Dog attacks Kitesurfer

forum for kitesurfers

Safe_Cracker
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Dog attacks Kitesurfer

Postby Safe_Cracker » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:54 am

I am a dog lover and have been mauled as a child (great dane, both arms). I don't blame the animal as it was my fault for wandering into my friends yard unannounced. Now I have no fear of dogs as I do in home deliveries but there is always that one crazy ass dog that bites you anyways. My responce was for that one dog that cannot be dealt with and if it is going to bite me, self preservation is going to kick in, sorry. I don't ever blame the animal as it isn't their fault they are in that situation BUT the owners. As much as I would like to crack the owner one for letting it happen, that is illegal unless that person attacks first, then it's on :jump: . Any dog that comes up and tries to bite me obviously has no fear of humans and could have easily bitten a child. I will be the first to whisper some obedience into its ear :naughty:

Polo..

BTW- This is Sexy Rexy, he's my baby! My wife says he is my third son :thumb:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:59 am

We have a guy that leaves his two big dogs roaming. They aren't aggressive, but they really run up to people. I've seen them jump on people, and I I've told the owner to mind his dogs..after they really scared this girl with a small dog. Others have seen them run after another poor girl that was afraid, and she ended up jumping on top of her car crying. Clearly some dog owners have no sensitivity to the fact that some people might be afraid.

I love dogs. I hate inconsiderate dog owners that leave other people to mind the dogs...some (*most) dogs deals with kites fine, and simply go about their own business...but if you have a dog that runs up and jump up on people...or become really close if someone has food or whatever it may be, you really have to not leave the dog running around on the beach when you get your kiting fill in. The dog owner in this case, yelled at the dogs, but left them roaming. He should fully well know that the dogs will be up to the same shit when he is out in the waves.

mobettah
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: FB
Favorite Beaches: Cape Haterras
Style: Go Big!
Gear: Naish Boxer II's - C kites baby!

Postby mobettah » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:03 am

A few things come to mind when I read what happened to you.

First of as a dog owner, agree totally with everyone that owners should always maintain control of their dogs.

It is hard to know exactly what the dog was thinking when it rushed you. Depending on the breed, it could have being "retrieving" you if it was some sort of retriever or protecting its owner if it was one of the many breeds that have that instinct. It may have even wanted to play with you. Yes even though it bared its teeth at you. Were the ears on the dog flatten back along its head? was it growling?

Most likely when you turned around and headed away from it, the dog's prey instinct kicked in - possibly causing the bitten board.

I think that what you did was probably the best course - stay away from the dog.

Dogs do not think like humans. As a person that is afraid of dogs, it would be good for you to read up a bit on how dogs socialize and interact. This would help you to understand how better to interact with dogs. It could help in reducing any future negative interactions with dogs

A good example of the difference between human and doggy interactions is the difference in meaning between what eye contact between humans and dogs means. For me to look at another human and make eye contact, this is being polite, showing that I'm interested in what the person is saying. In doggy language, direct eye contact is a challenge. Between dogs this can escalate very quickly into a fight if you have two dominant dogs.

That's why when approaching a dog, it is best to observer the dog using your peripheral vision and not face the dog directly but stand with your side facing the dog.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Foil and 1strut kites.

Postby jakemoore » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:07 am

Ha Ha Ha. Frenchies make me laugh so hard. My last dog was a yellow lab who thought he was a pointer. What a great dog he was.

But yeah, dogs understand being kicked. I love a cocker spaniel who jumps. Perfect chance to teach my kids how to deal with a poorly trained dog.

Jake

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1812
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:17 am

@ Angel, you're a pussy who knows nothing about animals.
You are, no doubt, male and young, so much violence in you still.
Humans can be innocent or not innocent, all animals are innocent, look it up.
Go ahead and try to kick the crap out a dog who is out of control, not gonna happen tough guy, just in your fearful dreams.
@ Jake-- This conversation is not about children/babies so please don't turn it into one. Children and babies should be under your control when around dogs. Dogs should be under their masters control at all times, especially around small, noisy, unpredictable people who are the size of prey. That is just common sense.
The 67% figure you quoted/provided (repeated) is incorrect.... sorry but you are just repeating an incorrect statistic, no possible way to accurately report the statistic you are quoting. The CDC has admitted that their own statistics for the last 20 years are crap. People can (and do) often see 20 different breeds as one, so your numbers have no basis. That has a lot to do with media conditioning and a lumping of dog "types" labeled incorrectly for thirty years on TV, and in print media. Until you blood test a dog, you don't really know what breed of dog it is, random "eyewitness" statements are useless. I can give you a visual test and you will fail it all day long. You will look at ten pictures of a "Black Lab" and not one dog in the group is a Black Labrador Retriever dog. I can show you a pretty well known group of pictures (a chart) showing twenty eight "Pitbulls".....only one of the dogs turns out to be an American Pit Bull Terrier. You would not believe the range of dog breeds represented in this group of pictures. As for what dog breeds deserve to die and what innocent breeds should be saved, please go check ATTS dog temperment tests and tell me what dog breeds are stable and what dog breeds are not. Then please go check up on what happened to those "vicious" Pitbull fighting dogs that were rescued from that pig Michael Vick. They are now loving pets in nice homes with small children and cats and small doggie room mates, it's been years and these dogs have "turned" on who,...not a soul! Please don't keep passing on statistics that are not real. I appreciate your experience with dog bite victims and I'm glad that you still have love for the animals. I appreciate that.
I am an avid advocate of responsible dog ownership, I can't stand ignorant idiots who do not raise or control their animals properly, it causes a lot of heartache for responsible dog owners and pain/suffering/death for too many dogs, but blaming the animals is just stupid. The group I work with here in Austin was founded to promote responsible dog ownership and education, and to provide free training opportunities. The organization works every day to help dogs in need as well. And you scared little boys who are acting tough are not fooling anybody. I am a Pit Bull advocate and I've spent more time with dogs than some folks. I have little patience for people who are uninformed, and especially uninformed, fearful, angry and irrational. Dogs are full of love and can be trusted far more often than many, many people. Dogs who are not socially well adjusted can be made right fairly quickly and permanently.....not so easy with crappy humans.
OK, I gotta stop....I can't fix this tonight.
Last edited by L0KI on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:20 am, edited 8 times in total.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:25 am

I love dogs too, blah blah blah. I haven't been mauled but my sister has (blah blah blah).

There is a huge difference between a big dog attacking and biting and between a big dog just boisterously greeting you. Gunnar's board got bitten hard enough to leave marks on the board. This was no friendly dog coming up to slobber on him.

It doesn't really matter. People have a right to be in public places without being attacked by anything for any reason.

The dog specifically is not the issue. The arrogant and stupid owner is the problem. Their "crime" is made worse because the dog is a lethal weapon and the dog is a victim of the stupid owner as well. Gunnar would have been well within his rights to hurt the dog to protect himself and that would have been terrible.

The dog owner is on a par (and possibly worse than) a kiter who clobbers somebody with their kite. Both grossly overestimate their skills and control and underestimate the dangers to others.

Dog owners as a group are particularly annoying. My dog is under complete control (it isn't). My dog would never bite (it just did). My dog never barks all day when I'm away (it does). I always clean up after my dog (no you don't).

graphik
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006

Postby graphik » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:00 am

@old.. let us know when your pitbull turns on your or someone else...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:03 am

gmb13 wrote:@kamikuza

not worth calling the cops over a few small dents in the board. I do more damage to the board myself riding it. It would have do be one tough dog to bite through a kiteboard.

--
Gunnar
It's the principle ;) nice person-owner might pull his head in if you hit his wallet instead of him or the dog.

Sloberdog
Medium Poster

Postby Sloberdog » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:29 am

I am going to have to agree with angelinversace on this..fight back if attacked. A good swift and authoritative blow or two will most likely quickly end any aggression from most animals..including humans. I have had dogs chase me on the beach and in the snow, most of the time they are wanting to play, but yours bit your board! I am a dog lover and owner, but nothing trains a dog better than a meaningful correction. If you want to train a dog, there is only one book you need "The Koehler Method of Dog Training", I swear by this dog. This reminds me of the story behind the original Brazilian UFC champion, Gracie. The story goes that for no reason he was attacked by the neighborhood alpha pit-bull, he was a big bad dog, well "Gracie" ended up fighting the dog in the alley and eventually put the dog in a choke hold and put him to sleep. If i remember correctly, Gracie did have to get several stitches, but that was the last time Gracie got any lip from that beast of a dog - true story.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1812
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:39 am

Sloberdog wrote:A good swift and authoritative blow or two will most likely quickly ....blah, blah, blah..... nothing trains a dog better than a meaningful correction.
Nope Incorrect.
Sloberdog wrote: This reminds me of the story behind the original Brazilian UFC champion, Gracie. The story goes that for no reason he was attacked by the neighborhood alpha pit-bull, he was a big bad dog, well "Gracie" ended up fighting the dog in the alley and eventually put the dog in a choke hold and put him to sleep. If i remember correctly, Gracie did have to get several stitches, but that was the last time Gracie got any lip from that beast of a dog - true story.
Who in the world can verify this bullshite story?
Martial Arts celebrities have been telling tall tales for forty years.
This one is a whopper.

Return to “Kitesurfing”