kiteboarders are not sailors

I love you cabrinha

Cab Driver
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: The World's Fastest Kite. Period

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:55 pm

KiteboardingTampaBay wrote:In my opinion that Cabrinha ad is a major slap to the face of kiters. It comes across as "We know what's best for the sport, we told you so!"
You're going to hijack our friggin' sport and give all the credit to sailors? WTF?
Who enables your rock star lifestyles by buying your overpriced kites- sailors? :angryfire:

:shout: It's not a "sailing device", its called a kite, you ungrateful fucks..... :roll:
I can see wanting to pimp your gear and riding Rob's talent for all its worth, but the fact remains that kiteboarders do not want to be sailors.

In closing, Congratulations to Rob for his accomplishment. Good stuff, that's crazy fast! :out:

Wow - you must really hate sailing and Cabrinha. I value all opinions on the forum, so I'm not here to say that you are wrong. I'm sure you speak on behalf of all kitesurfers on the planet with your opinions, but maybe I can explain the significance of this event to you and why we mention saling. The World Speed Record is a SAILING record. This encompasses monohulls, multihulls, windsurfers, and kitesurfers (I probably left some others out..). Kitesurfing is a niche sport. Toppling records held by windsurfers and then held by sailboats is something that kiters should be stoked about. It brings international recognition to the sport in massive numbers. It shows that kitesurfing, the newest type of way to navigate waters under sail power, is atop the pedestal in the sailling community, which is infinity larger than the kitesurfing community.

What does this mean? It means that maybe some big sponsors that work with sailing might be more interested in tapping into the kitesurfing demographic. So in the near future you might be attending the Jamba Juice Strapless Kite contest, or the Charmin Classic racing event where international media will be attending and our sport will get the mainstream recognition that it deserves.

Rob trained for three years to break this record on basically stock gear. He, Sebastian, and the Catman spent tons own their own money pushing each other to achieve this goal. He has spent 15 weeks of his life the last three years sitting in a windblown desolate part of Africa and put his body on the line to take home a world record for kitesurfers. I personally think Rob is an animal and deserves nothing but accolades for his hard work and dedication. I don't see anywhere where Cabrinha have called us all sailors, it's just a fact that the World Speed Record is SAILING and a lot of kitesurfers who wanted to be eligible to own that record lobbied and worked really hard to make kitesurfing eligible. It's a slap in the face by you to them when you say that kitesurfers aren't sailors.

On a more positive note, this probably isn't the end of the speed sailing battle. These rich backers in the sailing community poured millions into a new hydrofoil sailboat that should be capable of these current speeds. It will be another round of David versus Goliath next year as these ultra competitive athletes push the limits of speed on the water. Way to go Kitesurfing and way to go Rob!!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:18 pm

deepest respect to Rob to go his way. Going your way is what counts! :thumb:

lagwagone
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lagwagone » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:20 pm

the worlds fastest period?

Neil T
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Kommetjie, Cape Town
Style: Wave
Gear: Slingshot, Ozone

Postby Neil T » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:36 pm

Yep - totally with you there cab driver.

Loving the fact that kitesurfers have the outright speed record back and full respect to Rob, Alex, Seb and all the others that have been so committed to make it happen.

GRF - this record is nothing to do with the olympics - crawl back in your hole, we'll call you if you're needed.

Tampa Bay - you got issues fella!

Neil

JoshNoe
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Matheson Hammock, Crandon Park, Stilltsville, Miami Beach, Aventura, Dania Beach, Fort Lauderdale (Tiki Beach)
Favorite Beaches: Bimini Bay, Boca Chita, Stilltsville, Stone Harbor New Jersey
Style: Freestyle and Race
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades, Custom 138 Board with Straps, DC Custom Raceboard, NPX Assassin Shorty, 3/3, and 4/3 Fullsuits, NPX Cult Impact Vest.
Brand Affiliation: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear
Location: Brand Manager for NPX and Pryde Waterwear, Americas

Postby JoshNoe » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:42 pm

Congrats Rob and Cabrinha! That crash at 0:38 is one of the craziest things I've ever seen in kiting!!

konetoniolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Varzinha
Style: Freeride/Freestyle/Wave
Gear: 2010 Cabrinha Switchblade 12m & 9m

2009 Underground FLX 135x41

Postby konetoniolo » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:49 pm

lagwagone wrote:the worlds fastest period?
I'm giving a Cabrinha SB to my girl then!! :thumb:

hombrekiteloop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Too many to list in Auckland NZ, currently Kite Beach Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Style: Freeride, Big Air, Learning Surf
Gear: Best Kites 08 Nemesis 12m, 09 Nemesis 8m &10.
Underground FLX 132
Best 6'1" Thruster

Postby hombrekiteloop » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Well I’m very impressed and steal a bit of pride that not only is a kiter is the fastest to sail on water again but the records just keep getting smashed. If he’s not a sailor then he’s just the fastest ‘kiter’ on earth. I like the to think that these guys are faster than even multi-million dollar yachts. It also seems to me that there is a lot of room for improvement with kites, isn’t the only truly specialized piece of equipment used here the board?

To the windsurfers who rant about it not being real because of the controlled conditions and shallow water, all the fastest records by wind surfers were achieved in very similar conditions. I guess the only real sailing speed records are the ones like S/Y Banque Populaire 5 sailing across the Atlantic (2009) in 3d 15h 25m. That’s 2,880 Nautical Miles at an average speed of 33kn!

Kiting is such a funny sport. I always tell my students that there is more comradery in kiting than most sports, partly because we need each other more. Some times reading forum threads makes all sound like a bunch of bitches that can’t wait to scratch each others eyes out and pull out some hair!

Sailing is just using the wind for motive power, people parasail, sail gliders incredible distances and there’s even theories for sailing in space. What’s with the rebellion anyway?

It does amaze me that Cabrinha would produce that ad though, surely they’re aware that kiters are far too cool to be sailors. Of course these accomplishments are used to pimp their gear, isn’t that the plan when they sponsor these people and make it all possible? Man people like to bitch!

Well done Rob, and well done Cabrinha. Fantastic Stuff!

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:48 pm

No issues here dude, I just call it like I see it. If I am misinformed on the history of how this all came about, please enlighten me...

Cab Driver- I am in no way trying to take anything away from Rob's accomplishment, read the last line of my post. I had a very good friend of mine train with Rob (and compete there last year) and I have taught on Cabs for several years so no, I don't exactly hate the brand or racers themselves- nice try though :thumb:
No offense, cuz I don't know ya, but your reply is written like a true salesman. Of course you want to attract more people, more sponsors, etc. because you sell kites.
Anyone can see that our sport is not ready for mainstream, well except the salesmen of course. :roll:

Here's the reason I posted:
Having kite crossed out and replaced with "Sailing Device" is completely uncalled for.
Why else would it be there given the history?

vegasrider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Brand Affiliation: North

Postby vegasrider » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:23 pm

Well said, CabDriver !

Tampabay, probably you have to face that you are NOT representing the opinion of kiteboarders world wide... I am sure if you go out and ask the kiteracers and the speedkiters you will very quickly find out that they are calling themselves sailors... No one is forcing you to feel to be a "sailor", but you should also have the respect for those riders out there that see themselves as such, and probably want to have a chance to live their olympic dream. It is not up to us to judge if they should or not.

just my 2ct

Return to “Kitesurfing”