2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One
2012 Cabrinha Custom 140x42.5 Board
2012 Liquidforce Vantage CT boots
2010 Dakine Pyro waist harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Were talking about Airush, Slingshot, LF, North and Shinn

Postby WildDuke » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:29 am

Does anyone know what the construction of the 2011 Protoy is like? Is it similar to the North / Nobile build or the Cabrinha / Naish construction technique?

Does any one own one or ridden one that would like to share their experience with it?
Last edited by WildDuke on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fatfish98
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99

Re: Airush Protoy Construction and your experience please

Postby Fatfish98 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:12 pm

I had one....
They are super tough boards, Airush put a 2 year warranty on them which I think is unheard of.

I had the 135 x 41 2010 and then the 2011 135 x 41.
The 2011 has a three stage rocker which gives it a lot more overall rocker than the 2010 Protoy.
It also has a more curved plan shape and a deeper double concave. The 2011 has more flex than the 2010 which gives it a super smooth ride over chop. It also has the Team AFT pad system.

I'm the best part of 95kg and 6'3" and I found I needed less flex and a bigger overall size so I've now changed to the 2011 Aboards X series 137x42 which is closer in flex to my 2010 Protoy and it looks really nice!! I will be using that one hopefully on Saturday.

If you are lighter than me then the Protoy will be a really nice board. It also wave rides really nice too.

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One

Postby WildDuke » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:05 am

Thanks for that! Thats exactly what I was needed to hear. I'm 93kg and also prefer boards with a stiffer flex. My last board was a North Team series and I really loved the way it rode. I am planning to purchase an Airush kite this season and thought it would be nice to have a board from the same company. I have tried the Slingshot Lunacy but I dont like that lunch tray profile as I like the board to be fun and easy to carve, therefore I dont think I'd like the Airush FS series.

i board that caught my eye is the 2011 Shinn Luigi. i like the look of the profile and hope that its quite stiff. Unfortunately I live in a place where I dont have the option the try before I buy!

Actually you might have an opinion on their kites too! I'm tending towards the Vapor X, have you flown it? I haven't flown it yet, but of the kites I have flown in the past that I really liked were the North Vegas 2010 and the LF Hifi comp 2010. So it seems that I am tending towards a C shape, but I want something that has more windrange and better relaunch than a Classic C, so thats why i'm thinking the Vapor X. Your thoughts?

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: Were talking about Airush, Slingshot, LF, North and Shin

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:01 am

I own 10m Vapor III. I don't think they've changed a lot for Vapor X beside the bar and bridle. I fly mine on five lines and you can do the same with X if you like. I had RPM before but Vapor is much better. It's got full size wings which makes it behave like a C. C like steering C like kite loops plus depower not like SLE but enough. In my opinion the best kite in it's class.

gotwind
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: The Flats, Tunnels, Wailua, The Pu, Kingdoms
Favorite Beaches: The Flats,Tunnels, and Waiehu
Style: wakestyle
Gear: Airush
Brand Affiliation: Airush Team Rider

Postby gotwind » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:20 am

WildDuke wrote: I want something that has more windrange and better relaunch than a Classic C, so thats why i'm thinking the Vapor X. Your thoughts?
Exactly what the Vapor X is. I own a 8,10, and 12m Vapors X's. Perfect quiver for me. A 8 and 11m would be just as good. Not to mention the next line of vapors wont come out till next season (Aug/Sep)

WildDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: Taurama beach
Gear: 2012 10m Airush Varial X
2012 12m Airush One
2012 9m Airush One

Postby WildDuke » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:21 am

Ok, I think you have helped me make up my mind regarding kite choice. Thanks!

What do you think about this board? The 2011 Shinn Luigi? Their web site mentions of their continious rocker. Do you think this would be a slow board?

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: UK - all north east beaches
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: everything Airush and shinn, and anything else I can get to try - I have to test it all, else I'd be a charlatan :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK)

Postby MikeBirt » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:06 pm

I've ridden the 2011 Jamie pro, 2011 Protoy and The Luigi 2011...

The Luigi II is stiff in the core, much stiffer than the JP, probably not quite as stiff as the PT, which as I remember was pretty stiff..

The tips of the luigi are very soft though, makes it feel soft, but doesn;t loose drive... The Constant rocker is higher than anything he has done before but curiously, like the monk it's extremely efficient, and I would say it's going earlier than the JP size for size..

Wibbler
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Wibbler » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Luigi looks like a wakeboard... the more rocker you have, the easier it is to flip yourself out of the water... but the sacrifice is more power needed to keep it planing...
So maybe with a bigger kite than your usual the Luigi would make sense?
interested to hear from anyone else thats ridden it

p__han1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Tybee Island, GA
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Cabarete
Tybee Island, GA
Sullivans Island, SC
Islamorada, FL
Huguenot park, FL
Style: wake/surf/big air!
Gear: 2012 Slingshot fuels 9m and 13M
2011 Slingshot fuel 7m. I need an 11!
Supershinn
Slingshot asylum
5'11" Slingshot Celeritas
5'11" slingshot tyrant
Ion apex harness
Brand Affiliation: AOK Team Rider

Postby p__han1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:23 am

I don't think there will be any issues with the luigi's need for power to plane. I just got the monk in the 132x41 and am dying to ride it. I did ride the 130x40 and it planed as well if not better than my EH 134x39. The Luigi too should be amazing with the similar rocker line and I've heard nothing but praise for the board. I will tell you that with the Monk you can load and pop in an instant no matter what the water conditions. the ride is super smooth and even in chop you can go out and hammer it!

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: UK - all north east beaches
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: everything Airush and shinn, and anything else I can get to try - I have to test it all, else I'd be a charlatan :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK)

Postby MikeBirt » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:50 pm

p__han1 wrote:I don't think there will be any issues with the luigi's need for power to plane. I just got the monk in the 132x41 and am dying to ride it. I did ride the 130x40 and it planed as well if not better than my EH 134x39. The Luigi too should be amazing with the similar rocker line and I've heard nothing but praise for the board. I will tell you that with the Monk you can load and pop in an instant no matter what the water conditions. the ride is super smooth and even in chop you can go out and hammer it!
The Luigi uses the same rocker template as the Monk although some have said that the measured rocker is slightly less due to the different deck mould. I have measured it against a few and it's not a really high rocker at all, I would not want less, for it's planing as early as any of the most efficient boards out there....
It's not quite holding as much composure on the ragged edge as the monk (which abnormally good in chop and overpower as you say) yet feels a little more tactile and responsive under medium power.

Return to “Kitesurfing”