Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ben Wilson announces his new Brand

Forum for kitesurfers
TheKiteLife
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Playa Copal, Costa Rica. Mancora, Peru. Maui, Hawaii. The Gorge. Miami, Florida. Heineken Beach, St.Croix, Paros, Greece, Cape Town, South Africa
Brand Affiliation: Gabes Kite Life, Transcend Kiteboard Apparel, Blade Kites, Royal Kites, The Kite Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ben Wilson announces his new Brand

Postby TheKiteLife » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:08 pm

No disrespect to Ben or any other pro rider developing his own "brand"...but instead of creating new brands, how about just buying one of the exisiting brands and making it yours.

Like Dimitri, why come out with Epic Kites, when its really just a slightly tweaked and relabeled Blade Kite? (Seriously, had my Blade kite and an Epic next to each other the other day...99% same exact kite) I am NOT criticizing Blade as they are a good brand (I fly them), but I am sure there are some struggling brands out there.

So upon closer look, will Ben's new kite REALLY be a new kite...or just a tweaked version of another brand? Hopefully Ben used his expertise to come up with some new technology or something TRULY revolutionary.

Just my humble opinon...
Last edited by TheKiteLife on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:11 am

TheKiteLife wrote:No disrespect to Ben or any other pro rider developing his own "brand"...but instead of creating new brands, how about just buying one of the exisiting brands and making it yours.

Like Dimitri, why come out with Epic Kites, when its really just a slightly tweaked and relabeled Blade Kite? (Seriously, had my Blade kite and an Epic next to each other the other day...99% same exact kite) I am not saying buy Blade as they are a good brand, but I am sure there are some struggling brands out there.
So upon closer look, will Ben's new kite REALLY be a new kite...or just a tweaked version of another brand? Hopefully Ben used his expertise to come up with some new technology or something TRULY revolutionary.

Just my humble opinon...
:thumb: Complitely agree. There are more new brands than true inovations these days. Claiming a kite is better ( newer) than a competitors without real explanation will only take you so far. Are there any bad kites on the market in 2010 ? It is all very subjectif.

Blade kites are as good as any, the main difference between Blade and Epic is heavy pimping on kiteforum. Imagine if all the other brands did the same thing...

dlangpap
Rare Poster

Postby dlangpap » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:32 pm

From the kite info. page: "A great wave kite that also performs in all other
disciplines." At this point, saying that a kite is for waves only would be a marketing suicide unless you are able to dominate a niche. I hope we eventually get there as in windsurfing (different wave sails for different conditions even). Until then, it would be great to hear some feedback on how it flies in side-onshore wind, the most challenging wind conditions for waveriding...

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby VOMKB » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:50 pm

Dirk,

Chequea tus PMs.

Jaime

jasevinda
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jasevinda » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Good luck with the brand Ben!

DanDanTheFlyingMan
Medium Poster

Postby DanDanTheFlyingMan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:26 am

windmaker wrote:
TheKiteLife wrote:No disrespect to Ben or any other pro rider developing his own "brand"...but instead of creating new brands, how about just buying one of the exisiting brands and making it yours.

Like Dimitri, why come out with Epic Kites, when its really just a slightly tweaked and relabeled Blade Kite? (Seriously, had my Blade kite and an Epic next to each other the other day...99% same exact kite) I am not saying buy Blade as they are a good brand, but I am sure there are some struggling brands out there.

Just my humble opinon...
:thumb: Complitely agree. There are more new brands than true inovations these days. Claiming a kite is better ( newer) than a competitors without real explanation will only take you so far. Are there any bad kites on the market in 2010 ? It is all very subjectif.

Blade kites are as good as any, the main difference between Blade and Epic is heavy pimping on kiteforum. Imagine if all the other brands did the same thing...
I think you mean Epic and Eclipse.

Anyway, back on topic. When will we see some close up shots of the kite, bridle, bar, QR, chicken loop, ect. ect.

It will be interesting how much slingshot design has been incorporated into Ben's kites.

toryfox
Rare Poster
Local Beach: orewa , nz
Favorite Beaches: sardinia
Style: free style
Gear: Ozone C4

Postby toryfox » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:50 am

Where are the kites being made(what factory)? I would hope you haven't gone down the route like most of the brands starting up these days made under the same roof in China all copying each others design.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Good Luck Ben

I've always liked you freeride spirit rather than the competition oriented image.

Back some of the wonderful female wave riders out there.
Despite being 225lbs 6'4" and on the road to being an old fart I have learned quite a bit from
watching women in the waves. While they don't have the brute force of some of the men their riding shows technique, style and stratergy.

Ben your videos are eye openers too.

Return to “Kitesurfing”