Best Light Wind Inflatable 2011

Forum for kitesurfers
bustingbladder
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best Light Wind Inflatable 2011

Postby bustingbladder » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:28 am

Christian, good word for the chaps indeed! However, I'm suprised you left the true "Best Light Wind Inflatable" from your list but admire you for your honest review's. For you are living by the oath of the wise and have not ridden this sacred resource I am referring to.

I'd like to make a suggestion... Please add the 16m Cabrinha Crossbow to your list. You dont really see that crew pimping this forum cause it aint cool. Unlike some we are witnessing on hand presently.

Back in the day, I'd have to give the nod unfortunately to Ken Winner's invention the R620m. What a powerhouse! In that particular year the 18m and 20m were a different cut/design than the rest of the Rhino quiver. Still have one laying around somewhere in the piles of old quivers rotting in storage. Now days, I cant imagine wanting to kite in anything less than what a 16 XBow can handle. If the kite can launch you can get going right up wind with a good LW board. And what a smooth recliner she is! :winner2:

WG

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:20 am

Wally

you just blew my mind! :yumyum:

I thought 13m was the biggest size the Crossbow came in.

list updated accordingly!

RDM
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RDM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:14 pm

What about the 2009 Rhino 16m............ :-?

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:47 pm

the original was the Rhino 2 -20m, that kite was a beast! - Pulled in 8 knots but had a very limited top end.... I had a Flysurfer 15.5m which was about the same in terms of pull, but had more float.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:34 am

Tiago1973 wrote:yes, there is a post w/ some data but not for 2011 gear

Per that post we got:
- Zeeko LW 2010 => 14 m => 3.4 Kg
- Ozone LW 2009 => 17 m => 4.1 Kg

About the same Area/Weigh btw both.

I wonder if for 2011 gear the brands managed to improve this relationship.

In the end all the marketing bla-bla-bla about super-duper weigth savings should translate into something measurable, right?...
Weights for Ozone 2011 Light wind kites
2011 Zephyr 17M brand new kite only 4.2kg
2011 Edge 15M used kite only 4.0kg (maybe some sand in the kite)

Using the 15M Ozone Edge, and Nobile Flying Carpet I can stay upwind and cruise all over our bay in winds as low as 9/10 knots.
Have not used the 2011 Ozone Zephyr yet, last years had less bottom end than this year Edge in my opinion, but it was more that it did not have the lift that this years Ozone Edge has. This years Ozone Edge is the most efficient inflatable kite I have flown, the upwind angles I can get on this kite are amazing. We have a lot of Moth yachts in our area and last saturday I turned and matched one for upwind and speed for a few hundred metres until I saw that the Moth sailor was a bit worried about the massive kite sitting a few meteres over the top of his mast and I dropped away behind him and accelerated upwind at a less steep angle. I was close enough to the Moth to say hi and to tell him not to worry about me, but he was clearly shocked to see a guy on a kite matching his upwind speed and angle. If I had been on a Race board I would have out performed him for sure. ( I was on a Cabrinha Prodigy 1.44)

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:33 am

StarKites Sbow 16m works well in light winds a bit slow but has alot of low-end

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:11 am

Have to agree with Gozo.

The larger Sbows are really good. Nice lowend and you can hold them insanely long. A bit slow though. The smaller Sbows (atleast from previous years) sucked.

Personally i have my hopes on the Epic Renegade Infinity. Which i hope to ride this summer. So far i have heared many good things of the kite.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 am

I got a 16m Xbow for the low wind and it's surprised me on occasion ... but it's still not up to the Flysurfer for low-end shunt or relaunch in SFA. It seems to me that there's a point where it just crashes out of the sky, whereas the FS will keep flying - just won't pull much ...

Also FYI apparently the 2010 (and on?) 13 and 16m Xbows have lighter (thinner?) either bladders or leading edges, to keep the weight down ... can't remember the details now.

I always though that LEI was a direct translation of the French grammar ... in honour of the originals?

Here, kite = LEI and anything else gets sideways looks and a "Huh what's that then?"

We have a guy with a Zephyr here and he's usually the first out (of the pumpies) on a directional. Hopefully, if Ozone Japan gets finger out of nose, we'll have a demo Zephyr at the club house ...

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:49 pm

Geronimo79 wrote:Have to agree with Gozo.

The larger Sbows are really good. Nice lowend and you can hold them insanely long. A bit slow though. The smaller Sbows (atleast from previous years) sucked.

The smaller Sbows rock I have 8m kills it in the waves and turns fast. the only thing is in high gusty winds 35knt+ the kite looses some of it stability

HAMLINDP
Frequent Poster

Postby HAMLINDP » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Anyone tried a Screamer yet?

Return to “Kitesurfing”