Peter Lynn C-Quad?

Forum for kitesurfers
L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Re: Peter Lynn C-Quad?

Postby L0KI » Mon May 13, 2013 2:56 am

Used to use C Quads with a Dirtsurfer up and down the hardpack on the waters edge on the beach.
Had a Pro Tools Mosquito 9.5M size (I think 9.5) foil when I was learning to water kite, it was a monster truck, and it turned so slow compared to the other foils I had.
I liked the KiteWing (Skimbat) with the Dirstsurfer (back in 2003) up and down the beach, it hauled major a$$.
Still have a KiteWing and a couple Dirtsurfers.
No C-Quads left in my garage though.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon May 13, 2013 7:18 am

I'd love to get my hands on a Dirtsurfer... the prices are usually nice, but the shipping is killer. I just use my old Kava.

Been a few years since I had it out though - if the wind is that good, I head for the lake :) year round!

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Mon May 13, 2013 7:25 am

What's a Kava?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon May 13, 2013 11:39 am

Flexifoil board - big, long, low, heavy, 15-ply, shaped like a banana... good cruiser :)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Mon May 13, 2013 11:57 am

not many bro's know about c-quads. theres still a crew in nz that flys them. me I'ev flown them a couple of times. soooooo much power for such a small kite.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Mon May 13, 2013 12:09 pm

aircatcher wrote:To bad that they stop develop C-Quad,i think this concept will resurface someday in the future design with water relaunchable feature.
Seriously doubt that. The kite had a lot of issues, that detracted from its few user friendly attributes. While it had great performance, it took quite a lot of fine control to get the best from it, otherwise it was actually a bit clunky to fly.
There was an early inflatable kite, the Seasmick(?) that was a very similar design but used inflatable tubes instead of solid fibreglass or carbon for the frame like C-Quads did.
Bridling on the C-Quad was prone to stretching, and this was another of the features that made it less popular. Same with the frame it was prone to breaking, as were the spine to LE connectors (major pain to repair/replace)
Videos were also made of the kite water relaunching, but this could only be achieved if the pilot was standing in shallow water (not shown in the videos). The floats just stopped them from sinking.
The optimal sizes were the smaller ones, they were pretty good in a buggy, quite fast and had good upwind, performance. Larger sizes had very high steering loads, and needed very large handles to fly them well. Amazing power for the size.
Backstraps, they are just a bad idea :D No possibility of a safety release using one of them, only option was to let go of the whole thing, but because the power lines were under your arms you usually got a lofting or a good skull drag!
They were an interesting step to where we are today, no need to go backwards now! :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”