Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kitesurfing sunglasses - any breakthroughs yet?

forum for kitesurfers

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Kitesurfing sunglasses - any breakthroughs yet?

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:10 pm

Looks to me like there's a company in China making the SeaSpecs style frame, then printing the name of the customer on the side ... SeaSpecs or Silverfish or any other number of companies I've seen with the same frame.

They block UV etc just fine, stay on good and do their job ok. For the price, I think they're perfect.

Yes they got water spots on but there's a company here making a product called Glaco, which competes with Rain-X. They sell something for car mirrors that you spray on and it coats the mirror so it beads at zero miles per hour - totally clear! Until you touch it :) I'm going to give it a try ... when I get around to it.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby frankm1960 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:32 pm

I've been thinking about using ironman type swim goggles. There's a bunch here...

http://www.all3sports.com/index.php?cNa ... 2a39acc78f

Anyone ever tried tinted outdoor use swim goggles?

I was thinking of using whatever the ironman competitors might use?
Might be good if you're using a board that sprays a lot like the one I got :)

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.

Postby frankm1960 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:48 pm

m_glover wrote:It's inevitable. You are probably going to lose them, unless you never wipe out.

I hated the Sea Specs, haven't tried the other ones. Whatever you get, I'd recommend amber-colored lenses. After losing the Sea Specs, my husband and I bought a case of about 12 tinted safety glasses at Sam's Club for around $25. Yes, they were ugly as sin. But with a little rain-ex and a croakie, they got the job done. After 2 years, we still have 1 pair left.

If you do get an expensive pair, I'd recommend having some cheapies to wear on the rougher days. Who wants to worry about losing sunglasses when it's going off? Not me!

Meagan
Just curious, why do you recommend amber colored? Most sun glasses out there are anything but amber it seems.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby markchatwin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:43 pm

I've already gone the "buy several pair of cheap sunglasses approach" and it doesn't work. They all fog up. I need something that doesn't fog up and can take crashes without cracking your eye bone... Looks like that Kurtis Google , though expensive, is the one...

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:46 pm

frankm1960 wrote:....
Just curious, why do you recommend amber colored? Most sun glasses out there are anything but amber it seems.
If you are kiting late in the day or with clouds then normal coloured lenses get too dark.

Amber lenses can be worn in quite dark conditions and you can still see.

These are a good alternative to the Kurtis http://www.spexusa.com and they come in a range of lens colours. They're a bit big and goggley and Fearless Fly looking but they are cheap and work quite well.

Just for the record I own (or have owned):
- Oakley Waterjackets - shit. Worst by a long way.
- Seaspecs - quite good. I still come back to these for basic use.
- Spex USA - very good but a bit goggley
- Kurtis - best but most expensive. Rubber pads a touch fragile.

They all fog up. If the water is cold and your body warm and you spend time nithe water they will all go up. The Kurtis are the easiest to defog by dunking your face in the water.

dpca10
Frequent Poster

Postby dpca10 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:54 am

Glad to see Kurtis is gaining some momentum. I picked up a pair of these over a year ago and couldn't be happier. Easily the lightest and safest for kiting, not to mention the obvious huge advantage with peripheral vision. I need to post some pics but I have taken some of the absolute nastiest wipeouts after some kiteloop backrolls gone seriously wrong, still haven't even come close to loosing them. Even if they get blasted off my face the leash has worked perfectly. Just reach back over my shoulder grab them and go. I also like the fact that when the sun sets or clouds roll in the soft pads with the elastic strap are perfect for placing them on your forehead, I don't even notice they are there. I heard Kurtis made a kiteboarding specific set, I haven't had a chance to check them out yet, but the Duke worked fine for me. I use these things as my go to outdoor sports glasses for everything from mountain biking to Standup surfing.

OceanAdventures
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Leeside park - Fort Walton Beach
Gear: Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Wainman Hawaii

Postby OceanAdventures » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:32 pm

These are the best ones i've found and the price is right. One hand adjustment just in case you start riding and forget to tighten them down. I had one pair for almost 2 years before i forgot to tighten them one day. I actually wear these everywhere, and if you can find the amber lenses thats the ones i liked for riding the best. UV and polarized, what more do you need.

http://www.xlkites.com/kiteboarding-sun ... p-681.html

windyway
Frequent Poster
Gear: .......

Postby windyway » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:28 pm

I pay about $4 a pair.
You buy a dozen for $30 plus about $12 for shipping.
Lens are mostly gray with a couple yellow and maybe a clear.
Frames were assorted black, red, blue or silver.
Inside of frame has rubber bumpers against the face,
which I remove to prevent fogging.
Stretch band is effective.

This is a wholesaler with s l o w shipping,
no tracking number and no customer service,
So just be patient and enjoy the price.
Don't hassle them, or you may cause them to think twice about selling to the public.

Tip- Shipping cost will not show up until they ship and charge you.
They accept credit cards and PayPal too.

http://www.stlouiswholesale.com Look under sunglasses for "goggles" SG094
Attachments
sg094feat.jpg
sg094feat.jpg (28.23 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
Last edited by windyway on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:37 pm

OzBungy, those spex look good value for the buck.

Windyway, I checked that site, it looks good. They don't say much about the glasses I noticed, no mention of UVA, UVB protection. I guess you would assume there is none? How did you make out with yours?

Sheriff
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Nin, Croatia
Gear: Cabrinha, naish
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Sheriff » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Besides kiting I also do skydiving and I tried one of my old skydiving goggles in Hurghada in March. They did very well.. although some dried salt appeared they didn't fog and have excellent pheripheral vision..

http://www.akando.com/goggles.htm

Return to “Kitesurfing”