Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

"Fast twintip"

forum for kitesurfers


philmb
Medium Poster
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:56 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: brighton beach, Pinnaroo point.
Style: All
Gear: RPM, RALLY, NOBILE NHP
Brand Affiliation: None

"Fast twintip"

Postby philmb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:44 am

Hi all.

I'm riding a 131 2010 Nobile NHP. Its great when powerd a bit. But thinking of getting a new board. For no other reason than i like buying sht.. Looking for something "faster". I love my NHP, but dosnt seem as fast as some other boards.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks.

User avatar
Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3753
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:56 am
Kiting since: 2004
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)
Contact:

Re: "Fast twintip"

Postby Windrider » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:19 am

That's like an oxymoron, man..... "Fast Twintip" yeah.... right.... Trouble with twintips is you can't release the parking brake!!! They get stuck in first gear! It twiptips were fast, they'd be used as race boards. They're the foils of kiteboards!

trolling, trolling, trolling
keep them lines a'trolling....

:argue:

My Liquid Force Drop Ltd 138 seems pretty fast.... not as fast as my Cabrinha TowSurf 6'1" directional.... but, for a twin tip, it seems fast...
:rollgrin:

mdmaui
Medium Poster
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:46 am
Kiting since: 5
Local Beach: Maui
Style: freeride
Gear: Globe
Brand Affiliation: Globe

Re: "Fast twintip"

Postby mdmaui » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:06 am

Jimmy Lewis

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1880
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Kiting since: 0
Style: Fast, anti lawnmower.
Gear: Wipika Freeair 8.5 2 liner and Picklefork.
Brand Affiliation: iansmusic.com - free music for your kite videos

Re: "Fast twintip"

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:14 am

something narrower for less wetted area
a bit of length for stability - especially if you want to go fast in chop
small rocker

131 37.5 - something like that.. totally not the current fashion lol

race boards have tonnes of drag and suck reach/run downwind but rocket upwind, mind u so would a twintip with fins that big

adrood
Medium Poster
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 am
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Evros Greece
Style: Freeride Wave
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m kite and Core Riot XR 8m , Ocean rodeo rise 10m
F-one Fifty Pro, Ocean rodeo mako wide 40 , north freestyle fish
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: "Fast twintip"

Postby adrood » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 am

ocean rodeo mako is fast also. Of course no TT will ever match the directional's speed. But if you compare TT then mako is the faster board i ever had (i compare the upwind speed always between the boards)

blacktip
Frequent Poster
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:51 pm

Re: "Fast twintip"

Postby blacktip » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:50 am

why didnt you choose a bigger size? Or were you unaware that it got more rocker, thus needing more power?

Bigger board eliminates the efficiency loss from the rocker, but it keeps the comfortable ride in chop waves etc. Also landings will get better, more stable.
I rode the nhp 2010 a few times. Dont know how fast you want to go, but the board is not slow by any means. 134 isnt big at all.

Ride bigger rocker boards myself. Yes you need a little more power (2knots), but once you have power its so much nicer to ride.
Just my opinion.

philmb
Medium Poster
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:56 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: brighton beach, Pinnaroo point.
Style: All
Gear: RPM, RALLY, NOBILE NHP
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: "Fast twintip"

Postby philmb » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:46 pm

Dont get me wrong, i love my nhp. Love the size i got to.. I'm not heavy.. Cant really fault it to be honest.

Just thinkin of getting something a bit different to complement it. Just like having options.. Thats why i got a quiver of "rpm's" and "rally's" and didnt just get all the same kite..

Also looking the the mako king, seems to get a lot of love around here..

User avatar
Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:45 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: "Fast twintip"

Postby Clarencephil » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:15 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:something narrower for less wetted area
a bit of length for stability - especially if you want to go fast in chop
small rocker

131 37.5 - something like that.. totally not the current fashion lol

race boards have tonnes of drag and suck reach/run downwind but rocket upwind, mind u so would a twintip with fins that big



Doesn't the Mako have way too much rocker to be fast ?

tonyh
Medium Poster
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:02 pm

Re: "Fast twintip"

Postby tonyh » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm

philmb wrote:Dont get me wrong, i love my nhp. Love the size i got to.. I'm not heavy.. Cant really fault it to be honest.

Just thinkin of getting something a bit different to complement it. Just like having options.. Thats why i got a quiver of "rpm's" and "rally's" and didnt just get all the same kite..

Also looking the the mako king, seems to get a lot of love around here..

Like you I love my NHP but fancied a change having owned two others.
If you can, try the Liquid Force Kaos, I have the NHP 134 2009, and ordered a 133 Kaos this year.
Its a fast board (as far as twin tips go) I actually ended up with a 139 Kaos... long story...and was surprised that it didn't feel as big as it looks, it came with small fins so is nice n skatey (compared to the grip of the NHP) it's also very smooth in the chop and goes up wind as well as the NHP, and is easy on the knees too. I'm on the older end of the scale so this is important to me.
I had planned to sell the one I least preferred( I only bought the NHP Nov 09 ) but still have both.

I'm 73 kg, 160lbs to the imperialists out there!

adrood
Medium Poster
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon May 17, 2010 11:01 am
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Evros Greece
Style: Freeride Wave
Gear: Ozone Zephyr 17m kite and Core Riot XR 8m , Ocean rodeo rise 10m
F-one Fifty Pro, Ocean rodeo mako wide 40 , north freestyle fish
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: "Fast twintip"

Postby adrood » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:50 pm

Clarencephil wrote:
longwhitecloud wrote:something narrower for less wetted area
a bit of length for stability - especially if you want to go fast in chop
small rocker

131 37.5 - something like that.. totally not the current fashion lol

race boards have tonnes of drag and suck reach/run downwind but rocket upwind, mind u so would a twintip with fins that big



Doesn't the Mako have way too much rocker to be fast ?


it has but the board also have more length . The total surface on water will be more plus the same kite size will have more power delivered to the rider. You can only compare the mako king with large TT made for freestyle - rookie or heavier riders like the F-one Fifty pro . And again on flat water the f-one will be faster , if chop on water it wont.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, SLiiCK, Yahoo [Bot] and 16 guests