Forum for kitesurfers
biggins
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kiting with a bodyboard???

Postby biggins » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi,

I've been kiting for years, and have used a TT, a skimboard, a surfboard, and even a SUP. I like using a surfboard with a kite since if the wind is no good, you can just paddle out. Unfortunately, travelling with a surfboard can be expensive with airlines. SO, a bodyboard came to mind for travelling to spots with good surf and wind. No matter what the day, you'd have something to do, and no worry of excess baggage fees, and it'd be easy to put in abackpack for using on trains, bicycles etc. anyway...

Just wondering if anyone has used a bodyboard with a kite? With the ammount of depower on the new kites, it seems like being pulled off your edge just isn't an issue. Might even be fun to try to jump with the leash attached and catch it in the air trying to land back on it??? :lol: well, until it snaps that is.

tx,

j

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Re: kiting with a bodyboard???

Postby dyyylan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:02 pm

and if you do snap it, you could always buy a new one at walmart for $15!

Your plan seems flawless :thumb:

gazxtreme
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Walney Island, Lake District, UK
Favorite Beaches: Sotovento Fuerte.
Sanbar at Hurghada Egypt.
Style: Old school, progressing to wake style
Gear: Starkites Sbow 08.
Starkites Sprint 134.
Brand Affiliation: I use Starkites in my school and rode for Starkites in 2008 BKSA grand prix.

Postby gazxtreme » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:25 pm

I remember seeing an amazingly funny clip on a retro kitesurfing video where Mr Naish and his buddies were buggering about and one of them ended up being gaffa taped laid down to a boogie board and let loose on a kite. Very funny clip and no doubt someone will know where to find it and put up a link, I would love to see it again.

kitevan
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kremasti, Faliraki, Prasonisi, Fanes
Favorite Beaches: Kremasti
Style: Old School
Gear: Best Waroo 7, 9, 11 & Flysurfer speed3 15m2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kitevan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Should work great on flat-ish water or smooth waves. It would probably be a problem in choppy water. Either way it would be fun to try, I will do it this summer and let you know! :thumb:

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:31 pm

gazxtreme wrote:I remember seeing an amazingly funny clip on a retro kitesurfing video where Mr Naish and his buddies were buggering about and one of them ended up being gaffa taped laid down to a boogie board and let loose on a kite. Very funny clip and no doubt someone will know where to find it and put up a link, I would love to see it again.
Extreme Body Dragging?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:49 am

gazxtreme wrote:I remember seeing an amazingly funny clip on a retro kitesurfing video where Mr Naish and his buddies were buggering about and one of them ended up being gaffa taped laid down to a boogie board and let loose on a kite. Very funny clip and no doubt someone will know where to find it and put up a link, I would love to see it again.

13 daze

biggins
Very Frequent Poster

Postby biggins » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:25 am

Yeah, 13 daze. I was thinking more for standing on though.

I figure it can:t be that much different to a skimboard...who knows though It has a bit of floatation, the new ones are super slick on the bottoms, and with two or more stringers it should be strong enough fo rmost things. we:ll see I guess.

it:d be great to pack a body board/kite/fins all in a bodyboard bag for travels though. No matter what the conditions, you:d be ready to rock...and the airlines aren:t too tough on bodyboards. (might make sense to pack a kiteboard in a bodyboard bag?)

might have to try it out and see what happens...I:ll let you know if it sucks...probably will, but at least I:ll have that curiousity bug out of my head. lol.

tx,

j

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:38 pm

This one gets good reports as a stand-up bodyboard. Its about 117 by 57 cm, so you could maybe put a wide short kiteboard in the bag too for stronger winds.

http://www.toobs.com/store/Herlihy.html

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:39 am

Done it, but not for too long as the flex was too easy/soft.
So depending on where you placed your feet you would get huge rocker or inverse rocker wih one foot on either end.
Always good for a laugh though.
Nico

Return to “Kitesurfing”