forum for kitesurfers

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Slingshot 2011

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:07 pm

shymac wrote:14m is a legit size... both power and speed are in the package! It will knock the socks of the 15m REV/Octane. Imagine a 17.5m 2005 Machine that has more speed and lower bar pressure and can relaunch... That's what the 14m Rally feels like to me... With that and the Dialer or Glide I can go in around 8-10kts. Its gonna be a monster in the snow! In addition the bar is 23" gandalf stick with 27m lines for ultimate flying control bar for light wind and big kites.
Sweet! Great to hear. The 17.5 Machine was a nice kite in its day! If the 14 Rally is even a little more agile than my 15 REV, I'm sold. I'll probably be good for 12-40+ with a 6/10/14 quiver. :thumb:
lisaped wrote:Shy, how can you compare the low end of Rally 12 vs. Rev/Octane 13?
FYI - In my experience I thought the sizes were true to labeling with maybe a little more low end. So, a 12 Rally is probably similar in low end to your 13/Rev Octane. For instance, on the high end, I wanted to be off the 12 Rally (and on to the 10) a little sooner than I need to put down my 11M REV.

SS sizing is pretty true. Some brands put up a LOT of fabric IMO and then downgrade the size...I saw an 11M delta this weekend of another brand that looked like a friggin' 14. I'm sure it has a GREAT low end! :duh:

Richtw
Medium Poster

Postby Richtw » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:35 pm

Ok not often I would ask advice from a forum over something like this but......

I am about to change my kites over as I always try to keep them under 2 years old where possible. I demo'd the Slingshot Rally and loved it, light bar pressure, boosty just an alround fun kite that does not feel like it will ever hand you your ass on a plate. And therein lies the dilemma....

I have had various kites over the years but in more recent times Torches and had a few ties with the 5th and so went for 4 line kites, Helixes, then Fuels which I loved but found the top end of the 7 a bit too low (32 knots was maxed), but in its slot the Fuels were mental fun. The 11 got going from about 14 knots no problem the 9 kicked in nicely at 20 knots the 7 kicked in a 25 knots but lacked for me (70Kg) the top end. I could now get a quiver of Fuels with the new 6m and go 11, 9, 6.... almost certainly my arse would be handed to me on a plate but they are very predictable and not as bad as people would make out!

Should I go with the safe fun option or throw common sense to the wall and go 6, 9, 11 Fuel? If so, any one got an idea what the bottom end of the 2011 11m Fuel is?

Thoughts, comments all welcome?

Kiteosphere
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kiteosphere » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Anyone tried the 6'2" Tyrant yet in the surf? If so how about some impressions.

stefaans
Very Frequent Poster

Postby stefaans » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:41 pm

I would say its the same as the BWP. I am a Slingshot dealer and have these in inventory but haven't put one together yet so don't know much about it but I am pretty sure its a Ben Wilson Pro. A great board for whern the swell comes up a bit.

Kraimer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Hatteras
Favorite Beaches: Hatteras
Style: Freeride
Gear: 15m 04 Fuel, 13M Diesel, 9M Diesel

Postby Kraimer » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:53 pm

Richtw wrote:Ok not often I would ask advice from a forum over something like this but......

I am about to change my kites over as I always try to keep them under 2 years old where possible. I demo'd the Slingshot Rally and loved it, light bar pressure, boosty just an alround fun kite that does not feel like it will ever hand you your ass on a plate. And therein lies the dilemma....

I have had various kites over the years but in more recent times Torches and had a few ties with the 5th and so went for 4 line kites, Helixes, then Fuels which I loved but found the top end of the 7 a bit too low (32 knots was maxed), but in its slot the Fuels were mental fun. The 11 got going from about 14 knots no problem the 9 kicked in nicely at 20 knots the 7 kicked in a 25 knots but lacked for me (70Kg) the top end. I could now get a quiver of Fuels with the new 6m and go 11, 9, 6.... almost certainly my arse would be handed to me on a plate but they are very predictable and not as bad as people would make out!

Should I go with the safe fun option or throw common sense to the wall and go 6, 9, 11 Fuel? If so, any one got an idea what the bottom end of the 2011 11m Fuel is?

Thoughts, comments all welcome?
I have the '09 5-7-9-11 and the '10 13. The 5 is tiny. The 7 and the 9, IMO have very similar sizes however, with respect to the Fuels, the 7 is the "money" kite. It jumps higher and harder then the 9 as well as loops to recover better than the 9. I'm 200lbs. For me, at my weight, the 5 does not come alive till its blowing 35+. I've had some sessions on the 5 in 25 G 29 - 32 and I could hold up wind but its not alive.

For your weight you maybe able to pull the 6, 7, 11. If Shy could, it'd be awesome to have the whole quiver (At least the 5-6-7-9) pumped up next to each other to see the size differences in the '11 line up. I'm very curious too. I want to put a 6 into my quiver and start replacing the '09 fuels. Not sure what a pain in the ass that would be :heartface: LOL

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:36 pm

why is there so little on the 11 stuff even though it is in the shops?!

I called SS America today and unfortunatly was cut off, I really wanted a few questions answered as I am buying 2 new fuels but couldn't even get that support!!!

frustrating.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:44 am

Tone wrote:why is there so little on the 11 stuff even though it is in the shops?!

I called SS America today and unfortunatly was cut off, I really wanted a few questions answered as I am buying 2 new fuels but couldn't even get that support!!!

frustrating.
Call back. SS phone support, for me, has always been instant and great.

james
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:55 am

tyrant is a little different to the BWP, mainly there is a little less concave to free the board up and make it a little more snappy,

certainly still the choice for decent waves and that pure thruster feeling,

at least for the riders that are wanting to ride it strapped there is more option on the stance width that many people simply found too lagre to ride comfortably now that the fast track is on the boards

for me though the celaritas is still the board of choice for the UK

Sake
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Slingshot 2011 2011 bar

Postby Sake » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:19 pm

@Shy:
Will the compstick bar be changed for 2011?
Obviously not not in fall 2010.
But what about spring 2011, like when the 2011 RPM will be for sale?

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:56 pm

went with my gut feeling and ordered a 13 and 9 Fuel 2011.

looking forward to getting them now!

Return to “Kitesurfing”