Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Board: What is Gun?

Forum for kitesurfers
Morten W
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sydvestpynten / Amager Strandpark (DK)
Gear: Cabrinha and F-one kites / Naish and Spleene boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Board: What is Gun?

Postby Morten W » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:53 pm

Several brands have a "gun", which seems to be a somewhat bigger board than other board surfboard-categories. Especially F-one have a large 6'9'' gun. What is the purpose of a long "gun" (don't get me wrong :lol: ) compared to more standard kite-waveboards?

I'm about to go from twintip freestylre to directional wave, and I was thinking that a long gun will be stable and therefore a good beginner board, but I'm unsure if I will loose too much of something else, like wheigt, manouverbility, "surf"-ability etc.

Regards, Morten

fourperf
Frequent Poster

Re: Board: What is Gun?

Postby fourperf » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:27 pm

Morten W wrote:Several brands have a "gun", which seems to be a somewhat bigger board than other board surfboard-categories. Especially F-one have a large 6'9'' gun. What is the purpose of a long "gun" (don't get me wrong :lol: ) compared to more standard kite-waveboards?

I'm about to go from twintip freestylre to directional wave, and I was thinking that a long gun will be stable and therefore a good beginner board, but I'm unsure if I will loose too much of something else, like wheigt, manouverbility, "surf"-ability etc.

Regards, Morten

generally a gun is a little narrower and longer. designed for large surf.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:01 pm

A gun board is a board with a narower tail and narower overall width.

I have several surfboards and one is a Don Johnston mini gun 6'8".

I like the board a lot because of the range it has and the great top end and holdoing down the power in the gusts. However I find that gun boards are best riden strapless. You have to move up and down on the board to take advantage of the shape of the board. Move forward for best upwind and flattening the board to fly over chop. Move back for best adgility and holding down power. I find that most of the time I am riding the board very far forward, with my front foot on the boards logo.... often with more board behind my feet than infront. Down the line in the waves I have my feet furtur back... for lefts up the line I ride very far forward on the board hoping back when I carve out of the wave as it breaks.

When choosing what to ride out of my various boards I choose the Gun for bigger faster waves and for days when I need to ride a long way upwind starting from light wind and ending up in a windier wave spot with no beach access.

One area where the gun is tricky to ride is toeside. It you don't get the stance right you lose quite a bit of power.

Here is the board I have.

Hull shape makes a big difference in a gun. The one I ride is quad concave. The concave also wraps around in the tail. The board also has a relatively pronounced exit rocker (end of the tail of the board). This would normally lead to some drag, but when the board is ridden with your feet forward the rocker has little effect. The concaves make the board track a straight line very well and hold an edge with the rail rather than just riding the fins more. I like this combination becasue tail rocker makes a board turn and feel the wave. The lenght of the gun compensates for the rocker as far as low end goes. The concave pattern in the tail also makes the board stick to the water when ridden overpowered.

Be ware that there is a big difference between a surfing gun and a kitebrand board called a gun.

Also chose a strong but light construction. I hate a heavy gun.

All that said I think that an old school fish is the beast directional to start with for both strapped and strapless.
Last edited by FredBGG on Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chooch
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Chapin Beach, Cape Cod MA
West Dennis Inlet, Cape Cod MA
Puclaro, Chile
Anywhere in the Gorge or Oregon Coast
Style: Wakestyle/Strapless Surf Skim Wakeskate

Postby Chooch » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:05 pm

A gun is usually longer and narrower than a traditional kite surfboard. I would stay away from any of these boards if you are a beginner, learning gybs is going to be a lot harder on a narrow board. Your best bet is to get something that is 19-21" wide to speed up your learning curve, the added width is going to make the board a lot more stable when you are walking around on it doing a gybe.

Length of you board all depends on you weight/heigh and local conditions, post up that info so I can suggest a good length to look for.

Morten W
Rare Poster

Postby Morten W » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:53 pm

Thx so far. Im 188 cm / 6'2" and 95 kg / 210 lb. I'll be riding small waves in sealand, Denmark.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:21 pm

Morten W wrote:Thx so far. Im 188 cm / 6'2" and 95 kg / 210 lb. I'll be riding small waves in sealand, Denmark.
If these are your conditions I would not recomend a gun.

But let me first correct the previous poster... gybing a gun is no harder than ather shorter and wider boards. My gun is very easy to gybe. The extra length lets you do the gybe with your feet in the center section of the board and it is super stable and not nervous. The concave keeps it going straight. Switch your feet and step back to carve your turn.

For your conditions and the small wind waves a short byt wide retro fish is a blast.
A board like the Rasta Fish by Dick Van Straalen would be the way to go.
It is short enough to fit nicely into the sloppy waves, but has a nice long almost straight section to the rail that makes it go upwind very well. This board rides very well strapless and straped. For your size and weight though just mount the rear strap a bit furture forward than most riders.
Strapless this board is a lot of fun and very easy despite being an adgile board.
Combined with the Sea Sheppard fins it is a great kiting board.
The low end is good on this board too as it has a lot rocker, but just enough rocker to make it feel right in the waves. I also find it is a lot of fun to ride over very wide whitewater areas, churning foam etc.

I'm 6'4" and 225 lbs so my weight is close to your.
Keep in mind that when getting advice on board sizes and types rider weight is very very important. What works for a 175 lb rider won't come close to working for a 210 lb rider.
Kite companies don't really design for heavy riders... best to look for something from a surf company. You will find that the straps on kite company boards will be to far back for you.
Best solution is no straps :thumb:

Move around on that board 8) :wink:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:44 pm

I think guns can be fun in smaller conditions too. It all depends on how you ride and where you place your foot / foot strap.
...but be prepared to ride it a little more powered up. They are fun to jump and slash. Generally they will be easy to control in higher speed, but not as fast to turn. This doesn't always hold on kiteboard guns, since they are adapted more to how we ride then.
Compare these guns:
http://www.naishkites.com/en/boards/custom_gun.html
To these regular boards:
http://www.naishkites.com/en/boards/custom_global.html

same size will be a little narrower with the gun, and they generally have a pretty thin pin tail, that might be slightly elongated.

Morten W
Rare Poster

Postby Morten W » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:35 am

FredBGG - I understand that you're Aviso-carbon fiber-strapless happy - I totally understand that from just looking at it (and because carbon fiber seems to be taking over the world of exclusive sports gear). However 1400 USD + 25 % Danish VAT and delivery is a bit more than expected to begin with :-?

It dosn't show on Aviso's homepage, but I guess from what you're telling that all Aviso surfboards can be ridden strapped and strapless?

What aproximate size of another fish should I look for? Is it necessary to look out for fishes with special possibilities to place the back strap (forward due to my weight) or is it possible to move the straps back'n'forth on most brands?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:38 pm

Morten W wrote:Thx so far. Im 188 cm / 6'2" and 95 kg / 210 lb. I'll be riding small waves in sealand, Denmark.
for fish shapes I've been riding board between 5'8'' and 6'2''. I'm seriously considering the new 6'0'' Naish fish as it has some nice deep channels that helps to keep control when you ride it a little more powered. I'll have a closer look at it when it comes out. I've tried it once, and liked it a lot.

Think about getting a more modern fish shape..the tail isn't as wide, and many times it has a quad set up since that will give the board a little more range.

It is fun to ride a twin fin too, but I think they more limited in range...it is totally dependent on the conditions, as they are a lot more slippery than the quads. :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”