out of it think about how you store it, don't throw it in the washing machine, etc. Fairly common sense things but worth mentioning. I hope this helps.

Vinda
Rare Poster
Naish Monarch TT
North Chase Surfboard
North Sonar Foil
Nobile Skim

Postby Vinda » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:14 pm

atomic-chomik wrote:

I've got the Voltt. The zipper is slightly different to that on my 3/2 suit but no less robust just a bit different. I've had a few Back zips go on suits but never a chest zip. I'm guessing less pressure on a front zip to pop open with movement. Just got to keep them clean I guess. Not used the Voltt a great amount but in the UK it will soon get a bit colder so give me 6 weeks or so and I'll be in it a lot. I'm in my 3/2 Marshall 2 or three times a week in Fresh and Salt Water. Just got to look after your kit like everything

Return to “Kitesurfing”