All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Naish Kite Race. Kailua, Oahu. Fun in the Sun
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

So the event went off!!! With the wind being about 4-8 mph the day before I was a little on edge for the event to go or not, however the wind in the morning was light but steady. Through the day it was 8-15 mph... averaging maybe 11 - 13. ie perfect for racing and light wind raceboards. Sun was shining and scores of people were out there participants and spectators alike. Kailua was showing off the sunny light wind side that we enjoy so much.

Turnout were good and there were I think maybe 35-40 participants. I'm not sure about the official numbers, I guess they'll come later...I'll see if I can get hold of the results and post, but was great to see an event go like this. I think this is the first time in about 15 years that an official event has taken place in Kailua so thank you so much to Naish for putting on this, and thank you all for participating and helping making this a successful and safe event. It was so much fun, and such a good community builder.

People seemed to have a great time, and I think one of the things I like so much about this is that it is competitive secondary to having a great time. I do not think I've seen as many smiles in years.

Now...I need to go back to practicing for the event 21st on Maui...

Attachments:
KiteRacer 961.JPG
KiteRacer 961.JPG [ 223.75 KIB | Viewed 1115 times ]
KiteRacer 1018.JPG
KiteRacer 1018.JPG [ 159.45 KIB | Viewed 1115 times ]
KiteRacer 1012.JPG
KiteRacer 1012.JPG [ 325.53 KIB | Viewed 1115 times ]
KiteRacer 1007.JPG
KiteRacer 1007.JPG [ 235.86 KIB | Viewed 1115 times ]
KiteRacer 966.JPG
KiteRacer 966.JPG [ 245.79 KIB | Viewed 1115 times ]
File comment: Rounding the Buoy
KiteRacer 980.JPG
KiteRacer 980.JPG [ 247.75 KIB | Viewed 1115 times ]
File comment: Kite Race Secretariat
KiteRacer 899.JPG
KiteRacer 899.JPG [ 298.59 KIB | Viewed 1115 times ]
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Naish Kite Race. Kailua, Oahu. Fun in the Sun
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:57 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Excellent event! Big thanks to you, Tautologies, for being the driving force to get the whole thing going, gettting the real-live-official permit from the State (County, too?), and the one man advertising team that got at least 60 people or more down there!

Big Mahalos to Naish for sponsoring the event and making it a success. We had a registration desk, those kite-event vertical flags, a rescue boat, starter horns, megaphones, the whole thing! Like Taut said, the first real event in Kailua since back in the windsurfing daze 15 years ago or so.

Also thanks to the Maui kiters for coming to Kailua. Good to see you folks. You brought a good energy.

Look forward to another event f'sure. I liked the 3-division breakdown: directionals, twin tips, and race boards. Nice that Naish brought enough race boards for people to try. Next time there will be more race boards on the water. No doubt about it, they do go fast and can go upwind much steeper than your average board.

Excellent fun. Hope there will be another one

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:58 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeah really good to see how all the shops supported and showed positive interest. I think there will be more events formal or informal. When you try a raceboard it just opens up a whole new realm for riding. Watching good riders and getting tips from riders like Aguera and Amundson really adds to the experience.

...but best of all i think was how much fun everyone was having. Most of the pics I've seen so far have people with big smiles in them. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:29 am 
Rare Poster

Not many race boards to see on the water here in Norway. I'd love to try one though, but I'm not even sure if shops sell them here.

I'm sure it's about to change though. It sure looks and sounds fun!

How much does a race board cost? What size are they? I'd love to bring one to the Norwegian Championship in Stavanger when I return from Maui...

:P

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:37 am 
Very Frequent Poster

quote HelixFelix [How much does a race board cost? What size are they? I'd love to bring one to the Norwegian Championship in Stavanger when I return from Maui...]quote

The 2011 Cabrinha Racecollection boards are quads, 183 by 58.5 and 178 by 53.5 £999 in the UK

The 2011 North Race LTD is a quad, 180 by 59 and £1149 in the UK

The 2011 Monaro V2 is a quad, 181 by 60 & I've seen an Australian price quoted which equates roughly to £780 but haven't seen a UK price.

The 2011 Naish Venturi is a tri-fin & I've seen an Australian price quoted which equates roughly to £850 but haven't seen a UK price.

The Underground Race is 999 euros.

There are lots of custom makers who sell raceboards too.

Last edited by ronnie on Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

HelixFelix wrote:
Not many race boards to see on the water here in Norway. I'd love to try one though, but I'm not even sure if shops sell them here.

I'm sure it's about to change though. It sure looks and sounds fun!

How much does a race board cost? What size are they? I'd love to bring one to the Norwegian Championship in Stavanger when I return from Maui...

:P

Most prices are in the 1400-1100 range. I think the boards will suit Norwegian conditions really well.

Most boards are around 5'6'' to 6 feet. See if you can get a demo when you get to Maui. Do some research on how to ride them as they are very different from regular boards.

Check out the kiteracer forums for more info. :-)
viewforum.php?f=159

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Vancouver, Canada. rides Naish,Ozone,North, Spotz,Aguera
Be careful about buying a custom raceboard from a small board maker. I have seen several beautiful custom boards that unfortunately do not work very well (don't go fast or are difficult to ride). The big raceboard designers go through a lot of prototypes to get things right.

You can be confident that a lot of design effort went into boards from North, Cabrinha, Naish, NJS, Aguera.

Just my opinion.
:wink:
CG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

cglazier wrote:
Be careful about buying a custom raceboard from a small board maker. I have seen several beautiful custom boards that unfortunately do not work very well (don't go fast or are difficult to ride). The big raceboard designers go through a lot of prototypes to get things right.

You can be confident that a lot of design effort went into boards from North, Cabrinha, Naish, NJS, Aguera.

Just my opinion.
:wink:
CG

Personally I don't know too much about the smaller shapers part since I've only ridden a few boards now. Like anything else testing if you can is paramount. Also remember that different fins will completely change the way the board rides. I've tried the Naish board with many different fin options..which makes the board change completely. Having different fin options is probably as important as the board itself.

For me there are a few small things I would consider. Fins, and since I'm planning / hoping to use the board way way off shore (Island crossings, traversing and long down winders)...that is provides float in case I need that. Strap placement should be pretty good. Apart from that, I am not at a level where I can say much more intelligent about the boards...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
How are the race boards in open water with ocean swells?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:09 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Windrider wrote:
How are the race boards in open water with ocean swells?

Well..I don't know, but I will definitely find out. I tried the paddleability of the Naish board, and it is good. The thickness gives a lot of float, which is good for self rescue. Definitely a few long Islands downwinders coming up... :-)

Go test them out..I think you'll like them. :-)

[ 10 posts ]