Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Mancora advice: fly into ecuador or lima/airline experience?

forum for kitesurfers

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby VOMKB » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:18 pm

Give your dates, and will check. Lan does not have local or foreigner rates. You pay what the website says, although local promotions can exist and be cheaper.

My only affiliation is with Liquid Force and Caution. My company is the first distributor of kitesurfing in Ecuador, which I started doing in 1999. In fact I introduced the first Wipika kites oi Mancora back in 2001 with Wawa Paraud, who is one of Peru's awesome surfers. David is a welcomed new comer to the market.

Jaime

Lost
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 3
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Mancora advice: fly into ecuador or lima/airline experie

Postby Lost » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:50 pm

If you fly into Lima and decide to go Lan buy from the peruvian site of Lan. You dont get the Lan rate for peruvian residents but you still get the tickets around 100 usd cheaper.

We flew into Tumbes instead of Piura and that was also cheaper. From there we got an hour and half drive to Mancora.

VOMKB
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force

Postby VOMKB » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:09 pm

I just tried again, using the Peruvian site as before, and got a round trip ticket to Piura for 78.54 USD traveling on Oct 14 and returning on the 28. The rates have changed 3 times already. If you cannot find the prices, email me the dates, and will work that on my end to get a reservation number.

Jaime

maigueri
Rare Poster

Postby maigueri » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:37 pm

you can go with via gye or Lima, but if it´s the same price choose lima (and if possible fron then tumbes instead of piura).

But i´msure you´ll neverforget mancora...AWESOME PLACE.

If you are looking not just for a cheap place check casa mediterraneo good quality-price and first line of beach (not so loky)

Just one advice don´t stay in the place sited just "in the center" like lok.las olas, pink parrot, You will know why if you go :lol:

enjoy your tryp!!

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm getting help from Jose at Peru Kite and will spend two days in Paracas.

Just booked my tickets to Lima and so stoked. Tickets on trip advisor are now $497 to lima and $614 to peru. Jose checked flights over there and it was $200-250 cheaper than booking over here...

Thanks to EVERYBODY for your advice and help. Will be blogging on The Kiteboarder and our facebook page Oct 21-Nov 1 or so....

STOKED!!!!

Shmed
Rare Poster

Postby Shmed » Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:54 am

Another person to try is Ruben Palamino, he's a straight-up Cuzco based travel agent, but he was super helpful and help us find must cheaper flights to and from Tumbes/Piura and Cuzco when we went a few years ago.

inkapal@hotmail.com

If you are staying in Mancora, I highly recommend Las Olas, great rooms and location. In Paracas, Isabel Coehlo is really sweet and it's fun staying at her modest hostel. (bird002@hotmail.com)

You will love Peru!!

everest500
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2

Postby everest500 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:26 pm

LAM to Lima and then Piuria is the best way!!!

maigueri
Rare Poster

Postby maigueri » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:38 pm

1.- Using the peruvian site there is an inconvenient, it´s indicated that if you arenot resident in peru u´ll be charged in 150$

2.- ¿Holtel Las Olas? NO WAY. Scape fron the right center town really noisy and poor quality-price

3.- If u have to choose an airport is better Tumbes than Piura(one hour less in car) but there are less flights to/from there.

ENJOY IT!!!

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 am

Ended up getting flight to/from Piura as more options to choose from. Didn't really want to hang in Lima as want as much time as possible for surf/kite waves on north coast... Interested in what jose has to show us in/around Paracas area and have the expertise of Skip while in the mancora/the north.

Tumbes is supposed to be more scenic beach route while piura goes through desert so we shall see. A friend did the GYE route and got picked up by Skip (group of five) so will be comparing routes/ease/hassle and giving personal expeerience of pros/cons of each. We shall see if we get screwed on the ticket. i hope not as I will for sure write that up too

littlekitegirl
Medium Poster

Postby littlekitegirl » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:59 am

This is an interesting post, as I've been looking for a lot of the same answers recently as well!

We're heading to Mancora in just a couple of weeks, and will be traveling down from Guayaquil. I've done a ton of research into this, but its still really hard to figure out when (and which buses) leave. I do know there are two main companies that do this route: CIFA and Ormeño.... Orrmeno is supposedly the best and safest, but one source tells me it only goes 2x a week, another (a hotel owner) tells me it leaves at 11:30am daily. I hear its more expensive, but that's a minor concern.

There are local buses as well, but have read to avoid them at all costs.

I also know its possible to take a taxi (for around $150, but this can be even more risky than the bus) and have even bigger issues crossing the border.

We'll be doing this route with our kite gear, so wish us luck.. we are well traveled, but I still expect this to be a big challenge... if anybody has more solid information on this, let us know. I know one poster suggested to take the night bus, but I've also read that's also not recommended.

any more advice and tips are highly appreciated!

Return to “Kitesurfing”