All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: GoPro Line Mount - Incident report & pics, Paracuru Brazil
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:25 am 
Rare Poster

Hello, my first post here - want to give a warning on the GoPro Camera Line Mount. It needs zipties to secure the lines to avoid dangerous line tangles!

Story: during my 2 months stay in Brazil this autumn I started to use my GoPro line mount in Paracuru.

All going well in one session but despite normal riding (no bar spins, no loops, no kite relaunch) a line got loose and got snagged on the other side of the mount. See pic attached.

Result: front line lenght differed, kite looped x 2, I dropped kite to water but could not fix the tangle and had to release to safety 400 meters from shore...and started the swin back in with kite pulled behind me. So far so good....

Then a guy comes over and says he can pull the kite in...nice so I release the safety, but unfortunately the helper cannot hold the kite and stay upwind so he drops it and it blows downwind onto the field of 50 coral-infested poles at the Paracuru spot....so I have to swin back and get the kite and lines out of the poles....ended up with a tear in the canopy and some small holes. Thanks to the 2 Italian guys that came out and helped me get board and kite back in! Kept the camera on during the "rescue mission", some screenshots attached from the film.

ADVISE and WARNING: fix the lines to the top on each side of the GoPro linemount with zip-ties! Not doing this can cause kite to loop and result in injuries.

Attachments:
GoPro Camera Line Mount - WARNING.jpg
GoPro Camera Line Mount - WARNING.jpg [ 59.81 KIB | Viewed 2206 times ]
GoPro screen shot Paracuru Oct 2010 (1).jpg
GoPro screen shot Paracuru Oct 2010 (1).jpg [ 25.91 KIB | Viewed 2208 times ]
GoPro screen shot Paracuru Oct 2010 (2).jpg
GoPro screen shot Paracuru Oct 2010 (2).jpg [ 36.53 KIB | Viewed 2208 times ]
GoPro screen shot Paracuru Oct 2010 (3).jpg
GoPro screen shot Paracuru Oct 2010 (3).jpg [ 23.52 KIB | Viewed 2209 times ]
GoPro screen shot Paracuru Oct 2010 (4).jpg
GoPro screen shot Paracuru Oct 2010 (4).jpg [ 32.33 KIB | Viewed 2215 times ]
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: GoPro Line Mount - Incident report & pics, Paracuru Braz
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:09 am 
Frequent Poster

Thats the exact reason i didnt buy it. I hope you are ok!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:18 am 
Rare Poster

yes, I am ok. Got some cuts from the corals when trying to get the kite off the poles but nothing more.

But could have been much worse if the looping had started close to shore / when taking down the kite.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:29 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I thought everybody knew about that trick?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:51 am 
Rare Poster

There is nothing mentioned about the need to ziptie it on the mfg homepage: http://kitehero.com/ (where there was a mounting instruction posted previously).

The only instruction provided is to mount the leash on the camera so it does not fall off the lines, but that leash is not preventing the lines to come loose and snagging.

I have mailed Kitehero and asked them to change design or provide zipties to the mount when its sold. Lets see if they can provide a comment here.

We cannot assume that everyone will figure out that the zipties are needed when they buy the line mount. I read about the mount here on kiteforum before I bought it, but did not notice any advice/need to ziptieing it to the lines...so no, the need to ziptie the mount is not common knowledge. And everyone is not reading kiteforum. So LKitehero should take their responsibilty as mfg before anyone gets hurt.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:26 am 
Very Frequent Poster

anybody tried kiteloops with that thing on? Mine had the backline attach itself to the center, which is way worse than having a tangled frontline. It was after a double kiteloop, and since I was coming off a set of waves I only realized too late....I haven't tried it after that...

After that I've always backroll and looped. I think the zip ties makes it harder to mount the cam...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:07 am 
Rare Poster

I've used this mount a lot in many different conditions, including 40+ kt days (5m kite)...kiteloops, waveriding, pretty much everything. I've never had the lines come out of the mount using the bungees that came with it. Just wrap the bungees tightly around the lines and you're ready to rock.

I have, however, had a back (steering) line catch on the mount a few times when my lines go slack-- riding a wave for example. Even on a 5m, the kite wasn't uncontrollable when the line caught. Just set the kite down on the side of the window and flip the line free. Obviously you need to counteract the line snag by pulling on the other side of the bar to keep it from looping, etc :-?

Any time you attach something to your lines there's going to be a chance of it catching. The mount makes for some nice pictures though...

http://www.straplesskitesurf.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:51 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Also happened to me !
Exactly a year ago and also at paracuru !
almost lost my board on my last day kiting. The Cool guys at aloha gave me a xenon board to go and look
for my board. i found it, with a lot of luck, almost at the huge pier :o

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:22 am 
Very Frequent Poster

yeah I thought so..my kite went down so fast, and I didn't know what happened until I I got the kite back out and later I saw the vid it was really clear. :-)

Anyhoo, maybe if I don't do double loops :-)

I've never had a line come out of the grip tho...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Guess I'm going to come across as a smarty-pants but I would have guessed that once you've looked at the mount it would have been obvious that there is a chance of the lines coming out or getting tangled on themselves ... :cool2:

Expect the unexpected, eliminate as many variables as you can and don't push your luck.

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next