Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The World's Fastest Kite. Period

forum for kitesurfers

MKM
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: tons...
Brand Affiliation: Pryde Group- Imagine Surf, JP Australia, SIC Maui, NP, Flow, Cabrinha

Re: The World's Fastest Kite. Period

Postby MKM » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:49 pm

I'm with Konetoniolo 100%. My wife could use the worlds fastest period as well!

Also agree with Neil T. Tampa Bay does have issues...big time. Maybe she needs a faster period too.

Good job Rob, you are the fastest PERIOD! Ruf Ruf!

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:32 pm

It was an impressive accomplishment, more so going in you expect to get messed up. Ideally not terminally but in something like this there is no guarantee of an intact outcome. I tried one of Paul Menta's speed boards years back in a wimpy 25 kts. with 4 inch chop in deep water down in Key West. Believe me this is a LOT harder than it looks, takes huge guts too to try this in 45 kts. sustained gusting higher. The wipeout segment provides a strong insight into the mechanics of some high velocity accidents, the speed and out of control nature of them too.

Here is what I put up on the local forum about it:

"IT'S OFFICIAL - Rob is the fastest sailor on earth!!!

Here is a great video Damien Leroy put together on the experience. I think Coach Gebhardt gave the interview.

Some screen captures from Damo's video of Rob in the thick of the action ...

Locking the kite down in 45 kts. + with a standard production 9 m Cabrinha Switchblade kite during the world record run.

The perspective from Rob's helmet GoPro

Coach Gebhardt shouting the news across the ditch, you have the record!

The high speed wipeout in Rob's next run that day trying for even higher speeds. He is being pulled feet first in this part. Gebi is just starting to sprint in to help.

Being pulled on to his head over the sand bar. Rob suffered a rib and wrist fracture. Despite that he sounded upbeat and so he should be. He survived and is now the fastest sailor on earth!

Way to go Rob, to your crew, coach and your supporters everywhere!"

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:48 pm

Thanks for not answering my question, all of you. :roll:

Too busy shopping for launch sites Kent?
:bye:

Until next time... :bye:

hombrekiteloop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Too many to list in Auckland NZ, currently Kite Beach Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Style: Freeride, Big Air, Learning Surf
Gear: Best Kites 08 Nemesis 12m, 09 Nemesis 8m &10.
Underground FLX 132
Best 6'1" Thruster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby hombrekiteloop » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:14 pm

Tampa, I overlooked your question but I think Cabby already answered it. As far as I remember when a kiter set a new record and became the first to crack 50kn on water powered only by wind (sailing), the world speed sailing council accepted it and then withdrew the ratification without giving any real reasons. It appeared they didn’t like an upstart kiter being the first to reach the holy grail of sailing by going faster than 50kn on a few thousand dollars worth of fairly standard gear. Though he was powered by wind, he wasn’t really a sailor. One thing I heard was that the kiter doesn’t stay in contact with the water. Man they should try holding that much power while not touching the water. There’s a lot of history with this, 50kn is kind of like the sound barrier of sailing and was predicted as the maximum speed for sailing a long time ago. Fast sailing catamarans weren’t well accepted when they totally changed yacht racing either.

It was a big fight to get these amazing achievements accepted. I think it’s more a big “up yours” to the aristocrats that were trying so hard to keep the new kid OFF the block.

Just my thoughts...

Cab Driver
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:38 pm

hombrekiteloop wrote:Tampa, I overlooked your question but I think Cabby already answered it. As far as I remember when a kiter set a new record and became the first to crack 50kn on water powered only by wind (sailing), the world speed sailing council accepted it and then withdrew the ratification without giving any real reasons. It appeared they didn’t like an upstart kiter being the first to reach the holy grail of sailing by going faster than 50kn on a few thousand dollars worth of fairly standard gear. Though he was powered by wind, he wasn’t really a sailor. One thing I heard was that the kiter doesn’t stay in contact with the water. Man they should try holding that much power while not touching the water. There’s a lot of history with this, 50kn is kind of like the sound barrier of sailing and was predicted as the maximum speed for sailing a long time ago. Fast sailing catamarans weren’t well accepted when they totally changed yacht racing either.

It was a big fight to get these amazing achievements accepted. I think it’s more a big “up yours” to the aristocrats that were trying so hard to keep the new kid OFF the block.

Just my thoughts...
Well put. Once a kiter had the fastest speeds, there was a fight from the traditional sailing side due to the millions spent on new equipment versus a trio of bold kiters bought off-the-shelf kites and had a shaper make them two to three $800 boards. There are a lot of politics in sailing. Just look at the Americas Cup deals that have been made over the years. It was a coup to get kiting into the record books two years ago and a major slap in the face to the old guard in sailing...

windfreak74
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: curanipe,costa blanca, punta parron
Favorite Beaches: maule region
desembocadura biobio
Style: Freeride
Gear: best 12m Nemesis 2008
cloud 17m first edition
switch nytro 8m 2013
switch nytro v5 10m
skywalker 135 x48
ocean rodeo Mako 134x 35
underground speedboard 139x27
Manta foil

Postby windfreak74 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:53 am

Congrats to Rob and to Cabrinha!!
Ive tried speedkiting in 25 knots and its not easy to hold speed for a long period of time!!!
I toped out at 34 knots in a normal twintip and i was really beatup the next day.
It takes real rider effort to sustain those speeds!
what makes the real diference is the rider, 2° the board and in 3° place the actual kite! :thumb:
Rob you are the fastest human on the water.!!!!! 8)
Congrats!!!

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:20 am

Each one of you has twisted my point into something that its not, rather than addressing my question.
Its not about the racing at all- its about the ad.
We'll square up on the insults another day, next rounds on me... :wink:

hombrekiteloop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Too many to list in Auckland NZ, currently Kite Beach Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Style: Freeride, Big Air, Learning Surf
Gear: Best Kites 08 Nemesis 12m, 09 Nemesis 8m &10.
Underground FLX 132
Best 6'1" Thruster

Postby hombrekiteloop » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:45 am

Hey dude I just meant to explain what I thought the ad meant and I think you misunderstand my point. As I said I think it's meant as an "up yours" to those that tried to diminish the accomplishment by these athletes. I really think what they meant is "it's not ONLY the highest speed using a kite, it's the highest speed SAILING record, full stop!".

I think I actually get how you took the fact that the word kite was crossed out but I don't think it was meant to be disrespectful to kiting, this is a company that makes money off selling kites. I don't think next years press release will be "check out this year’s new Cabrinha sailing devices”.

I am surprised by the anti-sailing sentiment expressed by so many kiters but perhaps it was short sighted of Cabrinha to not see how this could be received.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:48 am

Kiting is still seen by a lot of sailors and some windsurfers as 'not sailing' and the conditions the records are set in as artificial (same as the windsurf records).
I think its to kitings advantage that it has been officially accepted as sailing - it looks good to be outdoing a huge multi-million dollar multihull.

As long as everyone's friendly and doesn't take it too seriously....

As for Rob and the others risking their lives, I suggested a quick way to get rid of the kite here:-

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2366948&hilit=alex

voodoospirit
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: alps lakes, alps mountain snowkites

Postby voodoospirit » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:22 pm

i thought the fastest kite was a Peter Lynn vapor 2.7 at 133.4 km/h (82.9 mph) = 72.03 knots

i guess ,they were right to say sailing device in their ad, otherwise they could have some troubles.

Return to “Kitesurfing”