All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: strapped / strapless - Yes there is a Compromise
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:05 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi everybody
I think I found the perfect compromise between strapped and strapless, I mean for me not for everyone, at least I didn't yet stumble on any inconvenient.
I just wonder why aren't more people doing this.

I'm 5'6 and front foot straps are always too much to the front of the board when on the wave. When just going, the back foot is out and in front of the back strap but when you drop in the wave and put the back foot in my legs are too spread and the front foot isn't anything near to the sweet spot ( even in the most backward position ).
Strapless is ok but the disadvantages are easy to recognize and I don't want go into that...

I tried several options and ended with this:
LONG FRONT STRAP! - the best of both words.

regards António

photos next post, check the drawing:

Attachments:
longfrontstrap.jpg
longfrontstrap.jpg [ 110.85 KIB | Viewed 2054 times ]

Last edited by olinozanussi on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: strapped / straples Yes there is a Compromise
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:28 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

looks interesting! Let's see what wave experts say about this...Felix, Top Hat, etc?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:14 pm 
Frequent Poster

I don't have enough LIKEs :thumb: to say I'm a wave expert, but I used this for a while now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:26 pm 
Frequent Poster

what are the disadvantages of riding a surfboard strapless?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:31 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I used a wind surfing strap as my front strap on a surfboard when I first started for the same reason( longer). It did work better for me however, one time my whole foot when all the way through the strap and ended up around my ankle. No big deal at time but could have been dangerous. I also tried those Kling-ons by NSI. My conclusions was that any thing on the deck just gets in the way when I'm surfing. I know this is not what you want to hear but, loose the straps and you will always have the freedom you desire on the wave. It's also less dangerous in critical situations and less jarring on the knees. I really can't think of any advantages for straps when it comes to surfing the wave.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:57 pm 
Medium Poster

iblocalsurfer wrote:
I used a wind surfing strap as my front strap on a surfboard when I first started for the same reason( longer). It did work better for me however, one time my whole foot when all the way through the strap and ended up around my ankle. No big deal at time but could have been dangerous. I also tried those Kling-ons by NSI. My conclusions was that any thing on the deck just gets in the way when I'm surfing. I know this is not what you want to hear but, loose the straps and you will always have the freedom you desire on the wave and less dangerous in critical situations. There is also less jarring on the knees.

Thanks for your comment
well ... kiting is dangerous, will anybody remove the board's fins for safety reasons?
my foot doesn't fit through anyway. the strap is stiff horizontally there is a carbon spar inside to stiffen it.

crash&burn wrote:
what are the disadvantages of riding a surfboard strapless?

I don't usually kite in a perfect point break, some times I need to jump over waves to go out...
I also like to back roll etc.... but I wouldn't want to go into a strapped /strapless battle....

jaystore wrote:
I don't have enough LIKEs :thumb: to say I'm a wave expert, but I used this for a while now.

yes i had already seen this on the forum it might bee also a solution if it stays simple, at least you will have all the deck to put straps on, ( i had to put stick-on inserts on mine )
but i might use mine fixed...

Attachments:
IMGP1915kf.jpg
IMGP1915kf.jpg [ 287.36 KIB | Viewed 1927 times ]
IMGP1915.jpg
IMGP1915.jpg [ 312.82 KIB | Viewed 1927 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:10 pm 
Medium Poster

I forgot to mention that in the cruising mode of the long front strap board ( in the drawing ) the front foot is in the most forward position, for better upwind and control. ( if you stayed always in the wave mode the nose might fly around too much )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:26 pm 
Frequent Poster

sad, its obvious that you are looking to ditch the restrictions that straps create, so ditch them, alter your riding ( go around wave instead of over if it is that critical) if you must do a backroll to be happy go get your twin tip.

there is no compromise, what your idea of the elongated strap is a liability both in performance and safety.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:51 pm 
Medium Poster

crash&burn wrote:
sad, its obvious that you are looking to ditch the restrictions that straps create, so ditch them, alter your riding ( go around wave instead of over if it is that critical) if you must do a backroll to be happy go get your twin tip.

there is no compromise, what your idea of the elongated strap is a liability both in performance and safety.

crash&burn - your name says it all !

1 - there are NO restrictions what so ever. ( point them then )
( maybe the only one is doing a shuvit... but i'm not into skateboarding moves.... )

2 - it's impossible to go around a 100m long close-out, and even if it was 20 m i don't like to waist time.
( I have a limited time to go kitting, and if straps help getting more waves, the straps it is )

3 - freedom is doing a backroll if you want without having to go to your car or the beach to get the TT.

4 - liability? hardly in performance. SAFETY - try to go finless then...
( or maybe you already kite with no lines and a finless boogie board )
( oh man one day we'll kite with no lines! only a playstation type thing on your hands and soft comfy thing underneath )

5 - i can still go strapless when i want, if I want....

I can imagine big companies not wanting compromise solutions because they mean they will sell one board instead of two. " - oh, I really like the stance on my 5'4 to bad it doesn't go upwind as god as the 5'8... "

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:02 pm 
Medium Poster

Not a bad compromise, but that is exactly what it is... a compromise, there is only one way to have complete freedom.

[ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next