Dog attacks Kitesurfer

forum for kitesurfers

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Ozone, Axis, Moses, Zeeko, Firewire, SBS
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Dog attacks Kitesurfer

Postby gmb13 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi,

First off let me say that I am not a fan of dogs. I was almost killed by one when I was a baby and I have mild phobia of the things. And Dogs are not a fan of me. If a dog is gonna have a problem with someone in a room it will most likely be me. I have heard "He usually never bites anybody. I don't know why he attacked you" so many times.

Today as I was trying to come off the water a large dog freaked out and ran into the water and towards me barking and baring his teeth. I decided to get out of there and luckily the dog only got his teeth into my board.

I had to stay out about 10 minutes whilst the dogowner did nothing. I had not other place to come to the beach as at low tide there is only a small area of beach between the rock plates. Eventually (after a lot of shouting at the owner to sort out his dog) the dog got leashed and I could come in. The dogs owner could not understand what my problem was. When I showed him the bite in the board he just told me I should not have gotten so close to the dog. When I explained to him the there is actually a rule against dogs on the beaches here, his reply was that is was a "stupid rule" and that he could do what he wants.

My question is. What is my recourse in situation like that? Should I run the dog down with my board the next time, essentially injuring the animal? Not something I would like to do, but today was a close call, and I am not in the mood for more scars on my legs from Dog bites just because some dog owners can't follow rules and/or train their dogs.

Has anybody been in a similar situation where they have actually run the animal over unintentionally, or had to because there was not other option?

--
Gunnar

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Re: Dog attacks Kitesurfer

Postby KiteCulture » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:05 pm

dude.. this is bad. I too was attacked by a dog when I was about 8 and got away pretty much scott free, but scared... and to this day I've been a dog owner all my life. I have friends that are not dog fans and it's almost like they know it and pay extra attention. I have a baby now and am always very aware that despite the dog and baby getting along, that you can never rely on what an animal will or won't do... so I always take precautions.

Kite wise... I've noticed that kites freak dogs out. Flying a trainer in a park, I've seen dogs bark and run around while trying to figure out what it is. None has gone after me though. That being said... it's the dog owner responsibility to maintain control at all times. Here in Ontario, it's against the law to have a dog on a beach that is not leashed. The dog owner should pay for your board 100% and you should call the cops about the incident. Like I said I love dogs, but there is absolutely no reason why you should be afraid to enjoy a public space. I don't imagine cops will take a biting lightly and will likely post signs or have a look around. I'm sure the guy goes there on a regular basis. Dog walkers have the routine. Doesn't matter if he thinks it's a stupid rule... rules are rules and they are clearly in place to prevent your experience. What if it had been worse? TOugh to fend off a dog tied to a kite. And I would appreciate that in a serious encounter it becomes about survival - yours. If you had maimed the dog with your board, the guy would have nothing to say about it legally because his dog was out of his control.

Seriously... I'd go to the cops and at least make the complaint. THey can't follow-up with no record of this.

take care

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Foiling Basics, The Boardroom Fuerteventura, Ozone, Axiskiteboarding,Schwerelosigkite, Triggernaut,

Postby gmb13 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Hi,

The Signs are already up, but most dog owners here don't really care.

This guy was definitely a tourist.

--
Gunnar

donchin
Frequent Poster

Postby donchin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:00 am

pussy. :lol:

Burness
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Ocean Rodeo

Postby Burness » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:48 am

Gunnar, perhaps you have finally met Pump Me Up. :D

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:52 am

:lol: Could be. But there was more than enough wind for him to kite too .

--
Gunnar
Last edited by gmb13 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:53 am

donchin wrote:pussy. :lol:
You like Tetanus Shots and pain? :o

--
Gunnar

otte
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby otte » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:08 am

stop walking around with a BONEr
Last edited by otte on Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom

Postby sourra » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:45 am

You should have made a pair of gloves from the mutt, or better yet - from the owner. Irresponsible dog owners deserve to be bit and humped by their own dogs.

poools81
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 8
Gear: ozone 13m and 9m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby poools81 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:45 am

sense fear and they attack. dogs know :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”