onshore wind and small area self launch

Forum for kitesurfers
prep
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

onshore wind and small area self launch

Postby prep » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:31 am

we have a grass area about 10m wide but the wind is directly onshore. after the grass ends there is a carpark so no room for error

usually just slide launch at the beach but cant do it here, also cant sand the wingtip because there is no sand. Also i pump the kite up pretty hard so folding the wingtip isnt to good

anyone else have a shitty launch like this? I was thinking of a nice heavy sandbag with a long line attached to it running back to where my bar is. so I can flip the kite up in right position, put sandbag on wing tip, run back hook in then pull the line attatched to sandbag to pull it off the kite and up she goes...or into carpark i go(joking)

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: onshore wind and small area self launch

Postby ronnie » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:07 am

Yes at high tide I have one with concrete walls, metal posts, childrens swings, a car park etc, although the car park is more than 10m away - more like 25.

Haven't used it.

Jan:)
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Jan:) » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:15 am

Using a 5th line kite I have been doing sort of a reverse self landing launch.

Laying the lines out.
Then I put the Kite like it would be after its released to the 5th Line.
Walk along the 5th Line to the Bar
Do a normal 5th Line relaunch.

kitezilla
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitezilla » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:08 pm

If the water is shallow for about 200 feet away from shore, you have a few options. You would have to be able to walk out into the shallow water and place an anchor there. Also a 5th line would be needed.

What is the situation at your place, concerning these factors?

prep
Frequent Poster

Postby prep » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:50 am

the wind is straight onshore, and gass only max 10m wide, if the kite swings straight downwind, or even at 45 degrees it will be in the carpark. most of the time I can self launch and the kite doesnt move much downwind...but I cant risk making a mistake at this spot

the water is shallow...but lots of weed for the first 100m which when its on the lines makes it impossible to launch. I have been looking at that turbo launcher thing but not sure how well it works and where to put it afterwards

On a Rampage
Medium Poster

Postby On a Rampage » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:02 am

The spot may be 10m wide but what is the length from the water to the lot?

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:54 am

Can you do a , I call it a "Hybrid Launch"? The way you self launch a new (06+) kite.

Check out some clips online on how to self launch.
With no sand and/or folding tips etc.

You have to be directly upwind of the kite with your bar. before you walk to your bar, point your kite into the wind as much as you can, without it filling up with wind completely, only the down wind wingtip fills up with wind a little bit.
Run to your bar, bull the right, or left rear lines to make your kite fill with wind and it should flip over and ..giddy up.
Hard to explain in words..check for videos online. Ozone has one, Eclipse has one, but Dimitry has to change it to a better one...
Maybe I make one...

How deep is the water right of the beach? Can you walk out?

Pike
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pike » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:47 am

I have tried a number of methods in the past - including this sort of tight area launch. The only way is to load the tip. I have tried plastic bags, canvas bags but the best weight which slides off easiest (which is what you want in this situ!) is dry sand - works without having to fold tip as long as you have hybrid or bow.
So, get a bag full of dry sand (where you are or from the nearest dry beach) and empty sand from bag onto the kite. Usual self launch. :thumb:
As it is a grass area the sand will still be there to put back into your bag! But then what about self land? hmmmm, maybe need two bags.
Word of warning - I also tried the attach leash to bag methos - fine in constant light winds, but gusty??no way! :nono:
I even onve tried a release mechanism which was attached to the LE and then to an anchor.....needless to say I abandoned that one! :o :o

BullsShit.com
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Moks', Kailua, Town
Favorite Beaches: Town
Style: old school
Gear: Eclipse Thruster 8, 12. Nano 6
Underground 128 /39 (custom) 07(08)
Mystic harness, Blue Planet shorts, Off Da Lip rash guard
Victoria Secret under wear
Brand Affiliation: being a good friend

Postby BullsShit.com » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:05 am

works with other kites just kick ass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KAMj-K1W8Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGZI7lBWaME" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.eclipsekiteboarding.net/inde ... Itemid=122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if it don't work, the link is under kites, thrusters , videos, how to land...

prep
Frequent Poster

Postby prep » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:02 am

BullsShit.com wrote:works with other kites just kick ass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KAMj-K1W8Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGZI7lBWaME" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.eclipsekiteboarding.net/inde ... Itemid=122" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
if it don't work, the link is under kites, thrusters , videos, how to land...
yeah I use this method on the beach no problem....there is room for error. If there is a wind shift....big lull or you mess up somehow your kite will slide all the way downwind of you. this is no good when I have such a small area downwind of me.

I think I will have to go for sandbag option. or take my gf to launch me

Return to “Kitesurfing”