Forum for kitesurfers
Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Drysuit questions

Postby Don Monnot » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:41 pm

I think you SHOULD be concerned about the possibility of a blown gasket, and the consequences are very serious. Though the risk may be small while riding, if you're in a hurry to get out (like most of us are), you may not notice a small tear happen while donning the suit. I'm pretty sure that's what happened here last Fall (or was it spring?). A relative newbie (unknown to some of us regulars) went out wearing a drysuit. The waves were choppy, about 3 ft. The wind died, kites came down and couldn't be relaunched. Most of the guys who didn't see the change in weather approaching managed to drift in without incident. The newbie in the drysuit had a seal fail, his drysuit filled up totally, and he nearly died of hypothermia while never more than 50 yards from the beach. He was too numb too quickly to realize his lines were getting all wrapped around him, and he was quickly so tangled up he couldn't swim in. A surfer swam him in. None of the kiters realized he was tangled or that his suit had failed.

A week later an experienced kiter had a lull catch him, too, but he got all tangled up while wrapping up his lines and had a very, very slow drift into the beach. He had no feeling in his feet or hands (cold water), and didn't realize he was getting tangled and couldn't feel the lines well enough to get himself untangled once it happened. His drysuit kept him the right side of hypothermic, but just barely.

So yes, drysuit seals can fail dramatically, and you need to be aware of the potential and take some safeguardsto prevent catastrophe.

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .

Postby tommeltot » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:54 pm

I concur with both El Rudo and Woody71. Love my new breathable Pyro Pro.

Always use a drysuit during the winter months. Have never had a seal show any signs of failing on me. Look after them as suggested and they will last a long time!

Woody71
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Woody71 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Don Monnot wrote:
A week later an experienced kiter had a lull catch him, too, but he got all tangled up while wrapping up his lines and had a very, very slow drift into the beach. He had no feeling in his feet or hands (cold water), and didn't realize he was getting tangled and couldn't feel the lines well enough to get himself untangled once it happened. His drysuit kept him the right side of hypothermic, but just barely.

I've only ever seen one seal fail in use and that was when a guy dived head first from a 20 foot pier. Other than that they usually go when putting them on, use the techniques mentioned and you'll be golden and very unlucky if it fails elsewhere. Like all kiting kit, its all about maintenance and inspection!

Not sure what you mean in the quote above, he'd have had cold hands and feet in a wetsuit and if it was that cold then a wetsuit wouldn't have helped! Unless you mean this guys dry suit failed as well?

Not sure about the reason for the secon

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 am

El Rudo wrote:Starsky you correctly mentioned the water over air temperature - I mostly ride knee deep water and stay within 100 or so meter to the beach in winters, hence the air temperature for comfort. When you are venturing out to deeper/colder water/longer swim hazards do think safety over comfort!
Why do you have colder water further out at your spot ?
(or do you just THINK it is colder out there ?)

Here, it is opposite - in shallow water (where we hardly never ride in the winther, as wave fins might catch the ground, and there is usually ice), it is always colder in the winthertime, as it can be 0°C (32F) or colder if salt water, whereas further out, where it is deep and ocean waves roll in, it can be up to 4° (39F) which is the temperature of the sea at the bottom, even when really cold air, way below the freezing point.

That said - of course it is way safer to ride close to shore in the winther 8)

I have a drysuit with neoprene gaskets, so dont have the risk of snapping seals, and I dont waste time rinsing the suit after use either :thumb:
But I agree with everyone, that seals today are so good, that they will work fine - so just choose whatever type you like :)

Underneath I wear the standard full and light fleece suit, that most shops delivers, and you can also drive home in this after being out - which is really good, so you dont have to stand and get cold at all after the sessions.
But if it is way below zero, I also use a very thin ski-suit (these black things you know) under my fleece.

As Starsky also points out, the very advantage of a drysuit is that you feel very free and light in a drysuit :thumb:
Some thinks it is because they are warmer - but not true IMO (except if you are on land talking, instead of riding).
A winther neoprene wetsuit of todays standard is AWESOME and warm !

But a drysuit is very very comfortable for everyday use in the winthertime IMO, and when changing there is no comparison - SO much warmer :rollgrin:
Besides, you can rig and de-rig in your suit, if using a drysuit - never in "a hurry" because of the risk of getting cold.

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”