Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is there a surfboard that can match a Door in lightwind?

Forum for kitesurfers
FL Kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Favorite Beaches: South Jetty, Ft. Pierce, FL USA
Anne's Beach, Islamorada, FL USA
Style: Freeriding
Gear: |
Cabrinha: '09 16m XBOW / GK: '08 12m & 9m Trix / Eclipse: '08 14m Thruster
|
2009 Nobile XTR 143x48, T5 137x42 / 2007 Litewave 179
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Is there a surfboard that can match a Door in lightwind?

Postby FL Kiteboarder » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:17 pm

PeterP wrote:IMO a free-ride board must be able to turn on the rail as well, i.e. carve.
The Sector 52 does this, the Monaro v.II and Norths do not.
Could the same be said of the Sector 60?

(I couldn't help but notice you specifically noted the 52)

Marc
Cabrinha - XBOW '09 16m / Naish - Cult '10 13.5m / GK - Trix '08 12m & 9m / Eclipse -Thruster '08 14m - Nano '09 11m
Kiteboarding Videos: Feat. Nobile, Mystic, GK, Litewave, Flyboards, Ozone, Naish, Cabrinha, & More

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:32 pm

markchatwin wrote:Hey Ronnie - thanks for the videos. The first one seems pretty flat water - if there were waves and chop can you negotiate the waves and carve on them or are you just going over them?
Sorry, beyond my experience, but fortunately not beyond Peter Franks.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:43 am

Toby wrote:yeah, just buy a cheap one and see how it goes.
For sure it is fun to play with a new toy!
Also try a skimboard!
Aw don't tell me that - they had skimboard for like $70 too. Big wide thing! Gah, I knew I should have bought at least one :lol:

My old Airush Square One - could I put surfboard fins on the back and turn it into a mutant? :naughty:

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:38 am

surfboard with a flatter rocker will. Riding a door is like riding an aircraft carrier and has about the same movement capabilites - a surfboard however rules in every way!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:44 am

longwhitecloud wrote:surfboard with a flatter rocker will. Riding a door is like riding an aircraft carrier and has about the same movement capabilites - a surfboard however rules in every way!
I also personally think the surfboards (Big Fish strapless or a strapped surfboard or just a standard strapless) rocks big time regarding the fun factor, as soon as there are just a little bit of even the smallest waves, AND sufficient wind for this :thumb:

Not the absolute first on the water, no, but often worth to wait for a bit more wind (and it does not need to be much down in these "low" numbers :naughty: )

:D Peter

PeterP
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Sales Manager Airush Kiteboarding

Postby PeterP » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:35 am

FL Kiteboarder wrote:
PeterP wrote:IMO a free-ride board must be able to turn on the rail as well, i.e. carve.
The Sector 52 does this, the Monaro v.II and Norths do not.
Could the same be said of the Sector 60?

(I couldn't help but notice you specifically noted the 52)

Yes and No - I specifically highlighted the 52 because it does it surprisingly well, to a point where you'll want to chuck it into a turn everytime you find a smooth piece of water. The 60, due to it's width is more cumbersome, and is much more tricky to carve, but due to the curvy outline and forgiving rails, it will do it.

I've been riding the 52 almost exclusively with the big finset 18's and 22's - with smaller fins it will be even more of a hoot to carve.

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby markchatwin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:31 pm

Yeh I think idealistically that I need 2 boards. Dedicated Light wind (ie Sector) and a Fish Surfboard. Because I'm riding strapless I feel like I need some width and stability for gybes plus the waves are small and the conditions are mushy and I'm not an aggressive slasher.

I like the Placebo Uber Fish (Lost Round Nose shape) or the Surftech Xanadu Wave Rocket Fish and I'm currently deciding what size. I also like the Cabrinha S-Killit...

For the real light stuff I'm struggling to decide if I should get a 52 or a 60 Sector. I just wonder at my weight (165lbs) if the 60 would be overkill. Another big issue regarding the Door vs Sector shoot out is although I can get out to deep enough water for the fins I wonder if weeds will destroy my sessions without appropriate weed fins. My lake has pretty good weeds from July to September and my windsurf boards needed weed fins to make it through. Wouldn't the Sector require the same?

Just today I was in 12mph with my Zephyr 17m and I was losing ground on my mako King (strapless/directional - 3 fins on tail). I then used my buddy's Flightdeck and though I was upwind no problem the chop and waves made it not much fun. I actually think the Sector 52 or the Fish would have been perfect. Fish for the fun waves and Sector for cruising out in the small rollers going to the other side of the lake - ie sightseeing...

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:46 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:surfboard with a flatter rocker will. Riding a door is like riding an aircraft carrier and has about the same movement capabilites - a surfboard however rules in every way!
Hmmm, actually, I ought to disagree with that, my versions of the door have always been kept within the 140x40 boundaries without ever feeling the need to go any bigger/wider despite being a full size guy at 85kg. Because of that, and being finless, they are very nimble and actually really fun in the surf as long as it's not huge and not too choppy. It feels like a snowboard / skate and the rail to rail transitions feel just like that. It can be super loose/slidey if you want it to, and really grippy when you dig the rail in. It takes a bit of practice as the drive in the turn is a bit different from your everyday board, but once you have it sorted and commit to the turn, it's a lot of fun. Having the greatest upwind capabilities also means that you get to surf substantially much more waves compared to any other board. (well, unless you consider using a raceboard in the waves :roll: )

A surfboard is in a totally different league, more oriented to proper surfing, and I'd choose one over the other just depending on the spot. Wind angle, quality of waves, shallowness of the shoreline...

Bottom line: you need both, as each one deserves to be part of your weaponry!

Portnawake flaqueboards, since 2001

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North

Postby ktflyer381 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:14 pm

Race boards should probably come with mast tracks.

MonkeyAir
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeyAir » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:54 am

Hi Peter.
I woud have to differ with your opinion on order of those boards for light wind. The fish I mention work very well in chop and surf and easily pop over white water by carrying momentum unlike the other boards which will loose energy and speed. The proper old school fish board can be ridden off of a very small portion of the edging rear rail and large fin once planing. They are also instantly on a plane. If it has more than two fins or small fins with excessive tow in, forget it. We use them in very large surf and chop and nothing has come close. Unfortunately once again what people call fish are not. Often they pulled nose pseudo fish with excessive entrance and exit rocker. Heck North called their little sinker a fish. Nothing could be further from a fish. Using anything but the original design keel fins also defeats the purpose. In traveling i have rented many different types and of course tested many at home. Light years of difference. No small strapped directional can come close imho as you loose energy in lulls and they sink, thus the on and off feeling. Conservation of energy is everything and though not the efficiency of finage of a race board, it allows huge planing area reduced to minimal once going. Sounds like we have both spent entirely too much time in low wind areas. We also need to let the wave do the majority of the work once getting on them with the kite and no smaller directional or tt will pull that off. Light guys of course can play by different rules. Gravity is really a killer.
Good Winds.
Traig

Return to “Kitesurfing”