Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Naish momentum 2011

Forum for kitesurfers
Yoo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lillatro
Favorite Beaches: Poste Lafayette Mauritius ;o)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish momentum 2011

Postby Yoo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:45 am

Hi kiters,
i'm looking for a new TT board, I'll use it mostly for "freestyle" unhooked, is the momentum (131x40) fine for that? Or better Thorn?
Good things and bad things to know about theses boards? ?
Thanx

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Naish momentum 2011

Postby tautologies » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:56 am

Yoo wrote:Hi kiters,
i'm looking for a new TT board, I'll use it mostly for "freestyle" unhooked, is the momentum (131x40) fine for that? Or better Thorn?
Good things and bad things to know about theses boards? ?
Thanx
both are super for it. I have the thorn and love it. Feels a little looser than the momentum, but maybe a little stiffer. Thorn feel easier to slide and a maybe slightly better pop (this I will not bet on).

It seems to me than the momentum is an overall winner on the freestyle. I had the momentum last year, and it is a super sweet board.

There is nothing really negative to say about either board. The momentum I think is a better all round board and the thorn feels a little sharper while riding powered. For me it really was a coin toss, I don't regret getting the thorn, but I think I would have been equally happy on the momentum. :-)

Yoo
Rare Poster

Postby Yoo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:49 am

Ok thanx

sourra
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Reflex 141 + Naish Torch/Cult/Momentum/Custom + Bluebottle Custom

Postby sourra » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:27 pm

Go for the Momentum if you want to ride with wake bindings and step up one size, otherwise - go with the Thorn.

halfpipe62
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Alameda
Favorite Beaches: Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii
Style: Freestyle, some ocean riding
Gear: Naish

Postby halfpipe62 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:51 am

I have the momentum. Love the board. Super easy to ride and easy to land jumps because it is wider. BTW I am not sponsored or pimping gear. I pay full price for gear and ride what I love.

Thorn is much flatter but will hold a lot of power on the edge. They are a little scetchy in choppy water though because they hold so much power, if you skip out it is awkward. Tough on your knees too. They are a dream in flat water and overpowered conditions.

Momentum is fast and fun and really feels more like a wakeboard that actually works for kiteboarding. Easy on your knees in chop. They are built super durable and they are medium weight. They are not the lightest boards but the weight is balanced I think.

If I could have both Thorn and Momentum I would. Both have their days when you want one or the other.

Momentum = super fun, easy to learn and land ticks in most any conditions. First time you ride one you will have a huge smile and confidence to throw a new trick.

Thorn = you want to pop super high and you have even the most technical tricks mastered and you found some super flat water.

Yoo
Rare Poster

Postby Yoo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:44 am

First of all thanx for the answers :)
Shure I won’t ride with wake bindings and barely with perfect flat water… sometimes it may happen but real world is far from perfect conditions ;o)
I’m wondering if Momentum is not too soft and with “bad” upwind ability that’s the point...

Actually I’m riding Nobile Mark Shinn which is a good board, not too stiffer and not too smooth.. but still spray water on your face in choppy conditions (although less than the 666).
Another option might be the North Team series which is not so hard for your knees

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:27 pm

I was wondering that when decided to swap my Thorn with the Momentum.
Upwind ability is the same compared to Thorn,it's even more relaxed.
As it rides higher than the Thorn it goes upwind even when ridden flat.
Overall, the board is more comfortable without a drawback because of this.

L.

Return to “Kitesurfing”