Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Does a stiffer board really pop that much better?!?

Forum for kitesurfers
assmaster
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Does a stiffer board really pop that much better?!?

Postby assmaster » Mon May 10, 2010 9:02 am

Slingshot flex technology that they pioneered in the wake is in my opinion the best for good pop, most top wakeboarders agree. The only thing some people say is the pop isn't as predictable as a stiffer foam core board.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Mon May 10, 2010 4:03 pm

slingshot pioneered?

there were a lot of people working in their garages that pioneered cassette const. long before SS and Doyle brought ANYTHING to the table.

That said, after sqeezing the charmin at Real last week there were one or two boards from SS that passed the test

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 11, 2010 12:46 am

it's simple just don't buy a wet floppy noodle and also don't buy a very stiff board if you want you knee and ankle joints to stay sound.

more rocker is awesome for pop and even damps landings real well but unfortunately it comes at the cost of more drag which can be a pain in the ass when being pulled by the wind and not a boat with an engine, particularly if the wind where you live is not strong and steady.- this is why kiteboards were developed with less rocker and more flex than a wakeboard. Less rocker so there is less drag - and flex to damp chop and knee/ankle joint impact.

assmaster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby assmaster » Tue May 11, 2010 1:31 am

scklandl wrote:slingshot pioneered?
Yes slingshot pioneered. If you wanna show me another company that successfully pioneered this technology "in the wake" side of things I will gladly be corrected.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 11, 2010 3:20 am

it has been interesting to see kiteboard construction influencing wakeboard (for wakeboarding) construction. LF do sidewall construction in their wakeboards now too as do a couple of other brands - this has enabled adding some flex - the older PU injection moulded wakeboards would not be up to being flexed and slammed many times at a thickness necessary for any flex.

Yeah some credit is due to kiteboard builders for this i think and they have snowboard builder to thank in turn.

Amazing how much lighter some newer wakeboard set ups are today complete with bindings - much easier to adapt to for a kiteboarder.

Who was the first company in the world to ever manufacture a kiteboard with snowboard style sidewalls? - I think it was ours but I would be interested to know if anyone had really beaten me to it because we did it without having ever seen anyone else do it yet. I guess i gott dig out the exact date of first one out of the press... will have a look.

http://www.dvntkiteboarding.com

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Tue May 11, 2010 4:50 am

@ ASS.... did you miss the hyperlite ROAM circa 2004? SS didnt get a wakeboard into the showroom until 2007

@ cloud... I could be wrong but I think Hana crew beat just about everyone to the punch in 01 or 02., but then again you guys are from another continent and the internet was just a glint in Al Gores eye so I had no idea DVNT even existed back then. When did you put out your 1st cassette const. run?

assmaster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby assmaster » Tue May 11, 2010 6:55 am

scklandl wrote:@ ASS.... did you miss the hyperlite ROAM circa 2004? SS didnt get a wakeboard into the showroom until 2007
Nope I didn't miss it, but it's not the same construction and is a completely different board with a completely different purpose.
SS bit the bullet and layed down a whole range of boards meant for full time wakeboarding and cable instead of just buttering around and hitting an odd rail like the Roam. Not to mention they bought a whole new concept in wake to the table with the 4 hole mounting system at a time where everyone still had 8 inch baseplates, allowing their boards to utilise their flex even better. I would say they pioneered it because they were the only ones brave enough to go out and do it full scale. I'm not talking about who invented it.
scklandl wrote: @ cloud... I could be wrong but I think Hana crew beat just about everyone to the punch in 01 or 02., but then again you guys are from another continent and the internet was just a glint in Al Gores eye so I had no idea DVNT even existed back then. When did you put out your 1st cassette const. run?
I know a few people in Australia who were running similar construction at the time, there was even a snowboard company "force" that was making kiteboards for a while to. Hard to say who did it first, but it's not like it was a wild leap of the imagination to put 2 and 2 together and try it.

@ Longwhitecloud
Kiteboard construction didn't really influence the wake side of things at all in making hybrid boards such as the new LF Watson. These boards are an entirely new concept with real bottom shapes and contours built into a thicker regular styled wakeboard with some flex, also the rails are urethane not ABS like kiteboards. It is nothing like any kiteboard that has been built so far.
If wakeboarding borrowed the idea from anywhere to make flex style boards it would have been from snowboarding as thats where it originated.

Also Kiteboard contruction didn't really influence SS wake line either, more snowboarding. They made a much better wakeboard than any of the kiteboards around the same time and they now use that technology in most of their kiteboard line up as well.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 11, 2010 7:28 am

Its the pvc foam or wood/foam core that lets them flex without breaking - not a good idea to try it with PU foam!

I reckon the LF factory in Dubai though hard about it after making so many kiteboards like this.

assmaster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby assmaster » Tue May 11, 2010 2:10 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:Its the pvc foam or wood/foam core that lets them flex without breaking - not a good idea to try it with PU foam!

I reckon the LF factory in Dubai though hard about it after making so many kiteboards like this.
The thing is LF Watson Hybrid is not made like their kiteboards, it's a completely new concept. It's a moulded board made from foam and wood stringers with a PU rail, not a flat 2 dimensional plank with a pvc rail. They haven't made any kiteboards like this before neither has anyone else.

decay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Lacuna CTO

Postby decay » Tue May 11, 2010 9:33 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Who was the first company in the world to ever manufacture a kiteboard with snowboard style sidewalls? - I think it was ours but I would be interested to know if anyone had really beaten me to it because we did it without having ever seen anyone else do it yet. I guess i gott dig out the exact date of first one out of the press... will have a look.
Hi Ian,

From my memory, Radical in France http://radical.fr/ was the first kiteboard company to do a board in snowboard style side wall construction. http://web.archive.org only gives limited pages of their site pre 2002, but I recall seeing pics of there first boards ~2000/01 being in that style. They weren't that far ahead of you tho - maybe a matter of months?

The first wakeboards that I know of that were produce in a snowboard press with side walls were made by Ribcage in Auckland in the late 90's for the wake board company 'Loose Unit'. I don't think the project got past just a few prototypes tho.

Cheers

DK

Return to “Kitesurfing”