Forum for kitesurfers
Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Camber
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay
Style: Freeride/Freestyle ish!
Gear: 8 & 12 mtr RPM's

132 Xenon Laluz, cant afford anything else!
Brand Affiliation: I own a PC so I must be affiliated to Microsoft, I wish :-)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kitesurfing school in Fuerteventura

Postby Chillbay » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:47 am

Hi Cran, one of the best places is down the south of the island, sotovento at the Rene Egli Centre. It's where they hold the kitesurfing championship every year. It's on the beach and the instructors use jet ski's to keep tabs on you, have a look at their web site, it's even got a web cam so you can have a look at the area. I know it's down south, but if your serious about learnin get down there for a few days, you also have the best beaches on the island in the area, good luck, the sport is very addictive so beware :thumb:

Cranberry
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Cranberry » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:05 am

You guys scare me! :baby:

Cranberry
Rare Poster

Postby Cranberry » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:11 am

Chillbay wrote:Hi Cran, one of the best places is down the south of the island, sotovento at the Rene Egli Centre. It's where they hold the kitesurfing championship every year. It's on the beach and the instructors use jet ski's to keep tabs on you, have a look at their web site, it's even got a web cam so you can have a look at the area. I know it's down south, but if your serious about learnin get down there for a few days, you also have the best beaches on the island in the area, good luck, the sport is very addictive so beware :thumb:
Thanks for your advice :)
I'm thinking of renting a car for a couple of days so it might be quite a good idea to go there for some lessons.
I know about the addiction :) I've got some kitesurfing friends and the last couple of years I spent sitting on the beach watching them ride. So I'm quite tired of wasting my time doing nothing when I could actually have the same fun :naughty:

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:00 am

Don't believe everything you read. Some of the guys here have funny opinions.

Just a few things you need to know about the South.

1) The Lagoon is only there 3 days either side of a full or new moon.

2) The main wind direction there is offshore an extremely gusty.

3) The south gets a lot less usable winds in the winter season.

Now lets clear things up about the North, as mr gaz here has said a couple of things that are not true.

1) I also have never heard of a single major injury on a course. I don't know where he got the info, but it certainly did not happen here at Flag.

2) I don't know when gazes friends come, but they must have a knack for coming very time there is something wrong with the rescue boat. That boat is there every day in the summer and rescues a lot of Kiters, even ones not signed up to the rescue service. I may not work for them anymore, but I still help out and drive that boat and get people if they are busy at the center. There are times where there is something wrong with the Engine (it happens), but we have always found a way to go out an get someone, even if it means windsurfing out to get them. There are actually 3 Boats that belong to that center.

3) My Girlfriend learned to kite from that beach. It's not as hardcore as some people make it sound. It's actually pretty easy and the conditions are way better than the other beaches as the wind is very clean (eg. not gusty). After you finish your course it's the easiest beach to practice off of on the Island.

4) One thing that no one mentioned is: The chance of wind in February can be pretty low. So be prepared that there may be no wind when you are coming. It is always a possibility. Your chances of actually getting any lessons are far higher in the North of the Island, than in the south.

Basically, just check out the Places when you are there, and you can make your own decision.

Have fun on the Island and I hope you are bringing us some nice weather and wind. :)

--
Gunnar

Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay

Postby Chillbay » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:01 am

You won't regret it, if your there for a couple of weeks the south is the best part of the island, great eating out places in Jandia, the town of Costa Calma is near the kite centre so you could get digs there for a few days. You know what they say, you kitesurf till your bankrupt, I think I'm near to it :P

Cranberry
Rare Poster

Postby Cranberry » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:15 am

gmb13 wrote: I hope you are bringing us some nice weather and wind. :)

--
Gunnar
I'll do my best :D

Chillbay
Frequent Poster
Greatstone
St Mary's Bay

Postby Chillbay » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:35 am

I would say as Gunner is a resident of the island he is the best person to listen to here, I've been there a few times and love the island and if I could I'd live there, I've only been there in the summer months, will try to get there for Aug 2 for the start of the PKRA :cool2:

Cranberry
Rare Poster

Postby Cranberry » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 am

Chillbay wrote:You won't regret it, if your there for a couple of weeks the south is the best part of the island, great eating out places in Jandia, the town of Costa Calma is near the kite centre so you could get digs there for a few days. You know what they say, you kitesurf till your bankrupt, I think I'm near to it :P
That's what I could say about snowboarding, then skiing and now yachting :))))) Reaching out for an addictive activity is always dangerous for your social well-being and finance :duh:
If I don't go to the south this time I may return there in May. I'm planning to get a RYA skipper license at Tenerife, so it's quite tempting because it's too near :dance:

And when you have to fly for at least 3 hours to get to any proper activity place you really start to appreciate every travelling possibility. Not much here in my assh-le of geography :roll:

CrazyNor
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Dahab, Egypt
Coche Island, Venezuela
Style: Freestyle, Speed.

Postby CrazyNor » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:19 am

I also reccomend the Rene Egli Centre, in south. Despite the lagoon has limited extencion, the beach is great! A really long beach where you always have a stable wind to relay on. I reccomend you to take a visit there, and as said above, you can look at the livecam to see the ocean.

About the FlagBeach, I have experienced that it can be a lot of waves. I have not tried the center there, but I would say that if you don't feel comfortable in the waves, you should make a bit more research to find a better place. But however, the beach there is okay.

Good luck!

Seraphial
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Pissouri in Cyprus & Flag Beach in Fuerterventura
Style: Freeride & Freestyle
Gear: Flexifoil Neutron 9m & 12m
Brunotti Onyx 2010
Prolimit Hadlow waist harness
Xcel wetsuits

Postby Seraphial » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:30 pm

I know how this will look - so before I go into it let me say I've got no affiliation with Danny whatsoever, other than he's a good bloke.

http://www.str8upsurfschool.com/

I did a lot of research before I went to Fuerte last year, and after speaking to these guys I chose them. Danny's a resident there, so knows his way around. He's a very nice bloke, was more than willing to pick you up from the hotel, was understanding and explained things well. I can well recommend him. After my few days of lessons he even took me out one more time when he didn't need to, cause he really wanted me to land my starts and turns. That was really impressive.

He's usually there in the high season and works in the UK in the off, give him a bell to see if he's around.

A couple of things about Fuerte and Flag (and these are things from purely a beginner's POV) -

1) Yup, Flag isn't as hardcore as some people say, but I'd really suggest only going out when it's high tide (the rocks can hurt - trust me) and you bring some reef boots if you're not used to it

2) Be ultra aware of where you are - there's a bank of rocks sticking out on the right and if you're not careful, you'll soon notice they're right up next to you.

3) I've heard different stories about the operators Flagbeach. 1st they do have all the gear and know-how. That's good. However, I'm in two minds about the teaching. I hired some gear from them adn went out on a boat full of students. I was ok out in the water, but some of the students were basically put out there on their third day, and the boat would then speed off to drop off the other students in different parts of the sea. I'm not too sure whether that's the best place to learn, especially if you've paid for a course and expect tuition on board starts, etc.

4) The other place you can try is the lagoons near Cotillo, near the lighthouse. There's a four hour window at high tide which you can take advantage of. There's lots of talk of people being banned, etc but I've seen a few operators out there, and having done Flag Beach and the lagoons, I'd rather learn at the lagoons.

Hope that helps!

Return to “Kitesurfing”