forum for kitesurfers

notus
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Lake Pflugerville
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: best board for chop

Postby notus » Fri May 21, 2010 8:47 pm

Chrys wrote:Wow, surprised to hear that about your Mako!
I'm 51 years old and I can ride the Mako for four hour, no breaks, sessions and when I come in my knees feel good.
I can vouch for Chrys. He'd stay out for days on that board if the sun didn't set.

Love to see that board in person Xtream...bring it on down when you come. we'll put some Lake Pflugerville blood on it :thumb:

adamj2281
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Charleston, SC - Folly Beach
Favorite Beaches: Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island, Wrightsville Beach, Playa Avellanas, Barker's, GC, East End, St. Croix,VI
Style: Surf mostly, some freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Razor 8m, Prodigy 12m, Roam 7m and 9.5m
Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke/Jester
Nobile 2HD
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby adamj2281 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:48 pm

adrood wrote:Guys i have a question also. I am thinking of buying a mako but i am wondering about size. What i have asked the dealer says the 150x40 but i am afraid the landings that will take too much impact on me . I was more thinking the 140x40 for that reason

I weight 76 KG for this year and i will go 80-82 for next summer. What should i buy tell me please your opinion
I've ridden both and I'm roughly your size, I think anyways (185 lbs). I forget the conversion, but anyways. I'm an intermediate rider, basically sent jumps, back rolls, etc. I love the Mako 140, I've ridden both the 140 and 150 quite a bit, in fact, I'm on the 150 right now as I had an incident and lost my 140.

But anyways, the 140 is a lot looser, and easier to spin around and control in the air. The 150 carves deeper, and I can't really tell a difference in regard to going upwind.

So depending on what you want to use the Mako for, I'd go with the 140.

lalawyer
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby lalawyer » Fri May 21, 2010 9:57 pm

2010 Nobile NHP.

I upgraded from the 555 and love this board in chop.

Scott

urjc22
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Currey Hammock, FL
Montrose, Chicago, IL

Postby urjc22 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:30 am

Try a 2010 F-One Trax 5. You will not be disapointed. The Carbon flex pattern used in the board makes all the difference. It eats up the chop.

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Sat May 22, 2010 7:37 am

133 Model 3 by Jimmy is very carvy, however I go upwind better on my 130 Wainman Blunt. Blunt is very carvy. Stiffer, lots of rocker and concave. It eats the chop. SU2 is very similar to Wainman, but not as good upwind....

kitenaked
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sherman Island - NorCal
Area 51
Style: not naked
Brand Affiliation: Kite Naked, JN Kites, Cabrinha, Shinn & Wainman

Postby kitenaked » Sat May 22, 2010 7:41 am

Haven't ridden the Mako....would like to try the smaller one. I am 200 lbs, prefer shorter boards.

Key in the chop is Rocker.

Rogue boards look sweet.

Oleg
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Oleg » Sat May 22, 2010 8:18 am

lalawyer wrote:2010 Nobile NHP.

I upgraded from the 555 and love this board in chop.

Scott
+1

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:46 am

Thought I would resurrect this thread.

I just came back from Maui. Rode the 140 wide with the thruster wave style pattern fins on one side. Loved the board in the chop and the swell.

I have owned a couple custom Jimmy Lewis Boards. They were awesome, until they broke. Just wish the JL custom boards were more durable. I had a really sweet one that was similar to a Mako 150, only a bit less wide and much lighter. Rode it for a couple years and it was sooo sweet. The Mako 140 has a similar ride, albeit a bit heavier. However, I will put up with a little extra weight for more durability.

Nukin
Frequent Poster

Postby Nukin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:55 pm

I like the airush Hammer for chop and waves. I ride the smaller of the 2 sizes and its a really fun board in all conditions except flat water.

From the airush design team: Tucked Surf Rails through the center of the board allow a positive driving bottom turn. A hard edge through the last ¼ of the board maintains speed and bite when coming off the top.
Three stage "Wave" rocker with slightly increased rocker in the tip area for clearance and increased turning.
A significantly narrower tail with more curve in the rear section of the outline is combined with reduced thickness and increased flex in this section. The result is maximum snap when coming off the top.
Double V Concave into Spiral V - This bottom shape was developed with two outcomes in mind: First, enhance the directional stability of the board without the need for massive fins. And second, give a positive drive when rolling the board over from the heel edge to the toe edge when initiating a turn.
Compared to a medium size freestyle board, the Hammer has increased water line length and a slightly narrower width to enhance stability on the wave.
The new Code fin provides maximum grip for waveriding and design to limit the front catching.

alden
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks, NC
Cape Cod
Style: water, snow, land

Postby alden » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:58 pm

Yet another vote for Model III. Original post wanted to cruise thru chop and the best board I ever owned for soul-session cruising and carving powered turns thru chop was Jimmy Lewis Model III. It has high rocker and it rides relatively deep thru the water and as a result it constantly throws up a great looking rooster tail but it needs to be powered. And if you want to go fast thru chop instead of having to back off, this board will take all the kite power you can give it, by putting your weight on your rear heel and just blast your way thru. But it is not great at upwind and with its long fins it feels like it tracks too well for me, (not loose enough). I sold this board and bought a LF Influence which I ride better all around free-ride but I still do occasionally miss the Model III.

Return to “Kitesurfing”