Most Slack?

Forum for kitesurfers
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Most Slack?

Postby avatar » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Hi, a lot of C-kites have two options to attach the frontlines.
the wakestyle setting is the one with less depower and sits a little bit further back.
the freeride setting is the first one right at the kink of the tube.

So which setting gives the most slack after popping with your kite low?
I myself am not shure because conditions and my riding is quite inconsistent.
on off wind and long breaks between kiting days
but i am curios

Dr_Rosen
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Most Slack?

Postby Dr_Rosen » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:13 pm

I attach myself to this thread. Curious as well.
Hadlows get a lot of slack and the are way backwards tending to stall.
C4s are as i understand it pretty far forward - but the times i tried them them got a lot of slack. Some say they are to forward for freestyle - but why?
I have a Vegas 09 - doesn't give me much slack compared to the two above

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:17 pm

as far as changing the attachments go, it doesn't necessarily change the kites inherent aerodynamic limits so much as it changes your backline tension and how much the kite depowers in the range of your bar throw.

Ideally, a good wakestyle kite will actually have quite a bit of drag (this will translate to pop) and sit in the middle of the window. What you then want is a kite that will slack either after you've completed your pop, this then requires a kite that will shoot to the edge of the window after you are at the peak of your pop. Having drag and a grunty kite that sits in the middle of the window to create loads of pop, while being able to slack the kite are two seemingly opposing attributes. This is not something easy to design and often requires a rider to change his style.

The attachment points only change this so that the kite tends to hold more backline tension (thus creating more drag and sitting deeper in the center of the window). Realistically, you could ride with a little bit more slack, to get your slack but you'd sacrifice a ton of pop. What I find on most bow kites is that you end up sacrificing too much pop and makes tricks seemingly impossible.

Keep in mind that the pop vs. slack and the trim of your kite is obviously dependent upon the wind conditions as well.

reinis
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: CF, TK, OR, FS, o`neill

Postby reinis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:26 pm

wakestyle - less slack after pop
freestyle - more slack after pop

some time ago it was "power" instead of "wakestyle" and "depower" instead of "freestyle". fast boards tend to work with faster kites (freestyle setup) whilst slow boards (the ones with rocker) will work better with slower kites (wakestyle setup). but the slack mostly depends on the quality of your pop IMO.

adamrod
Frequent Poster

Postby adamrod » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:38 pm

i think the front-most setting gives you more slack (i.e. freestyle, not wakestyle) but i'm not 100% on this. it might not matter

Rare Poster

Postby avatar » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:55 pm

Ok, thanks will stick with the front attachment for now.
i like the grunt of the other setting more, but now it'S two reasons for the foremost frontline attachment.
little more depower and maybe more slack

skyte
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: FLEXIFOIL

Postby skyte » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:30 pm

Getting slack after you pop is not just about the front attachment points...

The front attachment points change how far forward the kite will fly in the window... the rear-most attachments will stop the kite flying as far forward and keep it more powered which should give more pop.

I think its about how much pop you get from the kite... the Hadlow kites give more relentless pull than any other kite and I think when you pop against this kite you get launched towards it, which causes the slack.

To see how the kite is going to pop, edge hard and watch whether the kite moves forward or not. If you compare a PROTON, ION and HADLOW, the Proton will edge forward quite a bit, the ION moves a little bit and the HADLOW doesn't move forward!

Rare Poster

Postby avatar » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:45 pm

skyte wrote:....
the Hadlow kites give more relentless pull than any other kite and I think when you pop against this kite you get launched towards it, which causes the slack...
this thought is very different but might be the actual reason.
because all the theories with flying to the edge of the window and than drifts back would mean the high aspect ratio bow kites would be the best for slack. but they surely not

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:58 am

skyte wrote:....
the Hadlow kites give more relentless pull than any other kite and I think when you pop against this kite you get launched towards it, which causes the slack...
this thought is very different but might be the actual reason.
because all the theories with flying to the edge of the window and than drifts back would mean the high aspect ratio bow kites would be the best for slack. but they surely not
Exactly more pop = more slack. Front line further back = wakestyle = more pop = more slack.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:22 am

avatar wrote:Hi, a lot of C-kites have two options to attach the frontlines.
Do you mean where you attach the pigtails to the kite or where you attach the lines to the pigtails?

On my kite, both the back line and front line pigtails have two attachment points on the kite but I always thought they only affected the kites turning speed. I'm not sure though.

My front line pigtails only have one knot to attach the lines to.
My back line pigtails have several knots which means I can get more or less power out of the kite depending on which knot I connect the back line to. I'm pretty sure about that

Sorry I couldn't come up with something better.

Return to “Kitesurfing”