Best Light Wind Inflatable 2011

Forum for kitesurfers
stefaans
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best Light Wind Inflatable 2011

Postby stefaans » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:24 pm

Mocolombo, where did you ride the Dyno? or is this just coming out your ...

mocolombo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mocolombo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:30 pm

I didn´t ride it yet. But this is what "i am thinking about..." based on what the manufactures are saying, ....

We still have to wait some days before it get the shops.

apos0
Medium Poster

Postby apos0 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Windrider wrote:I still think the EH EZE13 ranks as one of the top light wind inflatables. Its ultra flat design makes it pull like a 16, but still handle like a 13. It has super pull, lift and float. Its one drawback is that it tops out at about 19 mph for me (175 lbs). When it's in its sweet spot, 11-18 mph (9.5-15.5 knots) it's a champ!
I have the EZE 13m and the 15m Edge. You cant really compare them. The EZE overpowers quickly, good from about 10 knots, never had problem relaunching even at 10 knots(need to work the lines a bit when the wind is low), not good for downwind.
I had the 15m Edge the other day in at 7 knots with my race board, flying upwind, everybody was just sitting on the beach. The wind picked up after 1 hour to about 20knts, i was amazed that the kite still flew with no problems, didnt even pulled the depower strap, the jumbs were sooo floaty!

apos0
Medium Poster

Postby apos0 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Windrider wrote:I still think the EH EZE13 ranks as one of the top light wind inflatables. Its ultra flat design makes it pull like a 16, but still handle like a 13. It has super pull, lift and float. Its one drawback is that it tops out at about 19 mph for me (175 lbs). When it's in its sweet spot, 11-18 mph (9.5-15.5 knots) it's a champ!
I have the EZE 13m and the 15m Edge. You cant really compare them. The EZE overpowers quickly, good from about 10 knots, never had problem relaunching even at 10 knots(need to work the lines a bit when the wind is low), not good for downwind.
I had the 15m Edge the other day in at 7 knots with my race board, flying upwind, everybody was just sitting on the beach. The wind picked up after 1 hour to about 20knts, i was amazed that the kite still flew with no problems, didnt even pulled the depower strap(the 2011 bar has a longer depower), the jumbs were sooo floaty!

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:17 pm

I definitely agree that the EZE 13 over powers quickly. That is its biggest weak point. At around 20 mph, it gets out of control for a 175 lb person like me. It drags you off your edge. I also agree with Kupono that relaunching it is a bit of a bear, especially in under 12 mph winds, but I've run into that with all big kites I've flown. Light wind (under 10 knots) makes it hard to relaunch. The EZE's ultra flat canopy makes it have more surface contact (therefore "sticky") to the water than a delta design, but that's also why it has more power in the air.

In its sweet spot of 12-18 mph, it's still a super kite IMHO. I do admit that I have not tried any of the big deltas, 14m or larger.

danny31292
Rare Poster

Postby danny31292 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:21 pm

I had a 13 eze. It overpowered quickly and I thought the low end was very unimpressive. Maybe its because I was still a beginner when I had it, but I like my 14m Rhino much better.

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:47 am

eree,

I think the Zephyr is better at outright low end and the jumping, but the One is much faster turning and therefore better in sessions where the wind has died but the waves are still rolling in.

- Droffats

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:41 am

Apologies if this has already been posted...there is info on the Dyno compared to Zephyr here...

This link should work

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kite ... -Dyno-yet/
Last edited by topmick on Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

BrisKites
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Brighton, Suttons, Queens
Favorite Beaches: Elliot Heads
Style: Depends where I am
Gear: Torch, Mayhen-X, Helix, Nobile 666, Naish Momentum + more
Brand Affiliation: BrisKites www.briskites.com.au

Postby BrisKites » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Looks like that link is dead.

I own a Dyno 18m and can tell you it works in extremely light wind and it's upwind performance is superior to all of the others.

Here is a copy of a review I have written elsewhere-

Well it looks like I will be the first world to review the Dyno so here are some brief thoughts from my first flight.
18m2 Dyno 10-14knt
Out of the bag it is very obvious the Dyno is constructed as a specific light wind kite. The lack of one pump and lighter leading edge and strut material keep this canopy very light weight.
Once pumped up the kite has a very sleek look and the high aspect is evident.
In Flight-
Quite linear and very predictable in it's power delivery. First thing that strikes you is it's upwind performance. Just gain a bit of board speed then point upwind and feed the bar out as you come around. Screaming upwind on my everyday twin tip makes me wonder what the upwind performance will be once matched with a light wind or race board.
Turning speed for an 18m is good and I was just able to achieve kite loops although I think if this is important for you the 16m2 would be a better option.
Bar pressure is a bit more than say a 12m Rebel.
One light wind flying characteristic of this kite compared to other big kites is it's ability to stay in the sky and climb quickly at the edge. This is due to the weight reductions in the canopy.
Unhooked?? Works OK for such a large kite and pop is quite good, just be sure to trim the front lines down a bit in light wind to avoid a stalled kite once you land.

Wave riding?? Not so good on this front, you didn't really expect a kite this high aspect to drift nicely did you??

No comment on the bottom end yet as I am yet to discover it. Give us a few more weeks before comments on this.

All up the Dyno is a superbly crafted kite built for a purpose. It's race breeding dominates the flight characteristics but I still found it a ton of fun for freeride on a small twin tip.

zh4k
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Erie

Postby zh4k » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:12 pm

You know what I want in a light wind inflatable...I'd like a 4 strut kite made of uber light materials with no one pump. I'd like the aspect to be somewhere between low and medium, more medium so as to give somewhat pretty good upwindability. Yet, I want it to be super stable and jump decently. Now which kite fits this the best.

Return to “Kitesurfing”