All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Results:Naish Kite Race Kailua 7th of August.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:59 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Here are the official results from the Naish Course race in Kailua 7th of August.

As you can see form the pics, it was a perfect day for showing the qualities of the race boards..light winds, sunny and just a really nice day. Everyone were all smiles and stoked to be doing some good spirit competitive riding in the bay. A ton of people showed up participants, regulars, visitors and general beach visitors.

Official results from the Naish Course race in Kailua:
Attachment:
IMG_0465-1.jpg
IMG_0465-1.jpg [ 41.53 KIB | Viewed 761 times ]

Girls:
1st Raquel de Lima Cruz
2nd Karlie Thoma
3rd Natasha Gronski

Attachment:
File comment: Raceboard Winner Alex A.
IMG_0471.jpg
IMG_0471.jpg [ 40.48 KIB | Viewed 761 times ]

Course Board -
1st - Alex Aguera
2nd - Kai Lenny
3rd - John Amundson
4th - Josh Seymour
5th - Graham Botlz

Attachment:
oahu-guys-after-races.jpg
oahu-guys-after-races.jpg [ 179.72 KIB | Viewed 761 times ]

Surf -
1st - Mike Scott
2nd - Tony Groman
3rd - Monte Bell
4th - Samuel Perez
5th - Devin Moody

Attachment:
KiteRacer 899-1.jpg
KiteRacer 899-1.jpg [ 201.5 KIB | Viewed 761 times ]

Twintip -
1st - Michael James Smith
2nd - Samuel Perez
3rd - Davis McClure
4th - Devin Moody
5th - Kevin Wade

If you haven't tried course racing yet...I can highly recommend it. It really is so much fun. Super good group activity.
Next race in the Naish Race series is on Maui 21st of Aug.

Attachments:
File comment: Amundson
IMG_0441-1.jpg
IMG_0441-1.jpg [ 60.3 KIB | Viewed 761 times ]
pumping.jpg
pumping.jpg [ 204.68 KIB | Viewed 761 times ]
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Results:Naish Kite Race Kailua 7th of August.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:53 am 
Medium Poster

That kailua bay is a really nice place.

I was out in Honolulu two and half weeks ago from east coast of US for business and was able to score a session at Kailua Bay before heading home. I didn't have my gear with me just my harness and hooked up with Hawaiian Water sports for a three hour lesson. My instructor lucked out as we got to free ride together all afternoon.

Beautiful place! I think I scored more wind/swell then the race had. The inside section of the bay is somewhat flat and lined with white sandy beaches. The outside bay had some large rolling ocean swell and some breaking waves on the outer reefs. Nice for launching big air and some turn on the wave faces. Upwind is a flat island that provides a slick and some smooth breaking waves wrapping around it. Lots of big sea turtles everywhere.

I got to see a local with the 2011 Naish Bolt and it looked really sweet.

Again, a really nice place and want to go back. I always think of Maui when planning trips out there but really nice place on Oahu and want to go to the north shore next winter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:26 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Rolavi2 wrote:
That kailua bay is a really nice place.

I was out in Honolulu two and half weeks ago from east coast of US for business and was able to score a session at Kailua Bay before heading home. I didn't have my gear with me just my harness and hooked up with Hawaiian Water sports for a three hour lesson. My instructor lucked out as we got to free ride together all afternoon.

I got to see a local with the 2011 Naish Bolt and it looked really sweet.

Again, a really nice place and want to go back. I always think of Maui when planning trips out there but really nice place on Oahu and want to go to the north shore next winter.

Winter is not ideal kiting on the North Shore...the winds can be quite stormy and the tide is super low...but of course time it right and it might be epic...

Yeah the race didn't have a lot of wind, but it really shows how well those board work in light winds.

It really almost makes sitting on the beach completely redundant. As long as you do no drop your kite that is...

Attachments:
DSC_0096.jpg
DSC_0096.jpg [ 67.75 KIB | Viewed 701 times ]
DSC_0101.jpg
DSC_0101.jpg [ 73.84 KIB | Viewed 701 times ]
DSC_0105.jpg
DSC_0105.jpg [ 69.27 KIB | Viewed 701 times ]
DSC_0060.jpg
DSC_0060.jpg [ 42.1 KIB | Viewed 701 times ]
File comment: Proto's are out...
DSC_0030.jpg
DSC_0030.jpg [ 91.28 KIB | Viewed 701 times ]
DSC_0104.jpg
DSC_0104.jpg [ 96.08 KIB | Viewed 701 times ]
DSC_0018.jpg
DSC_0018.jpg [ 135.44 KIB | Viewed 701 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Taut,

You said "A ton of people showed up participants, regulars, visitors and general beach visitors. "

I am considering moving to Kailua, but I am worried by the following description of the beach on 'Kitebeaches.com' which states:

"Kailua is a bay which has a nice sandy beach that is enjoyed by many beach goers. The beach is lined by houses and often the beach is packed with people. Because of it's ideal design, many beginners come to Kailua. There have been many problems with kites in trees, yards, on people, etc. The Kailua Neighborhood Board is avidly trying to ban kiting at Kailua."

Is this beach where the races are held and if so, was there any "blow-back" from the homeowners?

Should I be worried about moving there and then, having no place to kite?

I've always appreciated your advice and comments in past threads.

Am I needlessly worried about this?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:44 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

tomatkins wrote:
Taut,

You said "A ton of people showed up participants, regulars, visitors and general beach visitors. "

I am considering moving to Kailua, but I am worried by the following description of the beach on 'Kitebeaches.com' which states:

"Kailua is a bay which has a nice sandy beach that is enjoyed by many beach goers. The beach is lined by houses and often the beach is packed with people. Because of it's ideal design, many beginners come to Kailua. There have been many problems with kites in trees, yards, on people, etc. The Kailua Neighborhood Board is avidly trying to ban kiting at Kailua."

Is this beach where the races are held and if so, was there any "blow-back" from the homeowners?

Should I be worried about moving there and then, having no place to kite?

I've always appreciated your advice and comments in past threads.

Am I needlessly worried about this?

No it is not needlessly worried because we do have to work on keeping access. We have not had any blowback, I think in part because the event went off without incident, in part because of how the Naish guys made it all work...and because it was sanctioned by the State and county. We had all the permits.

Now we do need people that are worried to be at the beach because that makes sure someone will tell visitors and others that step over the line politely where the line is. We need bodies that go to the meetings whenever things blow out of proportions. For now there are no problems. We have even gotten signage saying that in the wind zone kiters and windsurfers are allowed. We are working diligently with regulators in this, and although some people in the neighborhood board would like to see kiting banned there is still some way between them wanting it, and actual bans. Btw Some of the members also want to ban; hobie cats, kayak rentals, weddings, photography, any commercial activity in addition to putting restrictions pretty much anything that is fun.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:29 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hey, Thanks for the quick response. That is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Now if I can locate a Realtor who kiteboards...

[ 6 posts ]