All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Ozone Catalyst-C4-Edge 2010
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:44 am 
Frequent Poster

From the quite bad windrange chart on the Ozone website, it seems that the largest size of each model will have comparable low-end so 13Edge=14Catalyst=15C4... Does it make any sense?
Just trying to figure out the true Grunt of the Catalyst 14. If it is like the Edge 13, I have a good idea of what it can do.

If anyone had any idea, please drop a few words in here.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Ozone Catalyst-C4-Edge 2010
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:57 am 
Frequent Poster

My own reply...lol...it does not say that at all. I like the powerkiteshop table... What size to use in the 10-25 knot range depending on you weight. I am not sure it is that precise though, it says an 85kg should use a 12m...hum... in 10knots? 12m?... maybe with a raceboard but still, I think every kite company should present the ranges that way. We see way too many kites for sale with the seller stating it is way too powerfull for them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:25 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hello there,
having flown the C4 13m - Cat 14m and yesterday the Edge 13m.
I can say that they do have about the same low end..

But they are very different kites..

Edge 13m absolute racing machine... Goes super fast and crazy upwind.
Super jumper with very good float..
But quite a slow turner and not good in waves.
If you are into racing or old school that's the kite!!!

Everyone on the beach is already worried as yesterday nobody could hold my angle or even match my speed and I was on a regular board...

Bye Jankie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I own a catalyst 12m my son a C4 11M..
catalyst has more grunt, it jumps higher with the same amount of wind than the C4, but hangtime of C4 is longer.

Catalyst and C4 both have a good lowend,
catalyst a a great drifter going with the waves, no experience with the C4 on that matter
Catalyst is fast but very controlable, in gusts the catalyst is softer, the C4 is direct in giving through the gust
Catalyst is amazing when you have to restart it...so easy..no experience with C4 on that matter.

catalys looks like a pretty small kite, due to a more delta shape look.
To me with 83kg I have a 12m and 8 I hear a lot of good things about the 10m, maybe I will buy me a 6m as a go most of the time on a directional.
:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:49 pm 
Frequent Poster

Thanks guys, I think I might give into the Catalyst this year. At 83 kg, what would be the minimum wind for the 12m? 12-13ish knots? and I guess the 10 gets you going around 15 and kieeps you out all the way to close to 30 knots-32knots gusts.... Oh I mean the 8m... you don't have a 10... Yep 14-10 is likely to be it for 10-12 knots to 25-27 gusting to close to 30. I have a huge TT (150X48, wrapped edges so thinck, it floats like a sailboard).

Thanks again guys.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hello again,
I'm 72 kilos and with my Surfboard I can use the CAT 12m from 13 knots...
Our wind is a bit less powerful compare to most places!
But you are heavier and want to use a TT.. I would say also 13 knots of your wind...
Bye Jankie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi again,

I have 83kg's, I have a strapped naish surf 6'1.

The 12m gets me going around 13knots, because it is fast, and I can work it well and due to the volume in the directional.
I find the 12 pretty powerfull, with a long depower rope..it works well..
My son and his friends who fly C4 and are much more dare devils than their father ( me 55j) all say the Catalyst jumps pretty easy and is going high, but alls tell me the same it does not have the hangtime of the C4.
To me not important, as I am mostly killing and carving the small waves we have; and for that the kite is so nice.
Again I wantto mention the easy starting from the water after I dropped it...I had the sporrt's last year, this kite is much more fun for me, especially when I dropped it, it starts so easy.
All I can say is, that whoever is looking for an easy to handle very good alround freeride/wave kite, this is the kite, it is also very light!
For the guys who are more into freestyle the C4 is the kite, more direct power, a bit faster, and longer hangtime!
:bye:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:57 am 
Rare Poster

The Ozone C4 really is a great kite but like you said Gary you need to get a fly to make up your mind.
give me a call and i will get you a 12m to Demo i know its not the exact size you are looking for but you will be able to get an idea of how the C4 feels. as its a little Different to other ozone kites over the years!...
failing that Give Ryan Coote a call hes based in Ireland somewhere.. hes a team rider for ozone and rep for underground.
087 2229542
skype ryan.coote
info@kitesurfireland.ie
www.kitesurfireland.ie

my Email is

info@hydr8boarsports.com
tel: 01202708264

cheers

Justin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:20 pm 
Medium Poster

Thanks Justin, I think we hijacked this thread, apologies. I will give you a call as I am back in UK at moment, have already contacted Ryan, he seems pretty stoked with the C4. As mentioned in other thread, I am looking to keep my 2008 12m Light II for 11- 16knts, then look to eventually get 2 C4's to cover 16knts - 40+ I am looking at the C4 as I want something a bit more exciting than my lights (which have served me well).
I weigh 75kg and only ride surfboards. Currently I use a 5'2" Freewave, homebuilt 5'7" quad fish and homebuilt 6ft squash tail.
Any sugestions to what sizes to go for? Was thinking 5 & 9m

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:05 am 
Frequent Poster

Ok ok... I tried the Zephyr, makes a 14m useless and we do get shitty winds here, 8 to 20knots within minutes is not rare... Tried the Catalyst 14m, too soft, my Rebel 14m feels much more lively and stable. But the smoothness of the Zephyr was nice (although a tad heavy to sine around the sky). But the C4 has 5 struts a bit like the Zephyr so it should be more rigid than the Catalyst. What are your toughts.... Zephyr for 8 to 15 (gusting to 20 for seconds then back down to 8-10) then a C4 12 or 13m (I don't need a 14m with the ZEPH, but I need to get going in the 13-23knot range with some lulls closer to 10 than 13 and gusts a bit over (25-27)) and finally a C4 9m for 15knots up to 30, I am 85kg. The Catalyst 12m is still a possibility but I wonder if the C4 would not have a more stable feeling.

Sorry to complicate teh equation,Selling my Rebel 14m, 12m and 9m and buying a ZEPH, Fuse 12m and 9m (or keeping thos 2 Rebels) would make my life much easier but I prefer to stay in the same family and I prefer front lines that come close to the cleat vs a high Y.

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next