All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Maximum downwinder
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:48 pm 
Medium Poster

Whats the longest distance downwinder most kiters are willing to do? I know that downwinders on the Hatteras/Outer Banks ocean can be seriously exhausting, but how much is that because of the nature of the waves and the heavy salt water?

I am considering a downwinder on Lake Erie from Mentor Headlands Beach to Kenneth J Sims Park, which is about 19 miles. Fresh water, and when the wind is Northeast, it is smooth and steady, blows from noon to a couple hours before sunset, and the waves are nice easy rollers.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6925379 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Mentor Headlands is right next to Fairport Harbor on this map.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Maximum downwinder
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

SaulOhio wrote:
Whats the longest distance downwinder most kiters are willing to do? I know that downwinders on the Hatteras/Outer Banks ocean can be seriously exhausting, but how much is that because of the nature of the waves and the heavy salt water?

I am considering a downwinder on Lake Erie from Mentor Headlands Beach to Kenneth J Sims Park, which is about 19 miles. Fresh water, and when the wind is Northeast, it is smooth and steady, blows from noon to a couple hours before sunset, and the waves are nice easy rollers.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6925379 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Mentor Headlands is right next to Fairport Harbor on this map.

6 miles can be exhausting if you are not used to it. But I have done 16 miles without much prep, the hardest part of dw is the different body position. We get great at leaning and edging upwind but not we spend little time going down wind. More upright stance I think.
Hell, as long as you have a safe bail out point why not try it? Just bring a cell phone so you can call to get picked up.... oh and the other thing I find is muscle cramps due to dehydration, so I would recommend a camel back and maybe an energy bar, your gonna be out there for a while, no need to starve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:36 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Most people are completely underestimate their ability to travel distance with a kite.

I have done 45km as the crow flies downwinder in double head waves. 70km landboarding. and 245km of a backwards and fowards 24hr on the landboard.

19 miles should be easy and similar to a normal session your are doing going back and forth at the same spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

we do the lexington to port huron downwinder pretty often, that's 20 miles. dont do them much longer than that, not because of fatigue, 100 mile downwinder is no problem, the problem is when you snap a line or your board breaks, good luck getting a pickup any time soon, you are gonna be there all day.

when's the downwinder saul I might make the trip to mentor.

ok i lied. I just pulled up google maps. Not scenic! Finished the most amazing downwinder two weeks ago on lake huron, near pinconnning no homes on the shore, no piers, no boats, nothing but pure nature for miles and miles, it was magnificent, so beautiful. This goes off on a NE so that's where I'll prolly go.

Last edited by edt on Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:45 pm 
Medium Poster

Every year we do a 75km downwinder for charity in melbourne Australia. This year 100 kiters did it. It took abour 6 hours as the wind completely dies for 30-40mins leaving us floating around till it came back. Its called across the bay acrossthebay.com.au and it raised money for cancer. Last year we raised around 85k.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:03 pm 
Medium Poster

edt: Actually I like some of the scenery in the area. Some really cool looking houses. I took pictures on my last shorter downwinder.

I often do a shorter run, from Sims Park to Wildwood Yacht Club, and ride my bike back. That's for after-work sessions.

Attachments:
G0058396.JPG
G0058396.JPG [ 2.15 MIB | Viewed 446 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:36 am 
Frequent Poster

I think 10 to 15 miles per hour is typical in a regular kite session. Keep in mind downwinder may have less energy expended if not doing tricks etc. If you're regularly kiting 2 to 3 hours then 20 to 30 miles should be fairly doable?.

On a longer expedition here a friend passed on a tip....cargo pant type shorts with side pockets. ..much easier access than a backpack and not in the way. The on situation where shorts over wetsuit is excusable!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:25 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Bring water and a cell phone.

[ 8 posts ]