Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Another serious head injury accident last week

Forum for kitesurfers
Andres_Santacruz
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All Mexico: Laguna de Tecocomulco, Hidalgo. Acapulco, Guerrero. Boca del Rio, Veracruz.
Favorite Beaches: Progreso, Yucatan. El Revolcadero, Acapulco, Guerrero. La Ventana, Baja California Sur, Mexico. Ilho do Guajiru, Ceara, Brazil.
Style: Big Air and waves and freestyle.
Gear: Ozone Kites: Reo V3 8m, Edge V9 8m, C4 2015 10m, Edge V9 13m, Chrono V3 15m, Ozone Zephyr V5 17m. Core XR5 10m.
Boards: Fone Acid 132 2016, ASP NZ Stealth Custom 135, Axis Limited 140 2018, Axis Ultra 144 2015,Axis New Wave 5'8" Surf, Fone Mitu 5'4 2017 Surf, Camet Custom 139 Foilboard and Alpine Foil Access V3 Foil, Naish Alaia Strapless
Brand Affiliation: I sell Ozone,Core,Slingshot,Naish,F-ONE,Crazy Fly,Axis,Mystic,Manera,Pro-Limit & Dakine.
Has thanked: 0

Re: Another serious head injury accident last week

Postby Andres_Santacruz » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:20 pm

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:24 pm

snobdr wrote:Its always a good idea to wear a helmet.
.... And just because you have a helmet on dosent mean your going to survive when the shit hits the fan.....
On one hand you say the helmet a good idea, on the other you say you won't necessarily survive; so what's the message?

The helmet doesn't free you from common sense. Both are advisable.

Long time ago, the advice to motorcyclists you could read on panels bordering the Swiss roads:
"Intelligent heads protect themselves".

Having said that, I confess I don't wear a helmet myself. A calculated risk.

Rule of thumb.
You want to show off near hard obstacles: wear a helmet.
You are are exempted if you are riding far from the shore, and are able to read the approaching squall to return in time accordingly.

kiteingcolin1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: ainsdale/westkirby/anglesey
Favorite Beaches: rosnigher
Style: old style
Gear: nobile 666,132 and 135, 2008

E.H.RIPPEHR, NEMI HP
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiteingcolin1 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:34 pm

over 10 years riding, I wear a helmet when there are rocks or its very windy ,or when I feel off form,
the helmet saved me once from a head impact against a wall, broke other bits and was black and blue, and i have landed badly on the sand from miss judged jumps with to much drift, and had me head snapped back on the sand, ouch!

and the other point is they are so warm in winter, mines a snowboard helmet, lasts around 2-3 years.

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all

Postby scklandl » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:53 pm

I dont want to be a dick here, but I will to be brief...

Flyrob says this buy isnt a KOOK... but hes clearly a KOOK

Only a KOOK launches a kite with a incoming thunderstorm with wackass winds.
Not Knowing you're local weather patterns and systems makes you a kook, no matter how skilled with a board.

This accident has nothing to do with helmets saving the day, people need to be called out and people aren't calling it for what it was. Helmets, safety equipment, better reflexes, different launch techniques. He made one mistake, he went to the beach at that time on that day to ride. period.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:02 pm

Andres_Santacruz wrote:You guys should watch this:

http://www.ted.com/talks/kim_gorgens_pr ... ssion.html
Appalling delivery; quite unique in TED Talks. Gave me a headache. Had enough of it half way through.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:02 pm

If you are going to wear a helmet, like seatbelts, it is best not to try to pick and choose when you wear it. Fate usually doesn't give a program of events in advance. There are kiters walking around today, less injured than they might otherwise have been for use of a lid. There are also some likely still alive because they chose to wear a helmet on a given day when there were no real threats in sight. I chose to wear a helmet when I normally would not, that choice made a huge difference for me. More about that at: viewtopic.php?f=131&t=2367875

Sand can mess you up or even kill you as rocks can. It is how you hit that counts and no one knows that in advance. Then there is always your board even without a board leash.

A helmet and impact vest are no substitute for using good common sense, nor do they extend a blanket immunity against harm. Some impacts are simply too hard to avoid injury or even allow survival. Again you never know in advance how you will strike to be able to make productive choices. Just wear good ones for kiting and forget about it. Most forget the stuff is on in minutes. They might make a critical difference for you someday.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:17 am

I body-dragged head first into my board once when I thought it was further away than it was ... could have been bad but still hurt like a bastard. That's when I thought I really should be wearing a helmet ...

JerseyPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandy Hook to Kite Island
Style: powered
Brand Affiliation: consumer
Been thanked: 0

Postby JerseyPride » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:38 pm

scklandl wrote:I dont want to be a dick here, but I will to be brief...

Flyrob says this buy isnt a KOOK... but hes clearly a KOOK

Only a KOOK launches a kite with a incoming thunderstorm with wackass winds.
Not Knowing you're local weather patterns and systems makes you a kook, no matter how skilled with a board.

This accident has nothing to do with helmets saving the day, people need to be called out and people aren't calling it for what it was. Helmets, safety equipment, better reflexes, different launch techniques. He made one mistake, he went to the beach at that time on that day to ride. period.

well put

snobdr
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Atlantic City
Been thanked: 0

Postby snobdr » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:37 pm

Yea couldnt have said it any better

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:27 pm

Yes the common theme to these injury threads is this.

The kiter lost control in a gust/squall and had recieved a serious head injury that could have been minimised by wearing a helmet.

My question to the kiting instructors amongst us is this.

Do you teach wind patterns, squall identification and management in your sessions?
Do you recommend helmets to your students?

I didn't go through a kite school programme as i static flew then landboarded to an expert level for years before i started kitesurfing. so my progression into the sport was somewhat different to standard.

The fact that the wind speed can double when a squall comes through will be unknown to most (non-kiters) would be up and coming kiters will only discover this when they experience it first hand.

Return to “Kitesurfing”