*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Best harness to stop lower back pain
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:59 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:55 am
Posts: 384
Location: St Mary's Bay
Toby wrote:
I think the shorts are the ones just like a short with a hook on it..like the Dakine one.
correct me if wrong!
the shorts from dakine puts no pressure over the back and butt, a seat harness protects your back from "hollow cross" (?) which causes lots of pain in my case.
And specially riding old school always fully powered, my back has to take a lot of pressure, but with a seat the pressure goes down to the butt, and above my lower spinals.

Well it may be that in my case the Nitrous shorts are not giving me support is my weak area, that's not the fault of the product they are great but perhaps not in my case. I will build up strength in the area and at the same time look for a harness that gives me the support I need. Great topic which I'm sure has been covered before but I'm sure there's lots of guys and gals out there which have the same problem who want to enjoy this great sport for as long as possible and all the feed-back and advice is greatly appreciated :thumb:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Best harness to stop lower back pain
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:20 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:17 am
Posts: 2171
Location: Save a life...adopt a Pitbull
Toby wrote:
I think the shorts are the ones just like a short with a hook on it..like the Dakine one.
correct me if wrong!
the shorts from dakine puts no pressure over the back and butt, a seat harness protects your back from "hollow cross" (?) which causes lots of pain in my case.
And specially riding old school always fully powered, my back has to take a lot of pressure, but with a seat the pressure goes down to the butt, and above my lower spinals.


The Dakine Nitrous have a seat harness just like yours under the shorts. If you took a scissors and cut the shorts off they would look just like what you are wearing in your pics.
Adjustable leg straps in front and a full seat piece around the rest just like any seat harness I've seen, maybe I'm missing something. Don't know what "hollow cross" is.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Best harness to stop lower back pain
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:44 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:49 pm
Posts: 184
Another longtime nitrous shorts user here. I always take the webbing strap that runs under the butt (inside the shorts) and shorten it as much as possible. This forces the bar down as low as possible and transfers even more load directly to the legs instead of the back

Even with a fusion harness, if the bar rides high then I get alot of back loading when edging hard with the kite low.

Not crazy about a low bar but no choice for me. It makes learning full board-offs really hard!

FWIW I would not be kiting were it not for "prolotherapy" treatments

http://www.caringmedical.com/


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Best harness to stop lower back pain
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 21, 2003 12:07 pm
Posts: 1409
Location: NW Pacific
"Prolotherapy" WOW!

"Welding" the bones/muscles/tendons with multiple shots to the affected areas?

Not cortisone, I assume. WHAT-THEN?

Perhaps, a little too good to be true?

Please clarify......................................

Feldenkrais for doods who like needles sounds more like it, if I may take the yang position here.

Tell ya what, they can use my 88 yr old old man as a guinea pig and stick him till he looks porcupine-ish and if he is up for a rousing kite-boogie and babe shag afterwards I'll commit BIG TIME!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Best harness to stop lower back pain
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:41 am 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:49 pm
Posts: 184
There is plenty of info on the web regarding prolotherapy and how it works. Torn/stretched ligaments and tendons don't normally heal quickly like muscle, in part due to reduced blood flow to these areas, especially in older people. The treatment is nothing more than a saline solution injection that acts as an irritent to the injured ligaments/tendons. It essentially tricks the body into healing both ligaments and tendons in the area of the injection. Prolotherapy is not a quick cure (several spreadout treatments are often required). It works better with a healthy immune system and you still need to follow up with a back strenghtening routine. It is not a cure for every back related condition but is ideal for cases of "ligament laxity"

I swear by it but do your own due diligence and decide for yourself

chemosavi wrote:
"Prolotherapy" WOW!

"Welding" the bones/muscles/tendons with multiple shots to the affected areas?

Not cortisone, I assume. WHAT-THEN?

Perhaps, a little too good to be true?

Please clarify......................................

Feldenkrais for doods who like needles sounds more like it, if I may take the yang position here.

Tell ya what, they can use my 88 yr old old man as a guinea pig and stick him till he looks porcupine-ish and if he is up for a rousing kite-boogie and babe shag afterwards I'll commit BIG TIME!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Best harness to stop lower back pain
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:40 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:55 am
Posts: 384
Location: St Mary's Bay
Well, I took all your advice, did sit-ups etc, went into the shop and took my time trying out different harness's. I know most of the advice was leading towards a seat harness, but that was what i was already using. The most comfortable waist harness I found was the Mystic Shadow.

Spent 2hrs on the water, it took some getting used too because the spreader bar is higher, felt very strange to start with. After 2hrs on choppy sea normally my back would be shot, but I'm happy to say, I have had no back ache what so ever, so it looks like I have found a harness to suit my needs. It wont suit everyone's needs with a lower back prob I'm sure, but it has mine. Thanks for all the advice guys :thumb:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Best harness to stop lower back pain
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:36 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:42 pm
Posts: 224
Location: Lisbon /portugal
hi, i had the same problem, and i find the Underwave harness, i love it because have a big support area for your back.

Image

http://www.underwave.info/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=104


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Best harness to stop lower back pain
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:05 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 3980
Location: OUTER BANKS (NC) USA. Owner of EPICKITES
Hello "Chillbay",
In order to help your back you need to do 2 things.
Start doing these exercises that "RDM" showed you.
Then get a Seat Harness not a waist harness or a short harness but a SEAT HARNESS. But you need to try them first before you buy them and see how it feels on your back.

I broke my back twice. But I still use a waist harness for the things I do. But what helps me the most is these exercises.
Good luck.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Best harness to stop lower back pain
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:31 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:55 am
Posts: 384
Location: St Mary's Bay
Dimitri M wrote:
Hello "Chillbay",
In order to help your back you need to do 2 things.
Start doing these exercises that "RDM" showed you.
Then get a Seat Harness not a waist harness or a short harness but a SEAT HARNESS. But you need to try them first before you buy them and see how it feels on your back.

I broke my back twice. But I still use a waist harness for the things I do. But what helps me the most is these exercises.
Good luck.

Hi Dimitri
I have already got the waist harness and its working fine, i will however carry on with the work outs to make the weak areas stronger :thumb:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Best harness to stop lower back pain
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:36 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:00 am
Posts: 3980
Location: OUTER BANKS (NC) USA. Owner of EPICKITES
Very good. :thumb:


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], davesails7, iblocalsurfer, tautologies and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group