Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The best kite for me in 2010: an hard choice ?

Forum for kitesurfers
flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: The best kite for me in 2010: an hard choice ?

Postby flysurfing » Wed May 12, 2010 10:17 am

tautologies wrote:
flysurfing wrote:
What to think of the new Naish Torch 2010 in 12M ?

On their website, i cannot find any information about the windrange.

As well i have hear the octopus system can be a big problem if the bladder got damaged ?

cheers
Torch is a nice kite. It has good windrange, but not as good as the cult. You might get away with a 10.5 cult or Helix. If the wind is mostly in the 12 knots then yes a 12 might be the ticket, but if it is a little higher then 10.5....

If jumping is more important, I would recommend the 2010 Helix...my all time favorite kite. Really powerful. The lightest bar setting is a little too light for me, but it is adjustable...I use the lightest bar pressure setting only in light winds...and sometimes if in onshore conditions.. :-)

I've never had problems with my octopus system.
Dear tautologies,

Thanks.

I've heard that the problem occurs when you need to repair the bladder and pull it out, then how to make it work with Octopus ?

Shall be hard to fix back the octopus system ?

Thx

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed May 12, 2010 12:01 pm

tautologies wrote: snip...
If jumping is more important, I would recommend the 2010 Helix...my all time favorite kite. Really powerful. The lightest bar setting is a little too light for me, but it is adjustable...I use the lightest bar pressure setting only in light winds...and sometimes if in onshore conditions.. :-)

snip...
Slightly off topic, I know - but curious

Why the lighter setting in onshore conditions ? (I assume you mean waveriding when talking onshore condtions, right ?)

But also in general :

I normally use the opposite settings, than you it seems.

In heavy/normal conditions, I set the bar pressure relatively medium (I like good pressure and feedback).
But in light wind (on bigger kites - otherwise not light wind), I always set it to the the most heavy bar pressure :thumb:

As you have almost no feedback in really light wind - so you want to compensate by setting to higher pressure - which in reality will be a lot lower because of the lower wind 8)
If you ride with really light bar pressure, most riders will really get an ineffective kite, because over and undersheeting will happen A LOT - without you knowing or being able to feel it :roll:

Above means, that I set my big kite/kites to higher pressure, in order to be able to ride waves in light wind with these, and get max power out of the kite :thumb:

And then I set the bar pressure down, on my smaller kites - because they are usually okay powered, thus resulting in a good kite feedback :D

Just the opposite as you do it seems, but there could be other factors maybe ?

Interesting :rollgrin:

:D Peter

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu May 13, 2010 2:28 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Slightly off topic, I know - but curious

Why the lighter setting in onshore conditions ? (I assume you mean waveriding when talking onshore condtions, right ?)

But also in general :

I normally use the opposite settings, than you it seems.

In heavy/normal conditions, I set the bar pressure relatively medium (I like good pressure and feedback).
But in light wind (on bigger kites - otherwise not light wind), I always set it to the the most heavy bar pressure :thumb:

As you have almost no feedback in really light wind - so you want to compensate by setting to higher pressure - which in reality will be a lot lower because of the lower wind 8)
If you ride with really light bar pressure, most riders will really get an ineffective kite, because over and undersheeting will happen A LOT - without you knowing or being able to feel it :roll:

Above means, that I set my big kite/kites to higher pressure, in order to be able to ride waves in light wind with these, and get max power out of the kite :thumb:

And then I set the bar pressure down, on my smaller kites - because they are usually okay powered, thus resulting in a good kite feedback :D

Just the opposite as you do it seems, but there could be other factors maybe ?

Interesting :rollgrin:

:D Peter

If you have sine the kite a lot having it at a lower bar pressure, relieves the pressure on the arms. When riding waves, or in light winds I have to turn the kite a lot, on the lighter setting I can use one hand in the center to turn the kite, so no need to have more than one hand on the bar to turn the kite.

Yes I meant onshore wave riding..if you cannot make it down the line..ie on closeout sets, the kite is pretty much in front of you so turning becomes a necessity ..when turning the kite a lot to me it is better to have a light bar setting. In onshore wave conditions the kite has to cover a lot of area and I seem to turn it a lot more. When having the light setting I can actually turn with one hand in the center fairly easy.

I like more feedback on higher winds, especially when I try my lame kiteloops because it gives more feedback, and I can sheet out during the loop instead of going face first into 20 cm of water :-)

In general I would think it will be less over and under sheeting when keeping the bar on lighter settings because you do not move the bar as much up and down, and it therefore becomes more effective..assuming you are using the board well to gain upwind ground...
I'd agree that it is harder to feel the kite on a lighter setting, but this has not really been a problem.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu May 13, 2010 2:44 am

flysurfing wrote: I've heard that the problem occurs when you need to repair the bladder and pull it out, then how to make it work with Octopus ?

Shall be hard to fix back the octopus system ?

Thx
hey to put in a strut takes maybe 2-4 mins more than one with no one pump system.
It is pretty much just two rounds of sealing tape, and push the internal nipple in place. Really not that complex. If you have a friend to help you hold, it is easier.

The LE will take a little more, but if you pulled it out with line on the internal nipples, you can pretty much just pull the LE directly back out and not worry about having it twisted.
Iv'e only done a strut twice. Once to help a friend, and once for my own kite. Never had problems with my LE.

urjc22
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Currey Hammock, FL
Montrose, Chicago, IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby urjc22 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:34 am

F-One Bandit 3 9 or 10M depending on your board setup. Hands down one of the best all around performing kites on the market. Huge wind range as well.

Return to “Kitesurfing”