gazxtreme
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Walney Island, Lake District, UK
Favorite Beaches: Sotovento Fuerte.
Sanbar at Hurghada Egypt.
Style: Old school, progressing to wake style
Gear: Starkites Sbow 08.
Starkites Sprint 134.
Brand Affiliation: I use Starkites in my school and rode for Starkites in 2008 BKSA grand prix.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: i pledge my assistance to the BKSA

Postby gazxtreme » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Neil, thanks for the clarification, I failed to provide the details of what the BKSA became by becoming limited.
There are very few full time paid people within the BKSA, probably one or two. How it works "and it works pretty well" is there is a structure of people with relelvent experience that work mostly within the training department and a chairman, starting with head of training, then I think 4 examiners and approx 8 or so national trainers, the first two are obvious and national trainers are dotted around the country and help with setting up clubs, advise schools, help with threats of beach closures and carry out school inspections amongst other things. Most of the people have "proper jobs" and do get paid when on BKSA business including mileage. There is also a few people who are race crew who attend and help run the BKSA events and usually marshalls etc who again get paid for their time.
What does stand out is that most of these people do lots more than is obvious and more than they get paid for, they do it for the love of the sport and to help grow the events and BKSA crew structure. If you put enough in you will get a lot out.

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby AlexandreBorges » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:48 pm

Why do you need Bthing or IKO?
Shouldn`t you improve your portfolio and marketing over your point?

I wonder you guys might answer:

Were you a newbie crazy on getting in kitesurf, would you refrain of taking classes because this or that kitepoint is not under IKO?

I started to learn in Prea - Ceará - Brazil under IKO. It was a nice school because of its owners. Under IKO guidance they set 12h class under R$1200 only to have 1/3 of classes bodydraging to recover boards. So is it fair to set people to practice something for 4h even if they are performing well because a given section is to learned by IKO manual?

It was somehow useful and I had fun, but nowadays I`d say and recommend anyone starting to go independent instead.

kiwimike
Medium Poster
Local Beach: pattaya
Favorite Beaches: surfersparadise
Style: all
Gear: cabrinha

Postby kiwimike » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:52 am

danie178 wrote:always did wonder about the IKO, only thing they have going for them is possible work opps over seas.
the BKSA training qualification as of next year will be recognized australia wide, asia wide and all of britan. there are talks going on with canadian and south african clubs as well.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:03 am

kiwimike wrote:
danie178 wrote:always did wonder about the IKO, only thing they have going for them is possible work opps over seas.
the BKSA training qualification as of next year will be recognized australia wide, asia wide and all of britan. there are talks going on with canadian and south african clubs as well.
Which Canadian clubs are you refering to?

kiwimike
Medium Poster
Local Beach: pattaya
Favorite Beaches: surfersparadise
Style: all
Gear: cabrinha

Postby kiwimike » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:58 am

contact andy gatwick from the BKSA to see who he is talking too in canada.

barneskite28
Rare Poster
Local Beach: blackpool, ban tai, cleethorpes, etc
Favorite Beaches: rhosneigr, starr gate
Style: freeride
Gear: instinct 09 13 and 9

Postby barneskite28 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:50 am

gazxtreme wrote:Why do you need Bthing or IKO?
Shouldn`t you improve your portfolio and marketing over your point?

I wonder you guys might answer:

Were you a newbie crazy on getting in kitesurf, would you refrain of taking classes because this or that kitepoint is not under IKO?

I started to learn in Prea - Ceará - Brazil under IKO. It was a nice school because of its owners. Under IKO guidance they set 12h class under R$1200 only to have 1/3 of classes bodydraging to recover boards. So is it fair to set people to practice something for 4h even if they are performing well because a given section is to learned by IKO manual?

It was somehow useful and I had fun, but nowadays I`d say and recommend anyone starting to go independent instead.
The IKO, BKSA, and the FFVL attempt to set a standard, a structure, and a method of educating people so that they recieve all of the knowledge and tools to become a safe and competent kiter. Some schools choose to implement the course in different ways, and some for sure do NOT do a good job. This however is not the fault of the organisation, but of the schools. If there were NO organisations/associations etc to set the standard way to teach, i can almost guarantee there would be A LOT more accidents, beaches closed, insurance claims etc.

Ok, so you might have the right intentions, and even you might not be recognised as a qualified instructor but be able to teach in the right way, but if that were the case how many other people do you think would teach in the wrong way? I bet there would be a lot. I know Mike and i know he runs his school because he loves the sport, and he tries to make it good for everyone involved. The way the IKO have conducted themselves in this has obviously been a 'knee jerk' reaction, and time will tell if they work it out.

But honestly, to think that it can be GOOD to have NO standard to deviate from is clearly a misinformed utopian idea that will never happen in the real world.
Its like saying ok, anybody can drive a car, jo blogs taught himself so thats good enough for me. Can you imagine driving in this world???
My 2c..... Tim

gazxtreme
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Walney Island, Lake District, UK
Favorite Beaches: Sotovento Fuerte.
Sanbar at Hurghada Egypt.
Style: Old school, progressing to wake style
Gear: Starkites Sbow 08.
Starkites Sprint 134.
Brand Affiliation: I use Starkites in my school and rode for Starkites in 2008 BKSA grand prix.

Postby gazxtreme » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:57 am

Woooh, that's not my post you've quoted, I am totally against self teaching. The post you have qutoed belongs to (AlexandreBorges).

barneskite28
Rare Poster
Local Beach: blackpool, ban tai, cleethorpes, etc
Favorite Beaches: rhosneigr, starr gate
Style: freeride
Gear: instinct 09 13 and 9

Postby barneskite28 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:02 pm

gazxtreme wrote:Woooh, that's not my post you've quoted, I am totally against self teaching. The post you have qutoed belongs to (AlexandreBorges).
Sorry dude the HTML must have got messed up... i didnt check it :) My apologies.
Tim

KiteboardingTampaBay
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa Bay area
Brand Affiliation: School owner,Kiteboarding Tampa Bay
Tampa Bay Kiteboarding Association
Freak Dog Kites

Postby KiteboardingTampaBay » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:06 pm

kiwimike wrote:contact andy gatwick from the BKSA to see who he is talking too in canada.
I think that's a HUGE problem with all these "organizations"- everything is done behind the scenes with people who may, or may not, have anything to do with anything.
THAT is how IKA was built, and how all these brand new "national associations" are popping up everywhere.
Its deceptive marketing for control of the sport, and if you have a problem with it, ISAF and IKA will sue you- guaranteed. Right Toby?

BKSA- what does AKSA think about all this, and what do your members think of RG and his affiliation with IKA?

Antigrav
Frequent Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Shop rider

Postby Antigrav » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:20 pm

KiteboardingTampaBay wrote: and how all these brand new "national associations" are popping up everywhere.
The BKSA isn't brand new, don't go lumping it in with whatever other ones you've only just heard of. The BKSA has done an awful lot of good for the sport in the uk, and although obviously everyone makes mistakes I think that the good the organisation has done definitely outweighs the bad. I know a few of the spots in the UK wouldn't have access without them
KiteboardingTampaBay wrote: what do your members think of RG and his affiliation with IKA?
Hmmmm yes, this is another story :angryfire: hopefully Richard can do both jobs effectively without letting one take control of the other.....looking unlikely what with the BKSA already being made affiliated with the IKA

Return to “Kitesurfing”