sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: High end materials...

Postby sq225917 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:33 pm

Your 2008 Waroo was made with Teijin Ripstop and Dimension Polyant Dacron- they were the two most highly regarded materials in the industry at the time with the best specifications and durability.

In fact the canopy cloth is exactly the same Teijin canopy cloth as was used by Flexifoil during the same period. So any differences in durability is down to when and how the kites have been flown, and how they have been looked after on the beach.

I still have a 2008 Waroo myself, it was one of my demo kites, so has been used and abused, It has certainly had more than 500 hours flying time on it. It doesn't look like it did the day it was new but it's certainly perfectly serviceable and probably works out at about $1.10 per hour flown. That's pretty good VFM.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Have you seen the exchange rate for Yen to Dollar? I bought all of South Carolina yesterday and I only had to stop drinking for a week.

grisen
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby grisen » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:58 pm

Hi there,

From my point of view, it is not which company who uses the best or most expensiv materiales, but more how to they use the different materiales. Unfornatly these brand names of different materiales are used in markting a new product. But from my point of view it is not which single components that are used, but rather how the over all performance of the product, which is interesting. I build kiteboards myself. I can build one made from carbon fibers which is pretty expensive and a very nice materiale. But if I use the carbon fibres wrong, I end up with a shitty board. I can also use the much cheaper glass fiber and still make a good board. (But I know what I'm doing with carbon fibres, so my boards are made with carbon fibres :-)) In my civil work I'm working with materiale development, and I have seen several examples how marketing guys use a single materiale name/property to sell the whole product. Then suddenly cost of this specific material increases like hell (which happens to PMMA plastic at this moment) Then you have to find another sutible materiale, but all you marketing is based on using a specific material name, shit happens. So to all you marketing guys please focus on the product properies rather than seeling the single materiales used in the product. By the way most of us doesn't even know the difference between teijin D2, Teijin extreme power ltd. rip stop etc. we have just heard the names from some marketing guys :-))

kind regards from Denmark
Lars

ejkt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: bali
Favorite Beaches: bali
Style: free style

Postby ejkt » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:23 am

simon, we heard teijin supplies carbon fibers to boein, no strange their materials are expensive.
tell us something about your new material supplier, where are they from?

ejkt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: bali
Favorite Beaches: bali
Style: free style

Postby ejkt » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:17 pm

simon, just like to know best is not more using teijin and german materials ?
are best and cabrinha really sourcing material from china? the printed materials in
your 2011 models are very same as we see on cab's.

esg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 200
Local Beach: Hawaii
Gear: Naish

Postby esg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:30 pm

my 2008 Best Waroo was a piece of crap. It tore apart at practically every seam, at different times, on the leading edge for no reason...not even 9 months old. So maybe it's the cheap thread holding that top-notch material together that is junk.

H53Driver
Medium Poster

Postby H53Driver » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:25 pm

Don't know much about ripstop or kite construction but my 2006 Ozone Instincts are still going strong. The fabric is holding up very well and the construction is proving to be top notch. Not sure about their recent kites but whatever they were doing at that factory in Vietnam back in 2006 was good.

I want to buy new kites but I have a hard time justifying when these Ozones look like they have several more years left in them.

My only complaint....valve adhesive.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:56 pm

H53Driver wrote:
Common Isuu,e air time replacments do the trick.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:00 pm

grisen wrote:Hi there,

By the way most of us doesn't even know the difference between teijin D2, Teijin extreme power ltd. rip stop etc.

kind regards from Denmark
Lars
Here is some onfo on D2 My new kites have it and it feels and looks different, I don't think it is just marketing. There are some vids of it being streached and torn at the same location.

http://www.northkites.com/public/conten ... x_eng.html

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Jdizzle » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:05 pm

H53Driver wrote:Don't know much about ripstop or kite construction but my 2006 Ozone Instincts are still going strong. The fabric is holding up very well and the construction is proving to be top notch. Not sure about their recent kites but whatever they were doing at that factory in Vietnam back in 2006 was good.

I want to buy new kites but I have a hard time justifying when these Ozones look like they have several more years left in them.

Glad to hear about your ozone's holding up. I hope my Catalysts hold up that long, I've had them for 8 months, used them shit loads...and they still look almost brand new. Quality :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”