Don't believe everything you read. Some of the guys here have funny opinions.
Just a few things you need to know about the South.
1) The Lagoon is only there 3 days either side of a full or new moon.
2) The main wind direction there is offshore an extremely gusty.
3) The south gets a lot less usable winds in the winter season.
Now lets clear things up about the North, as mr gaz here has said a couple of things that are not true.
1) I also have never heard of a single major injury on a course. I don't know where he got the info, but it certainly did not happen here at Flag.
2) I don't know when gazes friends come, but they must have a knack for coming very time there is something wrong with the rescue boat. That boat is there every day in the summer and rescues a lot of Kiters, even ones not signed up to the rescue service. I may not work for them anymore, but I still help out and drive that boat and get people if they are busy at the center. There are times where there is something wrong with the Engine (it happens), but we have always found a way to go out an get someone, even if it means windsurfing out to get them. There are actually 3 Boats that belong to that center.
3) My Girlfriend learned to kite from that beach. It's not as hardcore as some people make it sound. It's actually pretty easy and the conditions are way better than the other beaches as the wind is very clean (eg. not gusty). After you finish your course it's the easiest beach to practice off of on the Island.
4) One thing that no one mentioned is: The chance of wind in February can be pretty low. So be prepared that there may be no wind when you are coming. It is always a possibility. Your chances of actually getting any lessons are far higher in the North of the Island, than in the south.
Basically, just check out the Places when you are there, and you can make your own decision.
Have fun on the Island and I hope you are bringing us some nice weather and wind.