Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any beach cart ideas for tons of equipment?

Forum for kitesurfers
KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites
Has thanked: 0

Re: Any beach cart ideas for tons of equipment?

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:29 pm

A true kiter would not use a cart, he would just get more girlfriends... :girl: :girl: :naughty: :girl: :girl:

Just kidding, what about the twin kid haulers for bicycles?

pebbles
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby pebbles » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:36 pm

A friend of mine uses one of those plastic storage containers w/wheels, kinda looks like a larger version of the coolers. He put some bungis on the lid and switched the stock wheels and he could easily walk it through deep sand.

His had a sliding tray on top and the handle telescoped like luggage. Added bonus is it floats, too!
We have an area where sometimes you have to wade out to the sandbar cuz of crowds and he would be more wet than his gear.

later
pebbles

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby jwoodunlv » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:08 am

What the flip? Are you a windsurfer? It's not like this stuff is heavy?

perroloco
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acapulco, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: Acapulco, San Diego
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Turbo 2 17m-14m-11m-9m-7m, Nobile 666 143 Ext, Nobile 666 135, UG 132, UG 128, Mako wide 150, LF Rawson 5'10''

Postby perroloco » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:42 am

jwoodunlv wrote:What the flip? Are you a windsurfer? It's not like this stuff is heavy?
Not heavy? Try a half mile walk with two kites, two boards, bag of accesories, towels, chair and umbrela to keep the lion tamed (Girlfriend), bag full of girlfriend junk , another bag full of girlfriend junk and a girlfriend that only carries a lipstick . Even if I broke up with my girlfriend there would be plenty of crap left over to carry to induce myself for a spinal cord transplant surgery.

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster

Postby jwoodunlv » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:47 am

Like I said, are you a windsurfer? They are always schlepping tons of sails, boards and other whatchamadoohickeys around just to get skunked. One kite, one board, make that shit work. Jeez. I'm just bustin your chops. I got into kiting to get away from windsurfing and all the gear tinkering that was mandatory to have a good time.

Bain
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Bain » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:22 am

Well, since your gf is so lazy (does she have one of those little dogs in her Coach bag and wear Ugg boots?), I vote for this one

Wetstuff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Assateague National Seashore, Maryland
Gear: Ozone WASP wind wing
Naish 8-0 Directional
Sand kart

Postby Wetstuff » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:19 pm

.... look at the boards - you can judge how long I've used this.. I've had this page on my site for years. I replaced one wheel because the valves are not fixable.

I have also tried 26" bicycle wheels, and they work so-so at water's-edge but sink badly in soft dunes. You need 'Float'.. and rotation - a smooth wheel like these will tend to drag under load... The latest from these people have small treads.

You might also cruise the Salvation Army or Goodwill for a large, kids riding toy ..like a plastic Jeep or truck. They have quite wide plastic wheels that work also. I bought some in from China, but it is not commercially viable to import the wheels and construct a cart like this.

Jim

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:56 pm

aeberl
Very Frequent Poster

Postby aeberl » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:00 pm

kimeza
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA
Favorite Beaches: Maui
Sherman Island
South Padre Island
Style: Holding on for dear life
Gear: North Rebel 7, 9 ,12 and a Dyno 15 when I'm desperate. I think a Neo quiver is in my future.

My Beach Cart Build

Postby kimeza » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:33 am

I researched tires and found the balloon tires on the previous links ideal but expensive. After weighing 2-3 kites and 3 boards plus my kitesurfing gear bag, drinks, etc. everything weighs about 80 lbs. max. With the balloon tires at 30 lbs distributed over 2 tires that would be no problem but the tires would have cost $120 not counting the axles and hardware. I found these 10" tires at harbor freight for $4 each. EAch come with 2 bearings and use a 1/2" axle. I centered my design around using 4 harbor freight wheels (80lbs./4 = 20lbs per wheel) There are two wheels at my HF store. Obviously the plastic wheel hubs are lighter than the steel. Two stainless steel 1/2" axles (home made). PVC pipe fittings and 1" PVC pipe.
Attachments
image_11912.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”