CaptainArgh wrote:Ooooh, these posts are fun! The arena is built, the lines are up and KR is throwing the two heavy weights in the ring to fight it out!
This season I'm enjoying the Rallys. I find you have to pry the RPMs out of owners hands. They don't seem to want to leave them for another kite...or let you use theirs. Only criticism I've heard from people who have left the RPM is it has a narrower wind range. I don't know if that's true, just what I've heard. There are Rally threads on here discussing it's performance- have a look at those and the 2011 SS Thread.
Also, you didn't say if you are getting a new kite or looking to changeover your quiver? If you just want to add a kite, I'd stick with the same brand/model. It is easier to jump from kite to kite as conditions change if they behave similarly. Also easier to interchange bars and other parts as needed.
To true! Sometimes think its an almost "cult following" the RPM's have.. I LOVE MINE!
Keep in mind where talking 2009 Cab and SS however I do have the 2010 12m SS RPM
• It’s not a grunty low end kite (it’s made not to be that) no c kite is
• Constant smooth power delivery for a guy that has just unhooked that it has
• Slack for sure
• RMP Hi jumping kite with hang time no. the 12 has a good float in 16-20kns you can get them up there
• Easy to loop, for sure with constant power delivery
• I also think it’s a great wave kite (might not be the best) but parks and floats back with no issue
• Construction I would have to say SS is better then the other brand
• I have the 2009 SB and after one year of use it looks like a 2002 and has a hole from filler tube rubbing
• SS bar is great in a class of its own especially the 2010 bar on my 12m , I’m not to fussed about the under bar depower I like it above.
• 2009 SS under bar depower is a pain
• If I buy another kite depower will be above bar
• I have a buddy that rides a 2009 RPM 12m @ 100kg that took it up to I’m thinking 30kns so wind range it has. But that being said my SS 10m goes crazy in turbulent wind
• RPM’s in my experience do not handle turbulent wind well (only 3 struts) I’m guessing the Rally will be the same. Not happy with this as the wind here is quite turbulent
• Light bar fell and bar feel overall is hard to beat with a SS
• I don’t like the heavy bar on the cab
• The wing material in the 2009 SB wears or ages really fast it seems
• RPM water launches easier then the Cab (as strange as this is for a “c” kite)
• I’ve had not bar issues with either
• Cab being a bow has better low end
• Love the SS bag!
• After looping the kite let go of the bar and the SS instantly unwraps the Cab does not you have to flip the bar to start the unwrap
• The RPM has a great wind range for an open C
All in all if you’re into unhooking tricks and some wave riding the RPM is good in clean air. If you’re into high jumps and hang time (old school) look else where. If you want a bit of both there are some really nice hybrids out there now covering both really well.
I’m looking to by a North rebel 14m for old school tricks and light wind, The SB is being sold and you’ll have to kill me and take the 12m RMP from my cold hands. I’m not sold on the Rally I would have to ride one here but I’m guessing it would not handle the wind well here (three struts). I’ve been on the RRD obsession and a few other hybrids and was quite impressed. I have not found the “right”10m yet but I was really impressed with the some of the hybrids. I would love to try the Air rush vapor X and a few others. I also here really good things about Ozone C4 if you looking at C’s. However if I was going to buy a pure c kite it would be the Fuel (10y of refinement what could be wrong). I do love to fly the RPM 12m kite for a 12m kite it moves well has a good range and unhooks great with nice jumps and nice float. I think the 12m Rpm is faster the 2009 cab 10m SB. Bow kites are not the fastest turners lets face it. But they pull like a truck. With all designs it’s a trade off (Bow, C and Delta)
Cab did improve the SB in 2010 30% faster and looks a little lighter then 2009 keep that in mind
oh one other thing the 10RPM is a great kite too but where I'm at in 20kn the wind gets crazy so I need something that can take the heat! I had the 10m in North Brazil and it rocked (smooth air)!