Forum for kitesurfers
Chris1973
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Best harness to stop lower back pain

Postby Chris1973 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Has anyone used a seat harness comfortable and functional enough for wave riding???

lenker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bulabog

Re: BEST HARNESS TO STOP LOWER BACK PAIN

Postby lenker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:02 pm

RDM wrote:
Chillbay wrote:My problem is I am now suffering from lower back problems.
You need to address this ASAP buddy....

Start with these simple exercises... :thumb:

These are the exercises I used to have to do to stop back pain when I was still an office wreck. The reason given then was that I had no strength in my muscles - which was true. Ten years forward I'm a very fit kiteboarder but today after a fairly radical three hour session my lower back hurt so bad like back in my office days. Very difficult to get up from a chair, can't bend forwards without massive pain, etc...

All of this leads me to my current theory that while kiteboarding really trains the muscles in your abs, legs and arms well, it actually has very little impact on the back's muscles (the ones exercised in the picture above).

Like I said, it's only a theory of mine, I'm neither a doctor nor a physician so excuse my pseudo-science :-) Nevertheless, is there maybe some truth to this? Should all serious kiteboarders do these exercise to compensate?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Chris1973 wrote:Has anyone used a seat harness comfortable and functional enough for wave riding???
I have no problems using ANY seat harness for waveriding :thumb:

It adds another perspective of freedom in your upper body, which is really great when riding waves, as you can turn and twist your upper body much more and more free - I really like that :naughty:

Of course, you will limit your lower body twist/freedom slightly - but IMO it all outbalances quite well :D

I use a waist myself for waveriding most of the time now, but that is because of other reasons 8)

:thumb: Peter

dksurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Nipissing, North Bay, ON, Canada
Favorite Beaches: Ontario Canada, PEI Canada
Hatteras, North Carolina
Cuba
Style: TT, SB and HF
Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil

Postby dksurfer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:58 am

Seat!

Chris1973
Medium Poster

Postby Chris1973 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:53 am

Peter, doesn't the seat harness restrict your movement and eventually make it more difficult to ride comfortable going toeside?
I 'm asking because in the last two years i'm most of the time on my surfboard and although my waist harness feels comfortable for that an older back injury will make my lower back feel a little sore and stiff the night after (not during the session) and i was thinking of useing a dakine nitrus i have somewhere for a change. Maybe even give that dynabar a go. :think:

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:23 am

Chris1973 wrote:Peter, doesn't the seat harness restrict your movement and eventually make it more difficult to ride comfortable going toeside?
I 'm asking because in the last two years i'm most of the time on my surfboard and although my waist harness feels comfortable for that an older back injury will make my lower back feel a little sore and stiff the night after (not during the session) and i was thinking of useing a dakine nitrus i have somewhere for a change. Maybe even give that dynabar a go. :think:
Definitely give the Dynabar a go. I've been using it for about 2 years now with my seat harness. No comparison in the range of motion. The Dynabar makes toe-side a breeze.

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:36 am

coming to the topic there are seat harness without back support and some with. this change sooo much in force distribution (and pain problems) and there also waist harness with seat addiction (Warrior, Ocean Rodeo and other more) that have main load on the back area but also some vertical force is in the seat part. I had a seat harness with no back support and whereas it works is not best choice for back problems. Never tied but Nitrous seems to me not to have back support .

about seat and wave riding. I use both and for sure in wave riding to have the pelvis free is a plus (look at a surfer riding a wave), so I would suggest a waistor a waist-seat. If for some reason should tick to a seat (but I cant' see really why), a Dynabar is really suggested in order to gain some freedom

harness is a very important part of the package, I've tried one waist with a good name but it fits no well to me and riding is really bad affected (and session are shorter), so it's good to try and compare. now I've just bought the new Shadow and will look how it perform next spring

Pippi langsamer
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Bay
Langebaan
Dolphin Beach
Shark Bay
Brand Affiliation: Naish

Postby Pippi langsamer » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:58 am

I'd agree the board-short "seat" harnesses don't really offer much in terms of actual back support. They will however take a lot of the load off your lower back that a waist harness would exert.

I'm currently riding with the ION B2 board-short harness which I have to say is superb. Much better quality than the Dakine Nitrous. My friends Nitrous shorts are torn already after one season.

Looking forward to getting abck onto the wasit harness though when fully recovered. I tried the ION apex waist harness on last weekend (with some load from the shops ceiling mounted hook), and that felt darned comfortable too.....

Windrider
Very Frequent Poster
Location: Kailua, Hawaii, currently riding EH and OR kites (2013 Razor rocks!)

Postby Windrider » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:29 pm

Seat harnesses don't have to provide back support. Some do. Some don't. But the problem with waist harnesses is that they focus pressure on your lower/middle back and rib cage. All a seat harness has to do is focus the pressure on the area of your body designed to handle it.

Think about hanging in the air for any length of time. Would you rather have your body weight supported by your pelvic area or by your waist? The space between the top of your pelvis and the bottom of your rib cage is not designed to support your body weight under stress. It's simple physics.

Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Camber
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay
Style: Freeride/Freestyle ish!
Gear: 8 & 12 mtr RPM's

132 Xenon Laluz, cant afford anything else!
Brand Affiliation: I own a PC so I must be affiliated to Microsoft, I wish :-)

Postby Chillbay » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:13 pm

Windrider wrote:Seat harnesses don't have to provide back support. Some do. Some don't. But the problem with waist harnesses is that they focus pressure on your lower/middle back and rib cage. All a seat harness has to do is focus the pressure on the area of your body designed to handle it.

Think about hanging in the air for any length of time. Would you rather have your body weight supported by your pelvic area or by your waist? The space between the top of your pelvis and the bottom of your rib cage is not designed to support your body weight under stress. It's simple physics.
I know what you say to be true, but, if the harness spreads over the lower (pelvis) and upper part (bottom of rib cage) then thats great, not all waist harness's do this, but some do, so you get the support and the freedom.

I have been pulled quite violently at times, at the time stated I had been wearing the nitrous shorts, so not strictly a seat harness but with a low hook, and this has pulled pretty dead centre on my body, nearly folding me in half where my feet have nearly touched the back of my head! :(
Moving the hook upwards, the pull can still be the same but the load is moved up the body, so if you have the right harness its damage limitation.

So me, moving from a shorts harness to a waist was a big improvement. Like everyone says’ it’s a personal thing, definitely don’t buy without trying. I got the shorts harness on-line, I got the waist harness in a shop after trying on loads, the guys in S2AS were very patient with me, and steered me away from harness’s know to be a little hard on the body, big thanks to Alex in Hythe :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”