Epic Screamer 14 versus Epic Renegade 13

Forum for kitesurfers
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Epic Screamer 14 versus Epic Renegade 13

Postby ed257 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Since I got my EPIC 10 LTD I am a believer in this brand.

I am looking for a new lighter wind kite and likely to choose between the EPIC Screamer 14 and Renegade 13.

Has anyone ridden both of these?

Based on descriptions I am torn. The turning, gust handling and smoothness of the Renegade 13 sounds good, but the amazing boost, hang-time and upwind ability of the Screamer 14 is compelling too. Plus the 14 may start a bit earlier for me. I want this kite mostly for 13 - 20 or so. (me 190 lbs on Shinn Monk 134 x 42)

Thanks in advance for any input.

Ed

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: EPIC Screamer 14 versus Epic Renegade 13

Postby Séb » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Screamer 14m will compliment your 10ltd better I beleive. Since you got a 10ltd mean you probably don't need the Renegade for stability issue, you will use your Monk TT and not a surf so the Screamer and the Monk is a perfect match, both great for aggressive riding, big air and such. The R13 is nice too but considering what you have already in equipments I would go with the Screamer 14.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Re: EPIC Screamer 14 versus Epic Renegade 13

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:57 pm

Since I got my EPIC 10 LTD I am a believer in this brand.
I am looking for a new lighter wind kite and likely to choose between the EPIC Screamer 14 and Renegade 13.
Has anyone ridden both of these?
Based on descriptions I am torn. The turning, gust handling and smoothness of the Renegade 13 sounds good, but the amazing boost, hang-time and upwind ability of the Screamer 14 is compelling too. Plus the 14 may start a bit earlier for me. I want this kite mostly for 13 - 20 or so. (me 190 lbs on Shinn Monk 134 x 42)
Thanks in advance for any input.
Ed
Séb is correct. Since you got the SCREAMER 10 (LTD) and from my understanding you like the kite, then definitely stay with the same model and get the SCREAMER 14 instead of the RENEGADE 13 LTD. Don't take me wrong, the RENEGADE 13 ltd is an amazing kite but it was designed for a different style of riding. If your riding style is going big then definitely go with the SCREAMER 14 (2010 / 2011 or 3G). The SCREAMER 14 (2011 & 3G) did not change much except the graphics and few minor things. But they are an improvement from the SCREAMER 14 (2010).

P.S. So Mr.ed257, from what I see in your thread it looks like you do believe the performance of the EPIC kites. :thumb:

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Re: Epic Screamer 14 versus Epic Renegade 13

Postby L0KI » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:42 am

I love the Renegade 13M LTD V2 kite.
Relaunch is very fast and easy.
Provides the proper power to be my lightwind kite.
Renegades are great kites in gustier locations.
I also owned the Screamer 14M kite and liked it a lot too.
Power seems very close on these two kites, so neither is a mistake.
The Renegade turns faster but more pivotally, the Screamer produces a lot of power when you move it, the higher aspect ratio of the Screamer makes it sit a bit further forward.
The Screamer 14M produces massive lift and float/hangtime when boosting.
The Renegade, being a three strut medium aspect kite, is more of that easy going all arounder shape, so it sits further back and power is more sheet in and go.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com
Been thanked: 0

Re: Epic Screamer 14 versus Epic Renegade 13

Postby KiteCulture » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:48 pm

I mirror comments here. I've spent a lot of time on my 13 Renegade and it's a kite I've fallen in love with. Easy to handle, great range, nice floaty lift (I'm 150 lbs), ultra fast relaunch, great low end. I have the 3G version 1 and upwind is not hard, but this has been addressed in the later version, so now upwind ability is even easier.

I've spend some time on the 14 Screamer. Both kites get me going in the same wind strength (light wind at about 7-8 knots...seriously) Lots of fun at 10 knots and overpowered for me in 14-16. Altough overpowered, I never feel unsafe due to the sheeting and depower straps at the bar. Easy to self land. Never had an issue.

These two kites do different things, although I think you'll be quite impressed with the boost ability on the 13 Renegade. Size wise though, the 13 and your 10 will have a lot of overlap, so I'd suggest the Screamer 14 for less overlap and a similar feel to your 10.

OR.... get both and have LOTS and LOTS of fun

Return to “Kitesurfing”